Caught an adult male T. Gigantea in my bath and I have a female.....

Kron

Arachnosquire
She's quite young, a summer old, she's probably a shed or two away from full size. I'm worried if I keep the male for breeding later he may die before she's old enough to mate. Should I release him so that he can breed with other females and catch another male next year or do you think he'll make it? Because I have know idea how old he is, he may be on his last legs for all I know :/

Last edited:

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Tegenaria gigantea(and T.duellica, T.atrica and T.saeva) is nowdays known as Eratigena atrica.

For your question though I'm sorry I have no answer. I have a similar problem with S.grossa but as they are not native to Finland, waiting is my only option.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Male tegenaria/eratigena actually have a decent lifespan, they continue to hunt while searching for females.

during this time, the males feed on whatever bumps into them, which is how most people get bit by funnelweavers, which normally never bite humans.

Kron

Arachnosquire
Tegenaria gigantea(and T.duellica, T.atrica and T.saeva) is nowdays known as Eratigena atrica.

For your question though I'm sorry I have no answer. I have a similar problem with S.grossa but as they are not native to Finland, waiting is my only option.
Yeah I know I just think it sounds cooler :p oooh I have an S. grossa too, only a female though

---------- Post added 08-31-2014 at 08:58 AM ----------

Male tegenaria/eratigena actually have a decent lifespan, they continue to hunt while searching for females.

during this time, the males feed on whatever bumps into them, which is how most people get bit by funnelweavers, which normally never bite humans.
Great ^_^ just tested it by dropping a young Garden spider in (He looked pretty slim and I don't have anything else in my garden other than woodlice, ants and tiny wolf spiders, and I've recently run out of crickets :/)

Last edited: