Native centipede identification

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I caught this centipede 2 summers ago (I don't know how to word that better lol). It molted once since then and that was about a week ago. It is only about an inch long. Found In North Carolina, any ideas?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does this help?
Click the photo to see the full size

---------- Post added 09-01-2014 at 08:10 PM ----------

Ok, well on FB I have gotten two different species. Some people think it is a Rhysida longipes and the ever so more popular answer, Scolopendra mutilans. Evidently people aren't good at reading when I say "Caught in North Carolina" because I don't think I am in Africa or China.

---------- Post added 09-01-2014 at 08:55 PM ----------

The person that said the Chinese Red Head Centipede said they can be found almost everywhere in the world...including North Carolina. Is this true?

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
How long is it? I personally would go with Rhysida longipes, and they are a introduced species to the US ecspecially in your area.

S. mutilans seems unlikely though

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think someone on Facebook ID'ed it properly. He said Hemiscolopendra marginata. He said it was a young one though, does this look like an young H. marginata?

Its about an inch and a half.

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
It could possibly be Hemiscolopendra marginata but I dont know then to have red heads. A picture of the terminal legs may help ID' ing.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
It's not a Hemiscolopendra marginata. The terminal legs (and the rest of it) are too thin and wiry.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, darn. I thought they had it right on the nail! Well than. I can get more photos if necessary.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I can't quite make it out but agree with zhangjunduo. Probably young. Also, it's sister species on the west coast does have locale specific colorforms.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do I count the forcipules and terminal legs? Even the really small ones before the forcipules? Also, are you guys referring to Scolopocryptops sexpinosus?

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 10:57 PM ----------

I believe I counted 22 pairs, without forcipules and terminal legs.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
on another forum I counted 21 pairs, that does not count the 'fangs' or terminals, only walking legs

---------- Post added 09-04-2014 at 03:38 AM ----------

Scolopocryptops sexpinosus have 23 pairs and could be native to your area, but IME dont look like that pic in any stage

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I have found that species before but this doesn't look like it. I counted correctly, I did it like 7 times so yeah lol. Any other ideas lol?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Do I count the forcipules and terminal legs? Even the really small ones before the forcipules? Also, are you guys referring to Scolopocryptops sexpinosus?

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 10:57 PM ----------

I believe I counted 22 pairs, without forcipules and terminal legs.
I'm forgetting whether to include forcipules or terminals. It is one or the other in leg count which will bring you to 23. See Turgut's illustration here showing 21 pairs on Scolopendra morsitans:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/content.php?28-Scolopendromorpha-anatomy

Yes on Scolocryptops sexpinosus.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, it is really bugging me on the species. I hope someone can chime in one what it is!