Perfect Pets IMO

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Life's beginning to get busier and it's nice to know that I don't have to worry much about the animals I'm taking care of since they are so low maintenance. As far as care goes for T's and even most arachnids in general all you need is a couple hours free in the week for their husbandry i.e feeding and filling the water-dish if the water level is low. Just finished maintenance for this week and I had time to spare to start this threading (thank you labor day). Now, if they would only give love and affection.

-JohnD.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
haha agreed tho i feel my snakes are just as low maintenance. its kinda like T's once you have the humidity thing down [usually can be just a water bowl and kept on paper towels] its a synch. with the added bonus of not having to remove uneaten pray as you typically know if they dont want to eat within 5 seconds of them seeing the rat/mouse XD fill up water bowl and remove poop as needed, usually at same time [some people wait an entire week but i check on them twice a week usually timing the poo just right as its just fresh in all enclosures [kinda odd that i have my snakes bowl movements programmed in my head lol]

but i think inverts make excelent pets so long as you dont need a cuddly one[pet] XD
none of mine have an attitude which is what addicted me to herps. but i find them a little more interesting due to their webbing and feeding habbits :) oddly i only ever got super excited over herps eating but two maybe 3 times [bunny exploded kinda and a rats head got twisted off.. so sick.. but so frikkin cool in a way] but i cant help but stare at a T eating for at least 5mins XD and i quickly found my favorites to watch as my little nhadu is an oddball. he eats like hes rearing up.. front legs in air roach in fangs and iv watched him with black light so i know its not my presence haha :)

CLICKBANGBANG

Arachnopeon
I'm glad my Ts don't eat as much or need to be brushed like my yellow lab. lol

I see you're up in my neck of the woods JohnD.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Why would you want something like that from an invertebrate? Probably ought to look into getting a cat or dog.
I believe he means he wants an animal with the minimal care of a tarantula with the affection of a mammal.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I believe he means he wants an animal with the minimal care of a tarantula with the affection of a mammal.
I read it as he wrote it: 'Now if they would only give love and affection.' That's not what the animal kingdom is about, it's about survival and is often violent. It's not billions of lonely animals wandering around looking for a hug.

Perocore

Arachnoknight
To be honest I'm glad none of my new world tarantulas are affectionate XD Wouldn't exactly like a Brachypelma trying to snuggle!

But I agree, for someone with a busy schedule they are an excellent pet. Low cost to feed and maintain, and the fact that they don't require time out of the tank or want attention makes it easier to please them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
To be honest I'm glad none of my new world tarantulas are affectionate XD Wouldn't exactly like a Brachypelma trying to snuggle!
Or a Theraphosa with those hairs. You do not want to pet one of those.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Or a Theraphosa with those hairs. You do not want to pet one of those.
Oh, I dunno. It takes all kinds doesn't it? :}

I agree though. When I mention the number of tarantulas I have, people's first reaction is usually disgust. Because when most people either smash or carry the spiders out of their house, I'm carrying spiders into mine. Then they begin talking like 'How do you have time for all of that?'

Because it doesn't take much. They don't want me to grab the leash and take them out for 'walky' or 'ride in the car'.

Personally I love that I can be so fascinated by something that only takes a small amount of time each week.

Besides. You can keep a hundred tarantulas in one room. You try to keep a hundred dogs in one room and suddenly you're a budding serial killer.

---------- Post added 09-02-2014 at 10:51 AM ----------

But I agree, for someone with a busy schedule they are an excellent pet. Low cost to feed and maintain, and the fact that they don't require time out of the tank or want attention makes it easier to please them.
Snuggly NWs? What about Snuggly OWs? Perhaps snuggling with an OBT is more practical. {D

GG80

Arachnoknight
That's what I love about Ts. At first I was stressing about heat, humidity, feeding amongst other things, made a few rookie mistakes. Now after almost a year I've learned quiet a bit about these amazing animals.
I had an incident last week where feeding day was approaching but the store had no supply of crickets and it would take 5-6 days for them to come back in stock. No panic, no worry. Another few days without feeding was no cause for alarm.
So simple if you cover the basics, which are also minimal.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Why would you want something like that from an invertebrate? Probably ought to look into getting a cat or dog.
Honestly, I know you like to start arguments but this is your most rediculous attempt. It seems like you took that sentence too literally.
It's good to know there are people who are able to understand a joke as small as the one mentioned.

-JohnD.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Idk, it'd be pretty fun if Avic wanted to go for rides with me and like we could go to the beach and he'd be a reason to meet chicks.... "c'mon Avic! Go for a walk?"

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I read it as he wrote it: 'Now if they would only give love and affection.' That's not what the animal kingdom is about, it's about survival and is often violent. It's not billions of lonely animals wandering around looking for a hug.
Then you missed the context that came before, which indicated his intent.

---------- Post added 09-02-2014 at 02:33 PM ----------

We're not mind readers. Say what you mean.
If you read the whole thing without focusing on that last sentence, what he meant was clear.

---------- Post added 09-02-2014 at 02:35 PM ----------

It's good to know there are people who are able to understand a joke as small as the one mentioned.

-JohnD.
It was quite obvious what you were going for, as long as one didn't nitpick.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
if you want a tarantula you can cuddle with, there's always this.
bonus: it requires even less maintenance. you can go years without feeding or watering and it will still be there for you.
it's a bit of a pet rock though.

Lucky Luciano

Arachnopeon
I love how [strike]aggressive[/strike] [strike]defensive[/strike] skittish some T enthusiasts can be about what tarantula pets should or shouldn't be.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I love how [strike]aggressive[/strike] [strike]defensive[/strike] skittish some T enthusiasts can be about what tarantula pets should or shouldn't be.
They 'should be' what they naturally are: predators that run primarily on instinct. We shouldn't try to turn them into artificial cuddly things.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I don't think anybody's trying to.... just speculating on what it would be like.

Not trying to fuel any fire here. If tarantulas were still predators that run primarily on instinct, but had the capacity to grow attached to their human keepers in the way some mammals do.... Would they still appeal to you Poec?

Just curious.

Like I said. I'm not trying to start any arguments here. Poec has been a huge source of info for me since coming into the hobby and hitting these boards 3 months ago. But I'm curious, did you never have that wonder to you in having a "pet" tarantula?

I quickly learned within like a couple of weeks that my Ts did NOT want to be handled and were never going to be that kind of pet. I was semi disappointed. Not so much anymore. Especially after taking a hair from my L.P.

Now I'm seeing why OW Ts are so cool.

But there's still part of me that would be totally happy if my predatory Tarantulas would decide to be my friends and chill with me. That wouldn't make them LESS special.

Maybe the OBTs would lose their charm.

Anways just trying to spark discussion. Discussion, not harsh words.

:)

Medusa

Arachnoknight
JohnDapiaoen; said:
Now, if they would only give love and affection.

-JohnD.
Hey, John...that little A. sp. "New River" you sent me is almost there! Neither pet hole or pet rock, she has been bulldozing her substrate like crazy...and always comes out (literally) whenever I look in on her. She's the most interesting and active T I have right now. Thanks!

Lucian

Arachnopeon
Me and my GBB and could watch the T version of food channel, animal planet... Lol

“No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced"