First OWs.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
When did you guys get your first OWs and what species were they? My first OWs were purchased when I was 12 and they were an obt, and a H.lividum.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
technically it was an OBT, but I only had it for a few weeks. I would technically count my C. Marshalli as the first actual long term OW I've had

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Our 1st 2 Ts were both OW. My son got his 10 months ago, a P. vittata, then 6 months ago I bought my 1st T, the dreaded OBT although I never see her and then I got a P. metallica. We have since branched out to a few NW.

justynh

Arachnopeon
Got my first two OW's about a week ago now. They are an OBT and a P. Subfucsa.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i myself have not gotten an old world yet. tho i have worked with them on a few occasions. but iv chose my first old world as M. balfouri XD i refuse to get anything before i get that beauty XD

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have the money, I would recommend both M. balfouri and P. metallica for first Old World's as P.metallica is rather calm compared to most other Pokies and the same goes for M. balfouri when compared to other baboon species.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I got used to working with them with an adult OBT. Now we have another 4" female for a breeding project. I'm in charge of their care and maintenance.

But I've also been caring for an H. Mac sling for a few weeks. And it's been fun. Although it's a pet burrow now. We're getting another H. Mac this week. 2 OBT slings, so I'll see how the slings behave. And last in the order are 2 P. Regalis slings at an inch long. My first experience with a pokie.

So I have the usual start in pokies and baboons because it's the cheap hardy ones. And the H. Macs are just because they were freebies and my friend had experience with them. I thought they were gorgeous and it got me into OW Ts and spurred a 2nd round of T purchasing.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
If you have the money, I would recommend both M. balfouri and P. metallica for first Old World's as P.metallica is rather calm compared to most other Pokies and the same goes for M. balfouri when compared to other baboon species.
I'd agree with you on the P. metallica being relatively calm but so is our P. vittata even at 6.5 inches she rarely reacts when we do any maintenance in her viv. I do watch her very carefully though lol.

Monkeyock

Arachnopeon
My first OW was an L. violaceopes male that matured 3 molts after I got him. He was always extremely shy and never threw threat pose even once. After that we got a mature female P. regalis and she was another story! Threat pose immediately, but only ever slow and deliberate in any movement. As for M. balfouri, I have never ever been as frightened as when I was rehousing our balfouri. He reared, slapped, charged, and ran like lightning all over our bathroom! Based on what I have read about others' experiences ours was the exception in that regard.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The first was an H. villosella female - very easy to deal with. Webbed like a GBB, as a dwarf-baboon wasn't overly interested in threatening, but rather run and hide in its webcastle.
P. subfusca "lowland" was the next, extremely mellow T that turned out male sadly.
C. fimbriatus couple next, still kicking and so far the most defensive I'm owning, but rarely out lately.
1x P. fasciata and 2x P. miranda are still at 2.5" and going well - got those in exchange for the MM subfusca.

Suffice to say your mileage will vary, but I can highly suggest the Heterothele spp. Both villosella and gabonensis are lovely dwarf-baboons with great coloration and good behavior. Plus easy to care for.

purevl

Arachnopeon
I got my first 2 OWs with my very first order of Ts...P. regalis & H. maculata. I've since added a P. metallica.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My first OW was H. lividum about 15 years ago or so. Then it was an H. mac and then an OW hiatus till the pokie sickness set in. Now I just want pokies. OK, maybe a M. balfouri too but I love pokies!

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
My first OW was a P. metallica spiderling that was about 1.5 inches DLS. I believe that was in November. Now she's close to 3 inches and as far as old world T's go, she hasn't been bad. She's one of my favorites.

Akai

Arachnobaron
my first OW was probably an OBT many many years ago. come to think of it, i think it was even a freebie on top of an order too. lol

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First OW was a King Baboon. Funnily enough, it was only my third T. Now I have 6, 4 of which are OW. (C fimbriatus, OBT, KB).

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. regalis was my first OW. I've had her since 2010. She is rather defensive compared to the other two regalis I have, and often does throw up threat poses and slap at the tongs when I'm doing some kind of maintenance work in the enclosure.

Monkeyock

Arachnopeon
my first OW was probably an OBT many many years ago. come to think of it, i think it was even a freebie on top of an order too. lol
I have gotten OBT's as freebies too, what a surprise right?! Now I have two OBT females that I might not have ever chosen to purchase in the first place :-/ They are beautiful though (when I catch a glimpse). I guess an OBT is a fixture in most advanced keepers' collections. I just shudder to think what could happen if an OBT ended up in inexperienced hands as a freebie... I think I got lucky with mine, I hadn't had a ton of experience with OW yet when I got those freebies.