Dubia colony, no lid and scraped sealant?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a ten gallon I want to use for my dubias. I don't have a lid and I plan on scraping the sealant off and blacking out the sides. My concern is the young crawling up the crack even with no sealant. Has anybody kept them like that? Can they climb that?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
biollantefan is right. however be sure you put the tape up good. maybe even a vertical one on edges. my 10g i started with had no sealant thanks to rats and mice. i scrapped the little there was out and still had escapee beatles [glad i started with mealies in this tank not dubias lmao] once i put a strip up against the sealant vertical i stopped having escapes.

but dubias breed fast in my experience youl prob need a 20g tote or breeder soon :p

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Take two rows of clear packaging tape as stated and start from the top down. Take a credit card to smooth it out and make it tight in the corners over the silicone. No need to remove the silicone if you tape over it good.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'll need to grab some tape then. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Temporarily they'll be in this. The corners are so smooth an tight I can't imagine anything climbing out but...

The sealant was old and ready for new so I scraped it, pull the top plastic brace off and painted the sides(I need to get more for the front). I have a piece of glass sitting on the top of one side of the top and a sterlite tub I used for a baby crested gecko(too many ventilation holes to use for roaches). The outcome of this is too cool for roaches and since they apparently breed fast an I'd need something bigger I may just end up using this tank for a p. transvaalicus pair or something worthy.

Currently there is only
6 adult females
2 adult males
14 large
10 small

I'll be getting some more soon to add and get this project moving along faster.