What do you use to glue/attach a screen top to a lid?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pretty much what the title says. I tried a hot glue gun and the mesh keeps popping off in parts. Would some kind of caulk work better? Appreciate the advice.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Pretty much what the title says. I tried a hot glue gun and the mesh keeps popping off in parts. Would some kind of caulk work better? Appreciate the advice.
personally i tried both ways for my rodent and roach bins.. it seemed hot glue worked better. but it seems some brands of silicone are better then others on wide set screen [i used with 1/2in] as apposed to screen door style screen, but eventually they all get pulled apart by the force of the metal trying to pull away to the way it wants. hot glue is harder once set. maybe even try a contact cement, i cannot vouch for that however. also it appeared as tho a rough surface helped the hot glue for me as apposed to the flat sterilite top but may have just been my mind playing tricks on me tho :) gl bob

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used good clear packing tape to tape down the screen and it never came off. Tape it from the top of the lid down. Not the underside or it will eventually fall.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A couple of thinks. Not all hot glue is the same. In fact there are several hundred versions, most of which are application or temperature critical and never see the commercial home owner market. Shop around. There are hot glues used to assemble vehicles, hot glues to assist in armor plating. That can replace metal fasteners. Shop around.

And of course, when all else fails, a good quality epoxy putty which will outlive the lid of the tank, the occupants, the tank itself, you and your home.