New Tarantula??

BeardedSpiderMan98

Arachnopeon
I'm getting a new T. Hmmmm this is a tough decision! I really want an a. versicolor, or a p. regalis... perhaps both haha!

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hate to rain on the parade, but this sort of thread is much better suited to the "Tarantula Chat" section of the forum.
Get the versi though, they're awesome.

tweakz

Arachnosquire
If you want to further your addiction by adding a sub-addiction, buy an avic then there's no stopping.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'm thinking the versi, they are the polar opposite of pokies as they are more relaxed, not as fast and you are not going to be vomiting everywhere if one bites you. Of course I have no idea what your experience is but I'm thinking you are on the new side of the spectrum, plus versis they are some of the cutest slings ever as they are an electric blue.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Then again, that p. regalis is pretty awesome. As long as you know what you're getting into have at it. I'm about to be getting my first pokie (p. pederseni). Been doing the research and it's not something to be scared of. No more than an obt anyways. They all deserve respect, just these guys demand a little more.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Are you new to Ts? I feel like you said you were not. If you're not, and you feel up for a Regalis. Try him out. I want one one day
My Avic is really mellow and probably my easiest T to work with. The one I'm best "friends" with.

But man is it not the messiest tarantula. Poop cleaning on the wall and in the water dish like 4x a week minimum. And just dirty enclosure in general. But people do seem to love them. Especially Versi's.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Then again, that p. regalis is pretty awesome. As long as you know what you're getting into have at it. I'm about to be getting my first pokie (p. pederseni). Been doing the research and it's not something to be scared of. No more than an obt anyways. They all deserve respect, just these guys demand a little more.
It's P.vittata now :). But pokies require great reflexes and patience, so I think the OP will have more "fun" with the avic as they are a baby step towards faster Ts.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I can't remember if OP has had Ts before. His profile just says 3 Ts 7 true spiders. He had that intro topic up the other day.

*Edit
Ok he's got a psalmopoeus cambridgei, brachypelma smithi and grammastola rosea, as well as seven eratigena atricas (true spiders)

So I can't comment on how those true spiders equate into this but the Psalmo kinda puts him in a game with maybe being closer to a P. Regalis than an A. Versi than a total beginner. Depending on how comfortable you are with it.

Depends on what you're looking for in your next T too. Something pretty but reclusive? Something colorful? Something big? Something defensive? Something mellow?

Or both..... That's what you'll do sooner or later anyways...

Just don't wanna go around recommending pokies gettin reamed out. But you got an interesting T in your collection. How do you feel about your Cambridgei?

Get slings? Grow comfortable with both spiders from babies to adults.

Anyways good luck! You're gonna have something soon I'm sure.

Last edited:

BeardedSpiderMan98

Arachnopeon
I love my cambridgei!! Im on the new side in terms of tarantulas but have cared for hundreds of true spiders in my time. Guess I have some shopping to do!!

BSM

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm thinking the versi, they are the polar opposite of pokies as they are more relaxed, not as fast
Really?? I'm sure individuals do vary but my versi is 10x more likely to bolt at a high speed then my regalis girl.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Really?? I'm sure individuals do vary but my versi is 10x more likely to bolt at a high speed then my regalis girl.
Well I mean a generalization. My versi is more excitable then most of my OW but it does not change the fact that they are a more beginner friendly species. If the OP can re-house and care for the psalmo for a while (no idea how long they've had it) then some OW should not be a disaster.

cold blood

Staff member
I was never really interested in the Avic genus, but was always interested in Poec's due to their stunning patterns (among other things). Recently (spring) I received a P. vittata. Its been really nice, good looker, even as a sling, great eater, fast grower and really low maintence. But it hides all the time, no biggie as I can still see it, but I don't catch it out roaming too much, if at all and I don't see it eat very often (unlike the avic's and psalmo's). My p. cams are actually out more, and they're pretty reclusive. I'm sure things will change with size (currently only 1.75"), as my P. cams (and irminia) grow they're out more (they're a bit over 2"), I suspect the same from the vittata, as they seem quite similar in many ways.

Around the same timeframe that I received the poec, I was convinced to get an Avic my someone on AB that I have developed a pretty good relationship with...he really digs avics. I picked up a pair of versi slings and have been more than pleasantly surprised. They web, are often visible, and even at 1/2", they were aggressive eaters that tend to pounce or chase quickly. Slower growers, but a real unexpected treat and I am very glad to have been talked into the Avic genus. I will definitely be getting more of them in the future, I underrated them big time. Mine are currently just under an inch of blue fury.

Can't go wrong either way, both cool t's... but I think in the end that I do like the versi's a tad more....so far...and its not like poecs aren't sweet, too. In the end I believe I will eventually own several of each genus.

Happy buyin'

BeardedSpiderMan98

Arachnopeon
My P. cambridge is a sling. You can check my youtube channel at beardedspiderman98. I think I show her in the spider collection video. Shes doing great and has webbed up nicely, feeds well and is constantly at work!
BSM

awiec

Arachnoprince
My P. cambridge is a sling. You can check my youtube channel at beardedspiderman98. I think I show her in the spider collection video. Shes doing great and has webbed up nicely, feeds well and is constantly at work!
BSM
Perhaps get her close to adulthood as really slings are big babies, adults will be more bold. Once you get the hang of it then an ow will be within your skill range

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
As long as you know what you're getting into, nothing wrong with P. regalis. I have four, plus a P. subfusca HL, and every time I open their enclosures, they become instant pet holes. :)

gobey

Arachnoknight
As long as you know what you're getting into, nothing wrong with P. regalis. I have four, plus a P. subfusca HL, and every time I open their enclosures, they become instant pet holes. :)
I have 2 on the way this week! :D
Little 1 inch guys. Part of my sling project. :)

Right now I'm more concerned about my freshly molted 5" L.P. behavior wise. It's decided my hand is food now and it's less afraid of me.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have 2 on the way this week! :D
Little 1 inch guys. Part of my sling project. :)

Right now I'm more concerned about my freshly molted 5" L.P. behavior wise. It's decided my hand is food now and it's less afraid of me.
That's what happens with age. Same with the pokies, my regalis and metallica have become feisty as of late while my vittata has retained his chill demeanor. Though I've had some T's chill out a bit like my pamph who was high strung as a small sling and now is more confident and likes to attack water droplets, still retreats when I do cleaning but does not seem as stressed about it when it was younger.