Is this a good deal?

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know a whole lot about tarantula pricing, and I tried looking around a little at prices for each of these species but was looking to get some different opinions.

It was an ad on craigslist, the guy sent me pics and all the T's look healthy: "I sold off the majority of my tarantula collection a year ago. I only kept a few of my most difficult to find tarantulas. Well it's time to see them. I have 6" Brazilian black female, 6" Mexican red knee female, 3"+ Scota island blue unsexed, two 3"+ ultra marinus unsexed but extremely rare and beautiful. I've paid a pretty penny for each, Brazilian black was $500 alone. I'm looking for $500 for the entire collection. This includes all of their cages and set ups. This is a steal. Looking for serious collectors only."

Good deal or should I pass it up?

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
It's about what they're going for.Not a super special deal,but not a bad one IMO.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
Imo this is a VERY good deal if you compare each to what they are going for at retail costs. I would pull cash out of savings for this if the ts are what the seller is advertising them as.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't know a whole lot about tarantula pricing, and I tried looking around a little at prices for each of these species but was looking to get some different opinions.

It was an ad on craigslist, the guy sent me pics and all the T's look healthy: "I sold off the majority of my tarantula collection a year ago. I only kept a few of my most difficult to find tarantulas. Well it's time to see them. I have 6" Brazilian black female, 6" Mexican red knee female, 3"+ Scota island blue unsexed, two 3"+ ultra marinus unsexed but extremely rare and beautiful. I've paid a pretty penny for each, Brazilian black was $500 alone. I'm looking for $500 for the entire collection. This includes all of their cages and set ups. This is a steal. Looking for serious collectors only."

Good deal or should I pass it up?
Either he's pulling your leg about the price of the pulchra or he got robbed, they're expensive, but 500bills is crazy for such a fairly common t. He must have got it as a sexed adult. That said, a single P. ultramarinus sling under an inch generally run a good $250. The price he's asking is really, really low...if he pieced everything there out you'd be looking at 1500 at least, and that's just considering the spiders.

I have yet to see an add on craigslist where the keepers actually had proper cages and set-ups, so don't bank on them, but still a screamin deal without question.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'd jump all over that. You could sell both of the pamphs and get all of your money back, I'd personally keep and breed them when they mature, you'll get all your investment back with just a few slings. Even if they have bad cages, some sterlite tubs would work well for them and are dirt cheap.

Mariner1

Arachnosquire
That seems like an awesome deal. Maybe the 500 for the G. pulchra is a typo, Just make sure you meet in a very public place and take somebody with you.

CLICKBANGBANG

Arachnopeon
Either he's pulling your leg about the price of the pulchra or he got robbed, they're expensive, but 500bills is crazy for such a fairly common t. He must have got it as a sexed adult.
There is a 6" female G. pulchra in the for sale forum for $500 right now. They go for $45-$60 for 1/2"-3/4" slings.

I do think that much money is nuts for a pet spider... But then I stand back and add up my collection costs with enclosures... Then I think I'm nuts.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
There is a 6" female G. pulchra in the for sale forum for $500 right now. They go for $45-$60 for 1/2"-3/4" slings.

I do think that much money is nuts for a pet spider... But then I stand back and add up my collection costs with enclosures... Then I think I'm nuts.
That doesn't make it realistic or the norm though, and it also doesn't mean it's going to sell.

I do think it's an ok deal, even if the larger unsexed Ts turn out to be male (which is what I would assume, since they're well beyond a size to be able to be sexed). Whether to buy from him or not is another matter--using common names always makes me dubious of a seller's knowledge and thus I wonder how well they've been kept, how healthy they are, how accurately sexed...and then he's misspelling the common names on top of it. Eh.....

CLICKBANGBANG

Arachnopeon
That doesn't make it realistic or the norm though, and it also doesn't mean it's going to sell.
Oh, I agree with you! But I've seen oceanfront property in Arizona sell for a premium. It's plausible that the OPs seller bought the G. pulchra for that much.

Last edited:

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks everyone! Here are the pictures I got sent...looks ok?

The set ups don't look fantastic, and in one picture, looks like the water dish is completely empty...but it's a little hard to tell.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I personally think its a nice deal big ol smithi, and pulchra. 2 ultramarius.. that alone is like 2.5-3x investment imo.. ig depends where you are. Even if the cages are 10gals with wood chips (bad ofcourse) or even 2.5's its still a steal and a days work and you can have them in better setups ^_^