Avicularia aurantica conflict

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
0411_a_aurantiaca.jpeg IMG_2114.jpg

Hello everyone, I know someone who's convinced they have a aurantica and they doesn't believe me. I need some support to help this person to understand that this person is wrong. No matter where you get your slings from the seller can be mistaken. I'm going out of my way to make sure no hybrid breeding happens. I understand it happens, but I want to prevent hybrids in this hobby. Any input from any of my fellow hobbyists would be great. The greenish yellow is the aurantica and the blue one is suppose to be a aurantiaca. Thanks everyone

Mods: sorry I put up a copyright picture, I will change the picture after work.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
View attachment 129574 View attachment 129573

Hello everyone, I know someone who's convinced they have a aurantica and they doesn't believe me. I need some support to help this person to understand that this person is wrong. No matter where you get your slings from the seller can be mistaken. I'm going out of my way to make sure no hybrid breeding happens. I understand it happens, but I want to prevent hybrids in this hobby. Any input from any of my fellow hobbyists would be great. The greenish yellow is the aurantica and the blue one is suppose to be a aurantiaca. Thanks everyone
The blue one looks like A. avic to me......

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never seen aurantica come in blue. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist out there in some jungle, but I've never come across one that was. As for the blue one, the image is too blurry to make a reasonable guestimate. From what I see, it could be a metallica, but that pic is too blurry, and the carapace is not totally viewable along w/abdomen

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys! I'll post another picture of the blue avic. I don't think there's a color form of this aurantica. I know a lot about the avicularia genus, but I would like to hear from some avicularia experts!

---------- Post added 09-01-2014 at 12:14 AM ----------

Avicularia avicularia with have red hair on their abdomens. From the picture It looks like a metallica to me.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Avicularia avicularia with have red hair on their abdomens. From the picture It looks like a metallica to me.
agreed looks like A.met almost said that 20mins ago but didnt wana look like a moron and be wrong possibly XD

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You're not a moron. The problem with the avicularia genus is the tiny differences in the avics, sellers, and the wc specimen(s). I fornatuely know avic experts and I've done a ton of research.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Still resembles metallica, though in that light it's a bit more green. Which means nothing because the same T can look completely different with different lightning. Looks like the setae on the dorso-medial region are reddish in this pic.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I agree, pictures can be very misleading, especially with this genus. What I would look for is the thin, long, shaggy, pink setae that I have only seen on aurantiaca. This specimen seems to have thicker, shorter, white-tipped setae that resembles sp. metallica.

Here is my aurantiaca for comparison.

4-5" female:

image.jpg

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
ya that light makes it look green in carapas with a reddish abd. but also makes the pink toes look really orange-ish for my screen

but CEC's pic posted makes carapas have a green hugh as well gah... why must every difference be so subtle with avics lmao XD

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stunning avicularia aurantica!!!! I would agree with you guys, photos can be misleading.

Last edited:

tweakz

Arachnosquire
I agree, pictures can be very misleading, especially with this genus. What I would look for is the thin, long, shaggy, pink setae that I have only seen on aurantiaca. This specimen seems to have thicker, shorter, white-tipped setae that resembles sp. metallica.

Here is my aurantiaca for comparison.

4-5" female:

View attachment 129577
with every picture avics are becoming my favorites. I guess that's why of the last 8 T's I've purchased 5 have been avics.