I'm back with new T's!

husoldire

Arachnopeon
So I haven't posted anything for a good year or so and I kinda just wanted to tell you guys about my new T's and kinda introduce myself since I am really getting active again in the hobby.

I got my first T when I was 13 and it of course was a G. Rosea.
I am now 15 with 4 more T's which are:
1. Brachypelma Boehemi
2. Poecilotheria Regalis
3. Poecilotheria Pederseni (Vittata)

And my 5th T I recently picked up at my local pet store for $40 and it is a beautiful Ephebopus Murinus and this little guy sparked my addiction again and I couldn't be happier! I now want about 10 more T's lol And I am just really greatful that my mother supports my addiction even though she is terrified of spiders! Sadly my friends think it's weird that I like spiders so they like to crack jokes about me and stuff but spiders are awesome and make me happy so I don't let it get to me.

I also have a few questions and I would be really happy if you guys could try your best to answer them!

1. Should I spray my pokies enclosure with water every other day or once a week when I feed them?
2. I want to get an indoor heater for my room but my mom thinks that it will catch fire it is usually 75 degrees in my house but I don't think it feels like it should I try to convince her to get me one?
3. My pokies are really fat lol they are still small but there abdomens are huge! I feed them once a week is it okay if they are really plump?
4. I want to get an OBT but people say that begginers shouldn't get them is 3 years enough experience?

Here are some pics of my T's!

G. Rosea
2014-09-10 14.37.59.jpg

Brachypelma Boehemi ( I think he may be in pre molt could someone confirm?)
2014-09-10 14.39.59.jpg

Poecilotheria Regalia (Loves to burrow so probs hard to see)
2014-09-10 14.42.07.jpg

Poecilotheria Vittata ( Couldnt find but I see a leg from a molt maybe? She ate just a couple days ago so Idk whY she would have molted but she recently got rehoused Idk maybe she molted without me knowing? Lol)
2014-09-10 14.46.58.jpg

Ephebopus Murinus
2014-09-10 14.49.43.jpg

Those are my T's so far I am looking to get many more!

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Welcome back :D That is a nice collection you have started.

Your boehmei is definitely in pre-molt

awiec

Arachnoprince
1. Should I spray my pokies enclosure with water every other day or once a week when I feed them?
I don't spray mine, I just give them a water bowl and moisten their sub when it gets dry. Most T's don't appreciate misting, the only one I do mist is my avic but that is just for it to drink, it still has a water bowl for humidity.

2. I want to get an indoor heater for my room but my mom thinks that it will catch fire it is usually 75 degrees in my house but I don't think it feels like it should I try to convince her to get me one?
That temp is perfectly fine for Ts, I keep mine on a 74/68 day/night schedule and they are just fine. The only reason for high temps is to stimulate season change for breeding or making slings grow faster.

3. My pokies are really fat lol they are still small but there abdomens are huge! I feed them once a week is it okay if they are really plump?
Personally if I see they are very fat, I just skip a meal or give them something smaller; most T's will stop eating when they are full. I'm just lazy and don't like chasing crickets out of cages so I am more sparse on rations.

4. I want to get an OBT but people say that begginers shouldn't get them is 3 years enough experience?
Everyone is different. How long have you raised your pokies? If you've raised them to a good size and are comfortable re-housing and doing maintenance then an OBT might be fine to get. There are some people on these boards who have more experience than you but still don't feel they are ready. On the flip side I got OW very early but I'm used to caring for much faster and meaner wild spiders so I felt comfortable getting some pokies.

Also E.murinus are great, mine is still a sling but it has a 5 inch deep tunnel and is always a good eater.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I also have a few questions and I would be really happy if you guys could try your best to answer them!

A few things from my end:

Brachypelma boehmei <- species is not capitalized and it's "boehmei" not "bohemi" - it's not the Queen song :D
Poecilotheria regalis <- not "regalia" - please see you use the correct descriptions, look them up if necessary, it could cause confusion later else for someone less informed buying off you for example

Don't take offense at the above, please. As for your questions:

1. Provide appropriately size waterdish and if necessary put a few droplets into their webbing if you feel the need for that. Otherwise the waterdish will raise ambient humidity as well as provide a source to drink from for the T.

2. Unless you're freezing in your app, no need for that. My bedroom is 22°C to 35°C throughout the year peaking in summer. My T's seem to agree to those conditions, otherwise I don't think I would have had already 3 or 4 of my girls dropping me dud sacs feeling all comfy.

3. As a general rule of thumb I use "abdomen no more than 1.5x carapace of spider" - the bigger and fatter they get, the higher the risk for an injury so I usually pull back on feeding them at that point. Exception: Slings that are still hungry get fed every 2 weeks with 1-3 prey items depending if they want to eat that much.

4. Generally I'd say "If you have to ask if you are ready, you probably aren't", but seing that you keep Poecies it's a matter of how much experience you gathered keeping them (raised them to adults, or we talking slings?). If you've kept them to adulthood and have no problems in rehousing, doing maintenance and day-to-day dealings then you're probably gonna be fine with an OBT. If your Poecies are still growing, you may want to take it slow and take your time. No need to rush.

All the best and enjoy!

husoldire

Arachnopeon
A few things from my end:

Brachypelma boehmei <- species is not capitalized and it's "boehmei" not "bohemi" - it's not the Queen song :D
Poecilotheria regalis <- not "regalia" - please see you use the correct descriptions, look them up if necessary, it could cause confusion later else for someone less informed buying off you for example

Don't take offense at the above, please. As for your questions:

1. Provide appropriately size waterdish and if necessary put a few droplets into their webbing if you feel the need for that. Otherwise the waterdish will raise ambient humidity as well as provide a source to drink from for the T.

2. Unless you're freezing in your app, no need for that. My bedroom is 22°C to 35°C throughout the year peaking in summer. My T's seem to agree to those conditions, otherwise I don't think I would have had already 3 or 4 of my girls dropping me dud sacs feeling all comfy.

3. As a general rule of thumb I use "abdomen no more than 1.5x carapace of spider" - the bigger and fatter they get, the higher the risk for an injury so I usually pull back on feeding them at that point. Exception: Slings that are still hungry get fed every 2 weeks with 1-3 prey items depending if they want to eat that much.

4. Generally I'd say "If you have to ask if you are ready, you probably aren't", but seing that you keep Poecies it's a matter of how much experience you gathered keeping them (raised them to adults, or we talking slings?). If you've kept them to adulthood and have no problems in rehousing, doing maintenance and day-to-day dealings then you're probably gonna be fine with an OBT. If your Poecies are still growing, you may want to take it slow and take your time. No need to rush.

All the best and enjoy!
Lol every time I type Regalis on my phone it auto corrects to Regalia and with the Boehmei that's just me being an idiot and not knowing how to spell lol thanks for the answers though!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think I got my rose hair when I was 13, I am now 15 as well! I have 15 tarantulas though but no pokies. Your a lot braver than me haha. Good luck on the pokies!

awiec

Arachnoprince
I think I got my rose hair when I was 13, I am now 15 as well! I have 15 tarantulas though but no pokies. Your a lot braver than me haha. Good luck on the pokies!
When treated with respect they are not very confrontational, but everyone is different so it's always good to wait until you're well prepared. Plus at both your guys' age I don't think your family members would appreciate a potent 8 legged Bengal tiger running loose.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My parents wouldn't really care, if I think I could handle it then they would trust me to. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a Pokie though. The closest to a Pokie I have is a Psalmopoeus and I feel pretty comfy with that T lol.

awiec

Arachnoprince
My parents wouldn't really care, if I think I could handle it then they would trust me to. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a Pokie though. The closest to a Pokie I have is a Psalmopoeus and I feel pretty comfy with that T lol.
Those are basically Pokie Jr. hence why they are good training wheels. I jumped into the fire and started off with pokies as my first OW but my T.gigas trained me well so I was ready for them.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, that's partly why I got it. I truthfully don't know if I will ever own a Pokie though.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah, that's partly why I got it. I truthfully don't know if I will ever own a Pokie though.
Well no worries pslamos have all the temper of a pokie but without the venom and are pretty in their own right.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What? Why wouldn't you want pokies? Just look at p rufilata, they're so stunning and massive. I don't understand the fear of pokies???? I would say baboons and p irimina are way more defensive. All I'm saying is that your totally missing out on some amazing tarantulas!!

