Double Tank

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi all,

So, I would like to give a tarantula to a family member as a present. However, his mom has expressed concern about an escape and it didn't help that she's seen videos on Youtube of how they can sometimes "lift up lids" etc. Anyway, I figured a double tank method, to have a tank within a tank. Right now though, the only ones that work are a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium that fits inside of a size "Large" Kritter Keeper with lids secured on both. The glass tank is inside the Kritter Keeper. I want to give the spider more room though. Has anyone else tried this method before? Has it worked?

Thanks in advance.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I worked at a pet store years ago and we had a tank built similar to what you're describing. It was a cube tank, around 45 gallons or so, with a tower in the center. We put fish in the outside and birds on the inside. For the longest time the owner would answer people's queries by telling them the birds were great barrier finches and they live underwater. I can't for the life of me figure out how people didn't see the other tank inside. At any rate, it was quite the showpiece and it was super interesting to watch the birds and the fish. I would think that any tank could be attached to the inside of a larger tank. That may not be what you're looking for but it's a similar concept.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Get a critter keeper and let her get the lid off she will soon see it's not that easy, even for people... and we have opposable thumbs and everything.. ;)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It's not so much pushing the lid off that is the concern but rather if she managed to somehow chew through the lid.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I'm no expert, but don't think tarantulas are capable of that. From what I hear they're pretty easy to contain with common sense. Kritter keepers are tough. It should be fine. (Please note I don't keep tarantulas myself, but I do spend a fair amount of time in the tarantula section of this forum ;))

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm no expert, but don't think tarantulas are capable of that. From what I hear they're pretty easy to contain with common sense. Kritter keepers are tough. It should be fine. (Please note I don't keep tarantulas myself, but I do spend a fair amount of time in the tarantula section of this forum ;))
There was indeed a thread here where an Aphonopelma chewed through a Kritter Keeper lid. They had even posted pics of the damage at the time. It doesn't happen very often mind you, but it can still happen.

Randomjoe

Arachnopeon
If you already have a 2.5 glass tank and a metal screen lid and want more insurance that the T doesn't escape you could always go to a hardware store and pick up a $1 brick paver to set on top. I can't see any T that would comfertably fitting in the 2.5 being able to push that up :laugh: