Heating/Lighting/Cycles

BeardedSpiderMan98

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone! BeardedSpiderMan here (seems more fitting considering I have more true spiders than Ts). I was
wondering everyone's opinion on the heat and light source issue. I currently just use the light of the sun, so no
artificial at all, but I do use a small heater to bring summer temps up to 85 degrees F during the day, and down to 70 at night, as I believe this helps to give a good sense of time for my spider friends! What is your opinion on the issue?

BSM

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tarantulas, being unable to generate body heat, are able to happily live in hugely fluctuating temperatures. Most tarantulas do not need any temperature above 80 degrees F, but I do not think 85 F will cause them harm. I'm not educated enough on the issue of circadian rhythm as it pertains to temperature to make a confident answer, but the idea has some merit. I know that tarantulas can naturally estimate yearly cycles based on daylight hours, but they seem to be fairly oblivious to temperatures (besides naturally slowing down), unless they are to the extreme in either direction. However, while they can sense light and may actively avoid it, I don't believe they will react to climate. They are able to sense immediate changes, and will, for example, burrow in order to be cooler, and sometimes have been observed to seek out warmer places in the enclosure (like a heat pad on the side of a tank).

TL,DR:

Sorry I didn't fully answer your question, but T's can certainly recognize heat, and estimate time of year based on light, so it wouldn't be all that far-fetched to say that they also recognize on temperature as part of the cycle.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas, being unable to generate body heat, are able to happily live in hugely fluctuating temperatures. Most tarantulas do not need any temperature above 80 degrees F, but I do not think 85 F will cause them harm.
As a Florida resident, I can assure you that most of the tropics are pretty hot at low elevations, and for a large part of the year. Hotter than 80-85 degrees.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was trying to get across the point that most T's do not require heat above 80 degrees. I agree that 80-85 degrees is not abnormal for many species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The only cycle they follow is from natural sunlight through the window in my case. I keep my Ts at a even 70-75 day as a yearly range, sometimes 80 when it's "hot", and indeed their activity and appetite perks up a bit for some species, mostly my Avics.

I've never used artificial lighting for them.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I find supplemental heat and lighting to be largely unnecessary; Local weather and daylight fluctuations throughout the year do a well enough job for that sort of thing where I live. I suspect it is similar to where you are.
The only time I use heating is to prevent really cold temperatures for prolonged periods (low 60's, I'd say) during winters.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The only cycle they follow is from natural sunlight through the window in my case. I keep my Ts at a even 70-75 day as a yearly range, sometimes 80 when it's "hot", and indeed their activity and appetite perks up a bit for some species, mostly my Avics.
That's an advantage to keeping them warm, at least daytime temps, in that their metabolisms are raised, along with appetites, and growth is at a more normal (faster) rate. While cooler temps are appreciated by higher elevation species, the lower elevation ones adapt by slowing things down to some extent. They're pretty flexible on temps, look at the wide range we hobbyists keep them at. I prefer the faster growth of warm temps, and being in a hot state, that's easily achieved.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

I've never used artificial lighting for them.
I can confirm this. Same for me, during hot summers it gets up to 85F in my bedroom and the Avic get VERY hungry and outright voracious by then :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's an advantage to keeping them warm, at least daytime temps, in that their metabolisms are raised, along with appetites, and growth is at a more normal (faster) rate. While cooler temps are appreciated by higher elevation species, the lower elevation ones adapt by slowing things down to some extent. They're pretty flexible on temps, look at the wide range we hobbyists keep them at. I prefer the faster growth of warm temps, and being in a hot state, that's easily achieved.
Yep same deal w/herps. I just don't want to get in the business of buying bulbs etc to heat them like I used to w/herps where it was absolutely required. They do fine as they are. Regardless of temps I feed them as often as they will eat, esp when young as their job is to grow!

I could always try out undertank heaters, but I'm always cautious about providing extra heat because of my concerns on hydration, particularly when they aren't eating.

---------- Post added 09-05-2014 at 11:27 AM ----------

I can confirm this. Same for me, during hot summers it gets up to 85F in my bedroom and the Avic get VERY hungry and outright voracious by then :D
Same here. Once it's low 80s there's a definite uptick in eating. The only Ts I've noticed where cooler vs warmer temps affects frequency and quantity of eating is my older, NW terrestrial Ts (not including Avic slings).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yep same deal w/herps.
Yes indeed. When I had cobras they used to be wired all summer long. Sometimes when I'd open their cage doors, they'd lunge out at what they hoped was something to eat. Once they got the scent of mice/chicks I had to be very careful. I'm sure spider's metabolisms go into high gear too when daytime temps get in the 80's.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes indeed. When I had cobras they used to be wired all summer long. Sometimes when I'd open their cage doors, they'd lunge out at what they hoped was something to eat. Once they got the scent of mice/chicks I had to be very careful. I'm sure spider's metabolisms go into high gear too when daytime temps get in the 80's.

In the 80s, def. my young Avics get more hungry, but not necessarily more active.