T. gigas Concerns

Medusa

Arachnoknight
At the end of May I purchased a T. gigas, approx. 2" DLS. For several weeks it was active, out and about, and ate well. In July it made a web hideaway and went into, what I assumed, was pre-molt, and I was right. It molted on or around August 1st. It's been over a month and I have yet to see it leave its hideaway, even peeking in after dark. It hasn't eaten, and I've removed uneaten crickets, which it relished prior to molt. Isn't this a bit long? It's in one of my large pasta containers, with plenty of extra ventilation holes and a water dish.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say he/she is perfectly fine. My 6.5 inch amazonica didn't come out or even eat for at least five weeks after she molted. If he/she was hungry it would have eaten.

---------- Post added 09-02-2014 at 10:45 PM ----------

I'm glad you're concerned, but I think "we" overreact and or worry too much and forget how hardy these inverts are.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Mine usually hides for several weeks before and after molting so nothing unusual. Maybe you can grab a flash light to check on it but all you can do is keep on giving it water and offering food.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I had a 1/4" G pulchripes seal itself in it's retreat under the substrate for 2 months the first time it shed for me.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I had a 1/4" G pulchripes seal itself in it's retreat under the substrate for 2 months the first time it shed for me.
My G.pulchripes did this when it was around 1/3-1/2 as well, I didn't see it again until I was almost done with my winter semester of college.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My G.pulchripes did this when it was around 1/3-1/2 as well, I didn't see it again until I was almost done with my winter semester of college.
+1. I think when a spiders seals itself in, you have to trust that they know what they're doing.

awiec

Arachnoprince
+1. I think when a spiders seals itself in, you have to trust that they know what they're doing.
Wasn't that hard, I had a ton of finals and papers to keep me busy, it was a pleasant surprise when I finally noticed it was out.