My new Flameleg millipedes

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got 10 Juveniles from SDCPs. They arrived in great shape and are settling in well. :biggrin:

Here is a short video of them being removed from the packing container and put in their temporary home:
[video=youtube_share;d4XaKh0p40Y]http://youtu.be/d4XaKh0p40Y[/video]

SDCPs

Arachnolord
It's always interesting to see a customer video. Thank you for posting. I'm glad they arrived in such good shape! I'm doing something right with the packing :happy:

I often have these Trigoniulus macropygus for sale Here in case you were curious.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's always interesting to see a customer video. Thank you for posting. I'm glad they arrived in such good shape! I'm doing something right with the packing :happy:
Thanks again for such great millipedes and a marvelous packing job! I have now finished setting up their 10-gallon tank with 3 inches of coir fiber, a top-dressing of oak/maple leaves, and some rotten maple wood. I drilled multiple holes in the plastic strip attached to the glass cover, and stuffed them with aquarium filter floss to help keep bugs out. (It works marvelously for my isopods, grindal worms, etc.) There are several hundred springtails in the "diplopodarium," and in a day or two I'll put the millipedes in. Looking forward to it.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Thanks again for such great millipedes and a marvelous packing job! I have now finished setting up their 10-gallon tank with 3 inches of coir fiber, a top-dressing of oak/maple leaves, and some rotten maple wood. I drilled multiple holes in the plastic strip attached to the glass cover, and stuffed them with aquarium filter floss to help keep bugs out. (It works marvelously for my isopods, grindal worms, etc.) There are several hundred springtails in the "diplopodarium," and in a day or two I'll put the millipedes in. Looking forward to it.
Sounds like a job well done. Now you will have to wait for the millipedes to become adults. When they do they (at least for me) sit on the surface of the substrate all day long and look very pretty.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like a job well done. Now you will have to wait for the millipedes to become adults. When they do they (at least for me) sit on the surface of the substrate all day long and look very pretty.
I'm glad to learn that the adults are considerably less secretive. : ). Now that a few days have passed, I have noticed a pattern in the millipedes' activity: when I arrive to work in the morning (about 6:55-7 am) and turn on the lights, several of them are milling around. They soon hide, but occasionally when I happen to glance at the enclosure, I see an active one.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Glad you can seem them! No fun having an empty cage to stare, even if you know your pet is somewhere in there.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Glad you can seem them! No fun having an empty cage to stare, even if you know your pet is somewhere in there.
In the past week or two, I have noticed the millipedes are becoming more and more visible...there are two to four of them visible at any given time. :)

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm glad to learn that the adults are considerably less secretive. : ). Now that a few days have passed, I have noticed a pattern in the millipedes' activity: when I arrive to work in the morning (about 6:55-7 am) and turn on the lights, several of them are milling around. They soon hide, but occasionally when I happen to glance at the enclosure, I see an active one.
They're milling around? Pun intended? :biggrin:

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Millipedes ready to breed?

My millipedes have grown a lot over the past 8 or 9 months! They are also much more colorful. Here is a video showing the difference.
I think they must be about ready to breed...I moved the adults to a larger container recently, but kept all of the substrate, besides a handful or two, in the smaller container.

[YOUTUBE]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H2DJGCKVOc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

https://youtu.be/NH2DJGCKVOc

Last edited:

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Must be ready to breed indeed! I just saw two of them in an apparently copulatory embrace.

CrawlinChaos

Arachnosquire
I see mine getting it on all the time. I'm really hoping for some babies this year. *fingers crossed*

SDCPs

Arachnolord
You're a papa already! Congrats! Should be no issues with breeding these.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're a papa already! Congrats! Should be no issues with breeding these.
Glad to hear it! About how long should we expect to wait after seeing the first makings before we hear the pitter patter of myriad tiny feet, so to speak?

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Watch the substrate. When its volume starts shrinking dramatically you'll know.

Come back in 6 months from now and you'll see little millies most likely.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Watch the substrate. When its volume starts shrinking dramatically you'll know.

Come back in 6 months from now and you'll see little millies most likely.
The bottom layer of substrate is almost exclusively coco fiber, with a top layer of oak leaves. Will that be enough, or do I need to enrich the substrate for the pedelings?

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Well, an enriched subtrate would be much better :). Just mix up your substrate carefully then add a new oak layer.