Well, apparently I like to jump in with both feet!

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
ok so some of you may remember when I discovered that my newly purchased G. rosea was finally identified, by me, via research and reading etc, as a MM. He has an impressive set of hooks tbh, he's a champ, I know these things about my little man.. ;)

on to the news;
I have been approached by a local lady that is willing to sell me her MF rosea and so I will be doing so this weekend I am SO SO excited. This of course, means that I will be attempting to breed a G. rosea sac. I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it for the experience lol. I'm excited, and somewhat trepidatious and thankful in advance for all the nooblet questions I will most likely be peppering you all with LOL.

Wish me luck!! If I'm successful with my rosies, I'll definitely be moving on to more species. I'd like to eventually do a few Avic species, M. balfouri, and eventually some more rare and hard to find species although all of those are in the future. Probably way in the future lol.

okok, I'm gushing, I'm sorry LOL I just really don't have very many people around me that understand my enthusiasm for these beasts LOL most of my friends and acquaintances think I'm completely nuts.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
good luck rattie *brux brux*

i myself will be having a go at it befor too long with G. rosea [rcf] 0.2 and a pen male. both fem in premold males in intermolt XD hopefully your females fresh and doesnt molt out... they are said to gestate for a super long time iv heard of 10-12 months =\ plus the fear of eating the sack =\ i myself have an idea where some or most of mine will go if successfull. i hope you do too if it works :D

ps all people will think your nuts that dont keep them. even a keeper i know of both herps and T;s think im crazy for breeding my roseas lmao

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
well, her current owner bought her at petco and had produced an egg sack there. (the assistant manager at my petco is AMAZING with animals especially exotics and has a pretty large herp collection of his own so I know she was well cared for before the lady selling her to me bought her.) That was in May. I'm hoping going to pair them and hope for the best, if she does molt out that's fine. I'm really just looking for experience. If she molts out, and my guy is still kicking, I'll pair them again a couple of months later.

as far as what I'll do with the slings if I'm able to produce a sack, hatch them out, and successfully raise them until 2nd instar, I'm not really sure. I know the lady selling me the female said she wants 2 of them; I'll probably give her 4 if she wants them. Then I'm thinking about trying to trade all of them for a juvie or two of a different species. IDK, we'll see. :) no point in counting s'lings before they're hatched.. ;)

After all, a LOT of things have to happen before I need to start worrying about that!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
well, her current owner bought her at petco and had produced an egg sack there. (the assistant manager at my petco is AMAZING with animals especially exotics and has a pretty large herp collection of his own so I know she was well cared for before the lady selling her to me bought her.) That was in May. I'm hoping going to pair them and hope for the best, if she does molt out that's fine. I'm really just looking for experience. If she molts out, and my guy is still kicking, I'll pair them again a couple of months later.

as far as what I'll do with the slings if I'm able to produce a sack, hatch them out, and successfully raise them until 2nd instar, I'm not really sure. I know the lady selling me the female said she wants 2 of them; I'll probably give her 4 if she wants them. Then I'm thinking about trying to trade all of them for a juvie or two of a different species. IDK, we'll see. :) no point in counting s'lings before they're hatched.. ;)

After all, a LOT of things have to happen before I need to start worrying about that!
sounds a bit soon for a sack to me but im no pro ofcourse lmao, im just an Arachnoknight ;D but ofc never count your slings befor they hatch but having a game plan is always a good idea lmao :p

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
game plan = good idea.. true that! how long should I wait to try with her then? I'm completely new to all of this. I've been reading and reading and reading.. lol Can't read it all though.. ;)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
game plan = good idea.. true that! how long should I wait to try with her then? I'm completely new to all of this. I've been reading and reading and reading.. lol Can't read it all though.. ;)
im not sure how long this will be my first breeding as well XD with a slow growing sp. like this my guess would be way too long =\ as shed need time to pack back on some poundage, or well erm.. gram-age... maybe someone elese will ring in XD im about in a similar boat. reading alot still. read tkg yet? im just skipped over breeding part last time but i need to read it now lmao. with my female so close to molt i got a pen male, and he came with a mf who is now obviously in premolt 2 for one! [love my first girl havnt messed with other 2 they are in quarantine,which is standard procedure here, so was a win win]

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I've seen her pictures, she's pretty plump, a good amount of junk in her trunk so to speak and no sign of pre-molt darkening. current owner says she eats like a CHAMP and kind of aggressive. (odd for a rosie but meh.. we all have bad days lol)

---------- Post added 09-09-2014 at 05:09 AM ----------

I will post pictures of the both of them to this thread when I get her. ;)

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Well here's my boy, I'll post a picture of her in a minute, previous owner sent me a picture earlier... I'll add that in a minute....

Here's fang, (named by my husband), and his enclosure. Note the absence of a water dish, I removed it for the pic.
MM G. rosea
image.jpg

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
let the feedings begin!

UPDATE: lol

Well our girl came home yesterday afternoon. I got her from someone I met on facebook that's local and I was able to pick her up. She doesn't disappoint, she's so beautiful, and sweet. I will be feeding her a dubia every three days for the next 2 weeks and then, assuming Clyde has built his sperm web, we will be introducing him to her for their date shortly after that. This is very very exciting. Is 2 weeks long enough for feeding her this way? Is every 3 days too much?

should I wait a week to let her settle in before I start feeding her?

man she's so pretty. :) love them both bunches.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
well again no pro. i personally was disappointed at the size of my first girl when i first got her she wasnt as fat as id of liked so i fed her every 3 days. if your planning on breeding her that soon. it may work. im no pro ofc. i know mine got the plumpness i desired in about 2-3 weeks. but not obese but my girl was probably a bit thinner then the one you picked up [but probably bigger too hard telling]

Zigana

Arachnosquire
Best wishes with the pairing and keep us updated on how things go. I'm wanting to pair my MF G. porteri if I can find a MM.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Your tarantulas are G porteri, not G rosea.

If your female dropped a sac, she needs to molt before pairing again or chances of success are slim to none. I doubt that your mature male will be around that long :(

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Your tarantulas are G porteri, not G rosea.

If your female dropped a sac, she needs to molt before pairing again or chances of success are slim to none. I doubt that your mature male will be around that long :(
:( this is kind of what I figured. Would it be a BAD idea to try anyway? bla... LOL

skippydude

Arachnobaron
:( this is kind of what I figured. Would it be a BAD idea to try anyway? bla... LOL
It would actually be a good idea because breeding her again will speed up the molting process. If you can trick her into molting earlier, this male may just have a chance at being a daddy after all. Just don't expect a sack from this breeding, it could happen, but is not likely.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
very cool. I kind of wasn't expecting a sac really or at least not a viable one on my first ever breeding attempt. It's interesting to know that it might actually stimulate her to a molt! good info to know for sure! Should I feed her a little more even after pairing her up too?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It would actually be a good idea because breeding her again will speed up the molting process. If you can trick her into molting earlier, this male may just have a chance at being a daddy after all. Just don't expect a sack from this breeding, it could happen, but is not likely.
Sound advice, as always skip!

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Thank you both for the advice.. :)

I've officially set the date for the pairing. I'll be doing it in two weeks on the friday. I'm going to feed her a dubia nymph every 2-3 days as long as she'll take them. I fed them both 2 crickets tonight. I'll be feeding him a little bit heavier then normal too. I'm assuming he needs the extra calories for sperm production.

This is so so super exciting. My room, in which they live, is a little on the cool side. between 70 - 72 dropping into the hight 60's at night and I've recently learned that some breeders have had better success breeding them after a cooling down period at about those temps so, yayy.. :)