Sick Pink Toe

KittenAB

Arachnopeon
I've had my pink toe for a year and a half and he has molted once a few weeks after I got him and hasn't since them. Over the last few months I can't get him to eat and he looks very sad. I got a companion T and she's doing great and is very active but he still won't eat. I tried separating him with his ow cricket and still nothing.

He became very dehydrated a few days ago and I found him in the death curl. I immediately put him in the ICU which didn't help so I put him in a bowl with water and he was moving around and gripping less then 24 hrs later.

However he still has not eaten. I mashed up some cricket and tried "force feeding" him and he didn't eat any of it. I am concerned about nematode worms as he had a very small white spot at the base of his mouth but after he was dehydrated it seems to have disappeared. Please help, I can't stand it if he dies.

Happy Aragog when I got him

Death curl. You can see the small white spot.

Hydrating

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It is mature and most likely nearing the end of his life. There's nothing much you can do at this point except to keep him hydrated.
A year and a half after maturing is pretty good for a male Avic.

I got another Pink Toe as a companion a bit ago (after he stopped eating) and they get along famously but he still didn't start eating.
Also, I would avoid doing this in the future with any kind of tarantula. I suspect the only reason they got along at all was because the other one was a female or juvenile.

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yeah "companion" T isn't really a thing. It's not a depressed female mouse or a puppy or something that wants to play.

Some people with large enough enclosures and lots of hiding places ave kept Avics communally I know, but it seems to be the consensus that this is still not recommended and cannibalism may still occur.

At least that's what I've read from many sources.

KittenAB

Arachnopeon
I did a lot of research before I got a second. They are the same size and are in a 10 gallon aquarium. Thank you for the advice, I imagine I'm going to be very sad very soon.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'm sure he was a happy tarantula. And you have a new Avic to grow with now. He'd want you to get 5 more tarantulas.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I would forget your research sources that suggested that you get company for a lonely tarantula.
These are tolerant at best, and you are very lucky they didn't manage to eat each other.

gobey

Arachnoknight
/\
What he said.

About any research I've seen is you just get 1 fat tarantula at the end of that. Although some have kept Avics communally, why risk it? Losing your $ and your T.

Especially since you seem genuinely attached to your Ts. :)

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it possible for a T to feel sadness? I've never heard of this before.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
I dont think people will ever know it for sure! But the most mogic answer is 'no'. I think their brains are to small for feeling emotions (regretable, but the truth).

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yeah I don't think they're getting sad when I'm not around. In fact they'd probably prefer if they never saw me.

KittenAB

Arachnopeon
I think his "sad" look was because he was getting old. He sadly passed last night.
How can you tell a mature T?

cold blood

Staff member
I think his "sad" look was because he was getting old. He sadly passed last night.
How can you tell a mature T?
Sorry to hear he passed.

You can tell a mature male because in its final molt, which is when it will be "mature", it will have emboli on the ends of its palps, often referred to as "boxing gloves" due to somewhat of a resemblance. Some species (many actually) also develop tibial hooks, leading to the phrase "hooked out" in reference to some MM's.

KittenAB

Arachnopeon
Yeah he had both. I'm still really need to owning T's. Up until my Aragog I had arachnophobia lol. They are great creature s though.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss, Avics are swell spiders. If she remains healthy your female will be with you for quite a long time.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss, Avics are swell spiders. If she remains healthy your female will be with you for quite a long time.
Average lifespan for Avics (females!) is between 8-15 years. The oldest I heard of in my circle of keepers over here was 12 years old though. Not sure if 15 is a stretch hence...