awiec

Arachnoprince
What? Why wouldn't you want pokies? Just look at p rufilata, they're so stunning and massive. I don't understand the fear of pokies???? I would say baboons and p irimina are way more defensive. All I'm saying is that your totally missing out on some amazing tarantulas!!
Eh some people are just not interested. I really don't want any brachys and I don't seem to fawn over them like everyone else does, they are just not my cup of tea; I do like klaasi though, it's rather classy.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Eh some people are just not interested. I really don't want any brachys and I don't seem to fawn over them like everyone else does, they are just not my cup of tea; I do like klaasi though, it's rather classy.
One day that may change. I originally thought upon witnessing my friends OBT that I'd never want to own one. Or ANY OW species. And then I saw his H. Mac and said "oooooohhhhh" and was offered one as a freebie and went for it. And upon working with his OBT for 2 months I fell in love with him and have a new fascination with OW species. They now make up just about 1/2 my collection. I have 2 P. Regalis on the way. I'll see how well they do and maybe next year I'll trade for some P. Metallica if I like them.

I didn't want to shell out a lot of money at first and I'm kind of just stuck with what I have now. Lots of slings, lots of doubles, triples, and even 5 of one species. I thought the Regalis looked too similar to the H. Mac. Kind of ghostly. But the yellow bands make up for it, and the price couldn't be beat from my favorite T vendor either. So I figured let's start here. I'm learning that there is indeed always somebody looking to trade for these animals and that they don't take up much time and space if I decide I want different ones next year. Because as much as I'd love to downsize my collection next time I acquire new Ts, I'm sure it'll just be buying 2 more.... :/

ANYWAYS

You could probably handle (manage, not like physically touch) a pokie, from all I researched.

Baboons from what I've read and from what I've experienced are the feisty ones. I've however only worked with one adult male OBT. Now I'm working with a young female at 4" who's very calm. But it's been only a couple of days. We'll see how the pokies are. They'll only be an inch.

awiec

Arachnoprince
One day that may change. I originally thought upon witnessing my friends OBT that I'd never want to own one. Or ANY OW species. And then I saw his H. Mac and said "oooooohhhhh" and was offered one as a freebie and went for it. And upon working with his OBT for 2 months I fell in love with him and have a new fascination with OW species. They now make up just about 1/2 my collection. I have 2 P. Regalis on the way. I'll see how well they do and maybe next year I'll trade for some P. Metallica if I like them.

I didn't want to shell out a lot of money at first and I'm kind of just stuck with what I have now. Lots of slings, lots of doubles, triples, and even 5 of one species. I thought the Regalis looked too similar to the H. Mac. Kind of ghostly. But the yellow bands make up for it, and the price couldn't be beat from my favorite T vendor either. So I figured let's start here. I'm learning that there is indeed always somebody looking to trade for these animals and that they don't take up much time and space if I decide I want different ones next year. Because as much as I'd love to downsize my collection next time I acquire new Ts, I'm sure it'll just be buying 2 more.... :/

ANYWAYS

You could probably handle (manage, not like physically touch) a pokie, from all I researched.

Baboons from what I've read and from what I've experienced are the feisty ones. I've however only worked with one adult male OBT. Now I'm working with a young female at 4" who's very calm. But it's been only a couple of days. We'll see how the pokies are. They'll only be an inch.
I remember I told myself no baboons when I got into the hobby...I have three, planning on getting some more and breeding some next year. Maybe brachys will grow on me but atm there is maybe 1 or 2 of that genus that I would even consider getting.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I remember I told myself no baboons when I got into the hobby...I have three, planning on getting some more and breeding some next year. Maybe brachys will grow on me but atm there is maybe 1 or 2 of that genus that I would even consider getting.
I want a B. emilia so bad. But I have too many baboons lol. Actually I've accumulated 5 B. albopilosums through freebies. I started out really wanting just that one because even though it's a rather ugly T, it's supposedly the best "pet" tarantula. And a little bit of me I guess still wants that one tarantula that was supposed to be closer to what my G. rosea was advertised to me as. Even though my take on tarantulas has taken more towards a pretty baboon and pokie phase. But it got me to take the plunge into buying slings. Which was both a good and bad thing lol.

