I have a question concerning Emperor scorpions.

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
I have some scorpions I bough a while back sold as Emperor scorpions, but have heard if their is a hint of red at all on the claws that they are not true Emperors and that they are Red Claw scorpions. I then did some reading on line about Red claw scorpions and am thinking that I do have true Emperors. I'd like to know what I truly have because I have sucess fully bread them. I will post a picture. Please tell help me truly identify what I have. If possible does anyone know why all this confusion exists?

---------- Post added 08-31-2014 at 05:48 PM ----------

How do I upload a pic in this thread? Is it possible?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pictures will help, though there are other Pandinus species, too. P. cavimanus (Red claw) is typically more brownish all over and has smoother claws. P. imperator is more of a true black with bumpier claws. Cavimanus also tend to be more cantankerous and less communally oriented than P. imperator. If I recall correctly, P. cavimanus do better in less humid conditions than imperator.

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
Sound like I have Emperors then. They are very dark not rell brownish. How do I post pics?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sound like I have Emperors then. They are very dark not rell brownish. How do I post pics?
I'm a little technologically challenged so forgive my lack of appropriate terminology.
First you upload your pictures to a photo site such as Photobucket, Image Shack, Flickr, etc. Then you copy the link to the photo(s) onto the thread. Maybe someone more technologically savvy will be along and describe it better. :)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL Sort of hard to tell with all those babies on her. :) The hairy claws and telson look P. imperator. But, I'm not well versed in the trichobothria differences between the Pandinus species. P. dictator and P. imperator are very similar. P. ugandaensis is closer to P. cavimanus with more brown and red. There are a boatload of other P. species, too. Imperator is the most common in the trade.

Does she not have a hide?

Last edited:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didn't want to hog your thread. I just posted some pics of some of mine under the Scorpions Picture thread. You can see the pebbly claws with all the hairs. Except for the fresh molt, they are deep black with almost a green tint to them.

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright let me make this easy for you.

It is common for P. imperator to have a brownish-red tint on their claws. Most of them have this.

Go to your search bar type thing, and type in 'Pandinus cavimanus,' then when you're done, compare it with the picture you just took.

HOORAY FOR ITNARWEBS!!!!