Avic. avic strange behavior

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all,
Normally I wouldn't ask this question and just use the search function, but there are a few confounding variables here that I feel would compromise anything I might learn from previous posts.

I acquired an Avicularia avicularia about a month ago. It was (and is) a 3" specimen, gender unknown, as it hasn't molted with me. Previously, it seemed quite happy in the setup I gave it, and ate several times (superworms/mealworms). However, it has now gone about 20 days without eating. I know this sounds like a basic newbie question that can be answered with PREMOLT YA DINGUS, but he/she seems to get into position to bite the superworm, then just stops and moves away.

I think it's early stages of premolt given that he/she just slowly moves away from the thrashing worm, yet still sort-of goes for it, although this could be Avic avic docile-ness at work.

The counfounding variable is that this is a Petsmart T, and as you all know, their care is very sub-par. On two of the legs near the tip, there appears to be minor injuries, but the tarsae are still intact (looks like super tight white bandage around very last joint on leg). I would normally consider this behavior to be attributed to the fact that Ts are just weird sometimes, but I'm worried for my little pal's health considering previous arrangements.

The game plan for now is just to wait it out, as his/her abdomen is a healthy size, and he/she is active at night. This is less of me asking specifically for what to do, and me being curious what you guys think about the "going for it, then stopping at the last second" feeding response.

IMG_0572.jpg

Last edited:

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Wow ive never seen this! Do you think that his behaviour is related with the injuries? Are the injuries looking dry or wet? Because as far as i can see its like the white part is dry? Like dead skin.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Any chance we can see a pic of the Ts underside? It's probably just premolt but it can't hurt to see that mouth just in case.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If she/he is fat they won't continue to eat, especially if the specimen is wc. Since food isn't as readily available like in captivity, so it's not use to being as fat as captive bred tarantulas. Lastly don't forget adults don't need to eat as often as slings do. I bet nothing is wrong with your avicularia avicularia.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I won't be able to get a pic up right now, but I'd say the abdomen is just barely larger than the carapace. The injuries are both totally dry, and the limbs have full use. I wasn't really "looking" but nothing about the mouth stood out when I was getting him/get into position for pics. I will put up a pic when I can. Another thing to note May be the fact that this T has made basically zero webs. There have been some bits in the inside of the cork bark arch, but nothing visible without angled lighting.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I figured. Always see people talking about versicolor webs, but never Avic avic webs.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It all depends on the avicularia species. From my experiences when a tarantula is injured they will power feed, so they can repair themselves sooner rather than later. It's survival of the fittest at it's best!

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In regards to webbing: My adult A. avicularia female only webs when she's in premolt. Then she molts in her webbing and afterwards she tears it apart nearly completely, leaving only a hammock if at all. Hope all goes well with yours, nothing else to do but provide her with what she needs and wait for a molt.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Avicularia avicularia don't web up often.
Not 100% true. Many WC Avicularia don't web right away but the majority will settle in after a few months. The owner should leave spider alone, it has endured a lot of unfamiliar stimuli since it was robbed from it's tube web in the wild. Another reason to buy CB?

It all depends on the avicularia species. From my experiences when a tarantula is injured they will power feed, so they can repair themselves sooner rather than later. It's survival of the fittest at it's best!
Most spiders will "powerfeed" themselves when given the opportunity, injured or not. It is also better to not overfeed injured spiders to have them molt quicker. Longer the molt cycle = longer time it has to correct/repair itself before the molt.

cold blood

Staff member
While I don't have avic avic, I do have a pair of versi slings. When pre-molt both exhibit similar behavior. One will still sit with its legs out like it wants to feed. When prey comes by it seems interested and excited, but never pounces. The second, when its pre-molt, will still chase prey all over the enclosure rather aggressively, and sometimes even pounces, but won't finish the job, not even injuring the prey. When they aren't pre-molt they are both very aggressive eaters and its usually over very quickly, even if they miss the first time.

With the injury, it looks odd, and I really wonder how this occurred. But as long as the t is operating fine, it must not be as bad as it appears and will almost certainly be repaired with the next molt...but you know that.;)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
But as long as the t is operating fine, it must not be as bad as it appears and will almost certainly be repaired with the next molt...but you know that.;)
Else...exchange the circuit! Sorry, "operating fine" just cracked me up, mate :)

Lucy Lambaste

Arachnopeon
Those injuries look strange! I wonder if the poor T had it's legs pinched with a lid or something along the way.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just an update, he/she finally ate! It took a bit of persuading, and the worm wasn't thrashing very much, but it finally got eaten.