Happiness is...

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
yeah. iIve been hanging out here for ten years now. The entire time having one (1) Tarantula. (I've owned others, but ony singles that always moulted male.) "Well," you might say, "that must be one special spider. A spider amongst spiders, one that eliminates the need for any other species!"

It's a G rosea.

Now you are asking "Why, why would you stick with such a standard. Rosies are nice, but as exciting specimens they fall somewhere between a mushroom and a rock."

Why, I'll tell you why! It is because I have willpower. I have common sense. I don't have the egotistical need to brag about having several spiders at once And as of today,

I have 7.

But they were a gift! My resolve did not crumble! :D

Attachments

gobey

Arachnoknight
Well what are they??? :)

And I wish I did that man. I bought my Rose hair. My "one tarantula" 3 months later I have 16 I'm involved with between buying doubles of each species, slings, and freebie B. Albopilosums. Luckily I have a place other than my house for the rest.

But no. It should have just been "my tarantula". My one tarantula. Like "what's that?" "Oh that? That's the tarantula."

That escalated quickly

cold blood

Staff member
I had only my rosehair for 12 years before finally branching out, I can relate.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had my rosehair for maybe a year (maybe) before I got others. I now have 15 tarantulas. I also have a plethora of other invertebrates though.

gobey

Arachnoknight
The responsible guys are pretty chill lol.

Tarantulas are why I don't play Xbox anymore. All my free time is tarantulas now. Oy. I think I was either going to keep having none, or do this though. But I'm full. There's only 1 more tarantula I even want And I'd only take it if I could trade it for like 7 of mine now.....and go back to 10 tarantulas. For an adult B. Emilia. That's the only way I'd get another though, downsizing trading.

Anyways though OP!

What new Ts!!!?!?!?

awiec

Arachnoprince
The responsible guys are pretty chill lol.

Tarantulas are why I don't play Xbox anymore. All my free time is tarantulas now. Oy. I think I was either going to keep having none, or do this though. But I'm full. There's only 1 more tarantula I even want And I'd only take it if I could trade it for like 7 of mine now.....and go back to 10 tarantulas. For an adult B. Emilia. That's the only way I'd get another though, downsizing trading.

Anyways though OP!

What new Ts!!!?!?!?
I just thought it was 7 rose hairs. In 10 years he'll be able to tell us their size and personality differences.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I just thought it was 7 rose hairs. In 10 years he'll be able to tell us their size and personality differences.
If it's 7 rose hairs.. and this was my end of the conversation versus theirs.... then THAT'S funny,

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Oh yeah, the list. I sorta reserved it for later as I had some other things to do. Nothing too exotic, but some popular species, nonetheless. i was tempted to respond that I got 6 more G. rosea...:D

A. geniculata.
B. smithi
G. pulchripes
E. campestratus
L. pyrahybana
Hapolopus sp. Pummpkin patch

I had never even hear of the last one before. But it is a beauty. Speedy little critter, though.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Oh yeah, the list. I sorta reserved it for later as I had some other things to do. Nothing too exotic, but some popular species, nonetheless. i was tempted to respond that I got 6 more G. rosea...:D

A. geniculata.
B. smithi
G. pulchripes
E. campestratus
L. pyrahybana
Hapolopus sp. Pummpkin patch

I had never even hear of the last one before. But it is a beauty. Speedy little critter, though.
It's a dwarf from Columbia and they love to bolt. Very easy to keep though, just keep on your toes and keep feeding them. Mine turns a brownish color when it's ready to molt and seems to molt pretty regularly.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Heh! I found that out upon rehousing! It was one of the latter ones I transferred, and while most of the previous ones seemed reluctant to leave their paper-towel packing, this one seemed reluctant to remain in my zip-code area!

