What do y'all keep your ephobopus in?

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
I've had mine (emerald skeleton) in a KK with about 5" of coco fiber. He burrowed straight to the bottom then he followed the floor of the KK. I have this old pickle jar it's about a gallon. It's a foot tall (and plastic) I'm assuming that would be more suitable? I'd rather give him more burrow room then floor space even though he comes out and explores pretty often for a pet hole. Note I use the term he very lightly. Like hydrogen light. And so this isn't such a bone dry thread I'd also like to know/see what you keep your ephos in. Or any pet hole for that matter

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep my Blue Fangs in containers that allow burrowing AND exploration as that is their behavior.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I gave my adult female murinus 8 inches of substrate and it burrowed on its own. My blue fang I also keep on deep moist substrate.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I've had mine (emerald skeleton) in a KK with about 5" of coco fiber. He burrowed straight to the bottom then he followed the floor of the KK. I have this old pickle jar it's about a gallon. It's a foot tall (and plastic) I'm assuming that would be more suitable? I'd rather give him more burrow room then floor space even though he comes out and explores pretty often for a pet hole. Note I use the term he very lightly. Like hydrogen light. And so this isn't such a bone dry thread I'd also like to know/see what you keep your ephos in. Or any pet hole for that matter
I keep all my slings in little (tall) deli cups filled 4/5 of the way with Eco earth. I keep my sub-adult H.gigas in a medium critter keeper with about the same amount of substrate.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I followed SpiderEngineer's YouTube vid about keeping haplopelma sp.
I use walmart's mainstays brand gallon plastic container for my king baboon and Indian violet and they are constantly digging. Since T's don't have a great capacity for sight, I don't think fossorial T's mind limited floor space. I'm not familiar with the behavior with Ephobopus sp, but that's what I do for pet holes.

EDIT:
Now that I'm, not on my phone i can give some links:
Gallon jar I use for my fossorial T's:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-1-Gal-Canister/16408650
I fill it up to like 3 or 4 inches from the top and remove dirt the T excavates and keep in in a baggie in case they need more dirt.

Here is the video I referred to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyjKIQmluF0
I try to reference this when I am setting up fossorial Tarantulas.

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My Ephebopus female is in a large Rubbermaid container with about 7 inches of substrate which she burrowed in diagonally. I actually have plans to move her once I move myself (because as it stands her container is already insanely heavy...trying to move her in an even larger, heavier one is fraught with 'No thanks').

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually, KritterKeeper without any problems. Admittedly, covered 50% of the lid to restrict humidity escape. Otherwise the T looks and behaves normally. Except for being quite calm :p

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
I keep my E. murinus female in an oval-shaped cereal container with a few air holes drilled on each side. It doesn't offer much floor space, but she has about 7 inches of burrowable substrate, which she has piled up into a mound several inches higher that she will sit on. I used to have her in a large tub with much more floor space, but she didn't make use of any of it from what I had seen, so this seems to suit her more.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love the eye arrangement on E. murinus. My female is very chill thankfully. She's nothing like my blue-fang.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This brings to mind something I've been thinking about for fossorial tarantulas: A cage shaped like an upside down T. The spider can burrow down deep, then has two directions to expand the burrow. Would also work well for viewing purposes.