Quick arboreal enclosure question

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
iv planned one like this and my way around it falling was putting a lil hasp like this either in the middle or on the corners [top corners works best on 10g not sure on 5.5] i myself have the hasp with turning ends so it slides over the part youd use to put a lock in. and the locking mechinism also turns [win win XD]

shebeen

Arachnobaron
I make my clips from rings cut from PVC pipe. Dip them in boiling water for 15-20 seconds and they become pliable. Then, shape them as desired with a pair of pliers and let cool. The clips in the photos below are cut from 1/2" diameter pipe. If you need more contours, just use a larger diameter pipe. I use an inexpensive miter box to cut the rings.

Another option are the latches that RobC uses on his enclosures. He describes them in the 2nd half of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNOvNYJ_56c .

What we need for these types of lids is a small inexpensive cam latch. Unfortunately, all the latches I've found on-line are rather expensive. The cheapest option so far is a cam lock used for mail boxes and such. You can get these for $3-$4 on Ebay. The disadvantage (or advantage) is that they're keyed, but you can always leave the key in the lock.

Last edited:

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I make my clips from rings cut from PVC pipe. Dip them in boiling water for 15-20 seconds and they become pliable. Then, shape them as desired with a pair of pliers and let cool. The clips in the photos below are cut from 1/2" diameter pipe. If you need more contours, just use a larger diameter pipe. I use an inexpensive miter box to cut the rings.

Another option are the latches that RobC uses on his enclosures. He describes them in the 2nd half of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNOvNYJ_56c .
I quite like those PVC clips, and I'd like to try them out one day. Thank you for sharing.

What we need for these types of lids is a small inexpensive cam latch. Unfortunately, all the latches I've found on-line are rather expensive. The cheapest option so far is a cam lock used for mail boxes and such. You can get these for $3-$4 on Ebay. The disadvantage (or advantage) is that they're keyed, but you can always leave the key in the lock.
I know the lockless cams you're referring to, but I cannot find them either. Dozens of years ago, in my youth, a friend of mine had a 2gal glass display tank for exotics. It was nearly perfect size for a tarantula. The lid was glass with a small handle and 2 little black plastic "turn locks" for lack of a better term (though "cam latch" is good). With those locks in place, one could lift the whole terrarium by the handle (not that you'd want to, but it was sturdy).

Now that I'm tasked with converting a 5gal into an arboreal, I would love to have those "turn locks" available.

Anyone have a 3D printer and some spare time?? :p

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I did some searching this morning and found this mini cam latch from Zoro.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G0408703/?category=7385

They come in black and chrome and cost $3.26, plus free shipping with orders over $25. The latch also functions as a pull knob/handle so you save a few bucks there as well.
These are almost exactly what I had in mind. Hardware store people think I'm crazy when I start describing these. Since I'm across the border, I only get free shipping if I buy more $1000 CDN from them. :) But I may not mind paying their $30 "Shipping to Those Crazy Canucks" fee for 10-20 of them.

When I ran my own search, I came across near identical ones, but the first ones were $15/unit and the second were $9/unit. Likely same shipping costs too.