Laceration on abdomen

shelpen

Arachnosquire
Apparently my G. Rosea has managed to get a tiny laceration on her abdomen (a couple mm right of the heart) while exploring the cork "tube" I've got her about a week ago... I've since smoothed the inside of the "tunnel"... But!

She fell off my hand today -- luckily it was over her enclosure and only 3-4 inches above the substrate. She still re-injured the laceration and some liquid started to ooze from it. I put some corn starch over it and this seemed to do the trick. She seemed a bit wobbly for a moment but looks alright now.

Anything else I can do for her?
Thanks!

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just leave her alone, and maybe get some superglue, that stuff will seal up any small nicks on a T. Oh and make sure she has a full water dish!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You can refrain from handling her or bothering her. Make sure she always has access to water.

shelpen

Arachnosquire
SPIDERBYTE, Hobo -- but of course! The water is always available.

I wonder if it's OK to put a superglue on the "fleshy" parts... To seal the extremities/carapace - yes, but on the abdomen... Superglue seems/smells so toxic... Hmm...

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It comes down to the lesser of two evils, bleeding is definitely bad, the superglue might not sound so healthy, but in an emergency you do what you can with what you've got.
There is another product called liquid bandage, which also works.

shelpen

Arachnosquire
SPIDERBYTE -- you're right!

Liquid Bandage is more... liquid if I remember correctly - will be easier to apply... I shall do that if the crack opens up again. Thanks a lot!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No comment, really... Don't be angry.
Who's angry? Just saying these aren't toys. I think all parties in this equation do best when spiders are treated like the wild animals they are.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Poec is right. You say she "only" fell 3-4 inches, the thing is that's enough to do serious damage even if she weren't already injured. Just one of the many reasons to not handle. I wish her luck in recovering.

shelpen

Arachnosquire
Guys, everybody has a perfect 20/20 hindsight. As minimum the lesson is learned. As maximum from now on I'll handle her in a bit different manner.

Handling your T is a function of choice and knowledge. It's neither smart nor stupid.

And yes, it's rather annoying to get this "helpful" reminder not to handle a spider every (!) time one asks for a particular advice.

*finished venting*

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
On the topic of handling... An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... This saying is old but still hold truth. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it will hold true for eternity.

Tbh, what do you expect the comments to be when you talk about handling your T's in a forum that has a large population of people that, for the most part, think handling Arachnids is stupid...? More for the animals safety then your own by the way. Apparently people need the constant reminders not to handle unless necessary. Evidenced by the fact that your spider has a small laceration on her abdomen after she fell off your hand when you were... What was it? Oh yes, HANDLING her.... Don't get snarky with people who are trying to help you after asking advice when you are the cause for the problem.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Guys, everybody has a perfect 20/20 hindsight. As minimum the lesson is learned. As maximum from now on I'll handle her in a bit different manner.

Handling your T is a function of choice and knowledge. It's neither smart nor stupid.

And yes, it's rather annoying to get this "helpful" reminder not to handle a spider every (!) time one asks for a particular advice.

*finished venting*
I don't recall anyone telling you that you were stupid, or implying that you were by saying handling was stupid. The advice you've gotten in this thread has been civil, so there's not really anything for you to be getting annoyed about. How many times have you had to ask for advice on an issue that is a direct result of you handling a tarantula? In this case, you dropped a spider resulting in what could very well end up being a serious and life-threatening injury. When people with more experience and knowledge than you recommend not handling for this exact reason, your reaction is to get annoyed and give the tired "it's my choice" line. You're right that it's your choice, but if I were to make a life-threatening decision with a child or a dog or something else that was mammalian whose life I was responsible for, I could potentially be prosecuted. Don't get me wrong or anything, I'm definitely not saying you or anyone who handles their tarantulas should be taken to court, I'm just pointing out that the "it's mine" argument is selfish, hollow, and completely disregards the safety and health of your pet.

Furthermore, handling is not a "function of knowledge," because your tarantula(s) is/are unpredictable. You don't perceive the world the same way your tarantula does. Until you're functionally blind, have chemoreceptors in your feet and hands, and are covered in setae attached to nerve endings to sense vibrations you won't. You can't "know" anything from that perspective, so it's entirely possible that you'll do something that results in harm to your pet. Like a three to four inch fall that ends in an abdominal rupture. I just really don't understand why people get so touchy when they ask for advice, then get advice they don't like.