They also appear to be something of webbers. I was going to carefully try to remove the lid for a photo op and was aghast to discover i was destroying a new web. Of course it'll have to happen tomorrow for its first feeding, but I still felt rather bad. Gonna keep an eye on this one during routine maintenance! But not for the same reason I'll keep an eye on the L. Parahybana and the geniculata...

awiec

Arachnoprince
Heh! I found that out upon rehousing! It was one of the latter ones I transferred, and while most of the previous ones seemed reluctant to leave their paper-towel packing, this one seemed reluctant to remain in my zip-code area!

They also appear to be something of webbers. I was going to carefully try to remove the lid for a photo op and was aghast to discover i was destroying a new web. Of course it'll have to happen tomorrow for its first feeding, but I still felt rather bad. Gonna keep an eye on this one during routine maintenance! But not for the same reason I'll keep an eye on the L. Parahybana and the geniculata...
Mine has never dug, it prefers to web a lot and sit on it's silk or on top of the bark I provided it; it will figure out not to web in certain spots. Mine is the only one that has gotten away from me, I did catch it a few seconds later but they love to display their speed. There is also a "large" and "small" variety, large is the the common and cheaper one, but you can look at their bellies to confirm which one you have, there are pictures on the forum somewhere.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
After receiving it, I checked Swift's Invertebrates (That's where my T's came from) and he describes what he sells as reaching 4 inches. So I'm sort of presuming that he stocks the large ones. But I'll try to track down the photos.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Yep, Hapalopus sp. "Colombia Large"(Gross).

You aren't a kidd'n, they are quick little guys, I just got finished rehousing three of them. My Holothele incei was just as quick.

^ See how I bragged there. ;)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
(Post pointless, hence edited out due to misunderstanding)

Last edited:

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That part, unless being meant in a sarcastic, or ironic way, kind of insults a good bunch of AB users. People like myself are not "egotistical" and don't "feel like having to brag" about our collections. We keep what we keep because we love these animals, certain genera or species. That, and only that, is the reason some of us have that many. Not to mention that there are also the breeders selling the offspring...
I think you're taking that line a bit too seriously...

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Could be, hence why I stated the "unless".
Use the advanced search function. Search his username and narrow it down to filter out everything but The Watering Hole. You took him way too seriously.

Congrats on the new spiders Tim!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Ha! But it was quoted so I saw it anyway!

Also, my signature should provide a clue as to how seriously my posts should be taken. I was after all dubbed "Chief nonsense Monger of the Watering Hole!

Hey..wait a minute! I'm thinking now that may have not been a compliment! Nah, it totally was.

Thanks for the congrats, Advan! All the new guys accepted food. the G pulchripes and the e. campestratus were cowed by feist pinheads, though. i don't think it was so much their size, but the way those things spring around. one of the spiders got bounced into and was like "Check please!" The pulchrides retreated to it's burrow and the campestratus climbed to the top of the deli cup. i decided to remove the pinheads and go with pre-killed adult halves. They ate those.

The others devoured whatever I offered them. Strange that an A. geniculata would do that, isn't it? They are such fussy eaters.

See? THAT'S sarcasm! :D

I have one problem. I had deli cups for the smaller specimens, enclosed by Swifty, but the two larger ones, the genic and the Hapolopos pumpkin patch, I had to provide myself. That was no problem, i had those deli type containers, the clear kind you'd buy a pound of potato salad in at he deli. Or chicken salad or maybe some of that tasty...eh, you get the idea. What I did not realize is that the lids for those really fit tight. So, there is some risk of spilling or dropping them or even sending them flying across the room as I try to force the lid off the container. This kind of shakes things up a bit too and worst of all, that pumpkin patch is just waiting for the chance to dash anyway. I really like that spider, I'd hate to lose it because of a lid malfunction. It's tricky with the genic too, but it doesn't zoom up the side like the pumpkin patch can. or it han't yet, i should say. I see another rehousing in the future for those two. I hate to disturb them again, but better that than the potential disaster that could await via a fumble.
:eek:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on your new babies!
With repeated opening and closing, those lids get a little easier. Just have to learn to eeeease them off. About the time they're easy to remove, time to rehouse. :)