Psalmopoeus cambridgei Vs. Psalmopoeus irminia

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that this genus is known for being very secretive and sort of a pet-hole, but of these two, which species would you say is more reclusive? I personally think that irminia hides a lot more. At least, that's what I've seen so far. Thoughts?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
well i think its kind of a toss up. the only cambridgei iv seen is mine. who iv had for over a month now and just now is seemingly visible from afar. a buddy has irminia. and everytime im over there all of his are hidden away. except one who seems to have never got the memo.. she also doesnt know shes arboreal.. she has never climbed the walls, the cork or the plants.. i think shes broken lmao.. but my cambridgei was a small little guy like 1/4 in when i got it. and molted a day later. and hid itself away. i recently moved it to a 32oz [was under the impression this was way to big for small slings] and didnt know it was going to molt. for 2 days it say on a leaf out in the open.. i found it yesterday morning with a new suit on. i checked last night before i left for work and its still on the same leaf. i suppose only time will tell if he webs up a area and call it come. however he seems pretty reclusive before the transfer so id immagine hell throw up some silk and bunker in...

but ime they are the same with the exception of the T who might of fell off the incubator and hit her head ;)

Monkeyock

Arachnopeon
Out of several cambridgei and one irminia that I have, I agree that the cambridgei seem to be "out and about" much more frequently. P. irminia seems to be more nocturnal, at least that is my experience with one individual. They are both sexy though and easily attainable, so I will likely always have at least one of each. I was rehousing some last night...if you like Psalmopoeus, you should look into P. pulcher, the Panama blonde, they are quite striking! They don't get as large as irminia or cambridgei, but they make great complex webs that are not so thick as to prohibit seeing them in most cases. I have 3 sac-mates and (when disturbed for rehousing) I have seen them shrink and hide, I have seen them bolt with astonishing speed, and I have seen them stand and give some incredible threat displays, bouncing up and down and slapping the surroundings with their front legs.

Here is one of my girls:

I love that dark smooth abdomen contrasted with the golden carapace and fluffy legs.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Can't say much on either species yet. I have both, but my cambridgei just hit the 3" mark a couple weeks ago and is now always out and about. My 2 irminia slings are still under an inch and have constructed some nice burrows. Both species have excellent feed responses IME. I am really enjoying this genus so far and can't wait to get a few other members.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My adult/juvenile cambridgei are always out in the open, waiting for prey to walk by. The irminia and pulcher are usually at the mouth of their retreats, also waiting for food.

cold blood

Staff member
My adult/juvenile cambridgei are always out in the open, waiting for prey to walk by. The irminia and pulcher are usually at the mouth of their retreats, also waiting for food.
Exactly what I noticed with mine. One of my P. cam's is ALWAYS out, the other is generally out, but has tendencies to hide for extended peroids of time during the pre molt/molting stages. My irminias, while visible, are rarely out and about, but are almost always at the mouth of the retreats either hidden or with only their "toes" emerging.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My P.cam is more often out than my irminias. Granted, she's even out during the day, whereas my irminias generally never show up during daytime.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I love Psalmos and have a juvie Irminia and a small sling Cambridgei....easily two favorites in my collection. My Irminia has been out quite a bit but has gone through bouts of extreme secrecy....I am trying to prove that cage setup and availability of many hides will result in a spider that will be out more often....newbie naivety.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
My P. cam (adult female) is out most of the time except during pre-molt/molt. She is amazing to watch take down prey. The whole enclosure rocks! My P. irminia is almost always hidden in a silk tube but that one is smaller. My P. pulcher is also a youngster currently living under a piece of bark. I can catch a glimpse with my flashlight after dark just to know it's still alive. They are all good eaters, rarely see any leftover prey the next day.

cold blood

Staff member
I love Psalmos and have a juvie Irminia and a small sling Cambridgei....easily two favorites in my collection. My Irminia has been out quite a bit but has gone through bouts of extreme secrecy....I am trying to prove that cage setup and availability of many hides will result in a spider that will be out more often....newbie naivety.
My irminia has a tunnel system that wraps the bottom of the enclosure, comes up the bark, behind it and over it, with no less than 5 entrance/exits. My p. cams are similarly complex. With all the room in there hides, it seems there's less reason for them to come out. Still the p. cams come out, the irminia almost never do.

I think you are on the right track for sure, because the more complex of a home they can built, it seems the more comfortable they are...seems totally logical and likely applicable for most species.

It is a great genus!

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I agree, my cambridgei are out more often than my irminia. My adult female cambridgei will stand her ground when ever entering her enclosure, where as the rest of my Psalms will run for their hide. My reduncus and pulcher are just as much reclusive as my irminia, but my pulcher webs above the substrate surface making them easier to see.

hmbrower

Arachnosquire
Poec on the dot with my experience. I haven't seen my irminia since I rehoused her after her maturation. My cambridgei is always hungry and is almost never in her burrow.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I really, really like P pulcher. I love my other Psalmos too, but there's something about pulcher that I can't get enough of.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
P. pulcher seemed to me like one of the more mellow Psalmos. My male threw up threatpostures a number of times, but he never even went to slap, rather retreated. Seemed to be more show than anything with him.

Also, P. langenbucheri I'd rate on the same level as P. cambridgei in terms of visibility: Seems that mine is out almost 24/7, despite the fact that he has a corkbark-tube he uses occasionally.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
My irminia has a tunnel system that wraps the bottom of the enclosure, comes up the bark, behind it and over it, with no less than 5 entrance/exits. My p. cams are similarly complex. With all the room in there hides, it seems there's less reason for them to come out. Still the p. cams come out, the irminia almost never do.

I think you are on the right track for sure, because the more complex of a home they can built, it seems the more comfortable they are...seems totally logical and likely applicable for most species.

It is a great genus!
Heck yeah! My Irminia has not gotten quite as complex as yours with webbing but still has a pretty sweet little web tunnel going across the bottom of the enclosure and up a piece of cork bark where the entrance is....post molt she stayed right outside the entrance in plain view and roamed during the nights for about a week until she got her fill of food and then she become a bit more reclusive again. The little Cambridgei is a bold spider and is often in plain view but has began building what looks like it will become a really cool maze of tunnels! Even with the ups and downs regarding visibility, I have to agree...really incredible genus!!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Even with the ups and downs regarding visibility, I have to agree...really incredible genus!!!
...and now you know why this genus stuck with me! Even with how unpredictable they are, they're awesome spiders. Fast, with a temper, but once you get somewhat used to those particular behavioral patterns and apply common sense, it's indeed an awesome genus. Which reminds me that I still need to get the others of genus...grmbl. Or...maybe a 3rd irminia :D

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently acquired a Trinidad Cheveron sling for $20! It's unbelievable how cheap these guys go for, at least when small. I'm loving it already.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I recently acquired a Trinidad Cheveron sling for $20! It's unbelievable how cheap these guys go for, at least when small. I'm loving it already.
5-7 EUR over here, too. They are reportedly easy to breed and double- or even triple clutch on occasion, so there's no shortage of these :)

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got my juvenile female P.irminia for what would be 12 EUR today. I was reluctant to get one, given their temper, but just couldn't resist. Considering that we both survived two moults and one rehousing intact, I'd say I'm not doing that bad. I have to confirm that irminias are generally reclusive and territorial - mine tends to flash-step into her 'lair' and threaten from there. When she's out and about, it's a beautiful sight.