I'm feeling pretty content honestly. There's not much else I want. A couple species have my interest, but really I have too many now of each. I have at least 2 of everything. 3 of 1, and 5 of another. Except my Avic and Rose hair. They're my only solo Ts. So I'll trade and downsize next. I can only think of 2 I really want. And a couple that I would like to own but could really care less if I don't. I'm feeling.... Fulfilled lol. Just B. emilia. And one day when I sell off 3 f these curly hairs I'll get a P. metallica.

Then maybe a M. balfiori (sp?) Because that one just caught my eye too... But a P. metallica would satiate that urge.

But I will now have 5 baboons personally to look after, I think I have enough. So maybe when some molt out male and die I'll look into new species. Or trade and sell.

Until then I'm happy with my collection and glad I have my baboons and glad I took a shot at some pokies. My collection has lots of multiples, but is varied enough to keep me happy too. I have lots of good staple species. None too expensive or complicated to keep and a few are quite beautiful to look at. And they should all be interesting personality wise. Perhaps a few of the OW being shy or pet burrows. We'll see.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I want a B. emilia so bad. But I have too many baboons lol. Actually I've accumulated 5 B. albopilosums through freebies. I started out really wanting just that one because even though it's a rather ugly T, it's supposedly the best "pet" tarantula. And a little bit of me I guess still wants that one tarantula that was supposed to be closer to what my G. rosea was advertised to me as. Even though my take on tarantulas has taken more towards a pretty baboon and pokie phase. But it got me to take the plunge into buying slings. Which was both a good and bad thing lol.

I'm feeling pretty content honestly. There's not much else I want. A couple species have my interest, but really I have too many now of each. I have at least 2 of everything. 3 of 1, and 5 of another. Except my Avic and Rose hair. They're my only solo Ts. So I'll trade and downsize next. I can only think of 2 I really want. And a couple that I would like to own but could really care less if I don't. I'm feeling.... Fulfilled lol. Just B. emilia. And one day when I sell off 3 f these curly hairs I'll get a P. metallica.

Then maybe a M. balfiori (sp?) Because that one just caught my eye too... But a P. metallica would satiate that urge.

But I will now have 5 baboons personally to look after, I think I have enough. So maybe when some molt out male and die I'll look into new species. Or trade and sell.

Until then I'm happy with my collection and glad I have my baboons and glad I took a shot at some pokies. My collection has lots of multiples, but is varied enough to keep me happy too. I have lots of good staple species. None too expensive or complicated to keep and a few are quite beautiful to look at. And they should all be interesting personality wise. Perhaps a few of the OW being shy or pet burrows. We'll see.
I don't really see my M.balfouri, I just know the food is gone when I check. I see it maybe once a week though so I can't complain much. It was a little fire spittin' ball of anger when I was getting it out of the vial but has not given me any flak since then. I find I get pulled in all sorts of directions. I am going on a NW kick and then I'll probably go back to OW at some point and then bounce back again. Plus new species are coming into the hobby every year so you can never get bored.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I don't really see my M.balfouri, I just know the food is gone when I check. I see it maybe once a week though so I can't complain much. It was a little fire spittin' ball of anger when I was getting it out of the vial but has not given me any flak since then. I find I get pulled in all sorts of directions. I am going on a NW kick and then I'll probably go back to OW at some point and then bounce back again. Plus new species are coming into the hobby every year so you can never get bored.
I just thought "blue baboon!" And supposedly they're an easy care species. Which attracts me. There's still too many species that are too easy on the eye, wallet, and not demanding in care requirements for me to want much else. The P. metallica and B. emilia are the only ones I want specifically for how they look no matter what the cost, and again they're both supposedly dumb easy to care for. And the blue purple Pokie being calm, easy to care for, And often visible (suposedly) would make owning one of those kind of negate the need for a blue baboon. An orange baboon I'd cool enough. Especially to show people who don't know anything about tarantulas.

But like I said. I've found myself with about 16 total tarantulas that I'm now going to be interacting with each week. Some of which are technically mine. Some aren't. Most probably will be. So I'm just satisfied. I'm good for now. Too good. Like I'd give some back if I could lol.

We totally hijacked this thread btw.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Lol totally. We'll see. My 2 P. Regalis come today. :) If they do well and thrive with me I'll get that P. met.

Until then I have some work to do wit all these new slings.