Trinidad Chevron sling

ojpo

Arachnopeon
I just got a a Trinidad chevron (and a giant white knee). Both are slings, like 1/4 of an inch, maybe. But the trinny molted already earlier, and prior to the molting he/she was quite fat. Last i checked on her she was moving about and climbing the twig in her vial. But now her abdomen is looking pretty small. Should I wait to feed her, or toss in a baby cricket? I'm used to having terrestrials who always seem fat and plump. I'm not sure if just being a little overly nervous, but I figured I'd ask to be on the safe side.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Hey there, I'm pretty new to the tarantula hobby so I might not be too much help. But, from what I've read, molting can be very strenuous on spiders, even slings, so they're probably just a tad dehydrated. When my .5" L. Parahybana first molted it shrunk up a bit. Don't feed it for a few days to let it harden up again, but drop a little bit of water on one side of the enclosure. At least that's what I do. Good luck to you

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You need Stan Schultz's book, the Tarantula Keepers Guide, 3rd edition. It'll get you up to speed on a lot of things.

cold blood

Staff member
Even terrestrials have a smaller abdomen just after they molt, that's totally normal for all t's. That said, arboreal t's don't get as round of a rump, they need to stay slimmer to stay mobile in the trees so it can look more drastic. Both of those species grow very fast, but the P. cam grows exceptionally fast. After molting all t's are vulnerable until they harden up, until they do they will either hide or sit in all sorts of odd positions. Leave them be until they start acting normal and hunting. 4-7 days is a good time to wait for slings, although some can be ready in as little as 2. As adults, wait at least 7, if not up to 14 days.

And yes, molting is very stressful and exhausting for all t's, no matter their size or species. Make sure a water dish is available.

azroc909

Arachnosquire
But now her abdomen is looking pretty small.
Dont worry mostly all tarantulas abdomen seem pretty small after theyour molt, my slings tend to eat fairly quickly after a molt compaired to adults but give it couple days to harden. After you become familiar with your slings you will notice when they are ready to be fed. Good luck.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These recommendations of a week to two weeks are fine, but the surest way to tell is to look at the fangs. They are the last thing to harden on a T, and when they finally turn jet black, the T can safely be fed without risking damage.

cold blood

Staff member
These recommendations of a week to two weeks are fine, but the surest way to tell is to look at the fangs. They are the last thing to harden on a T, and when they finally turn jet black, the T can safely be fed without risking damage.
So true! :):)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I see your other inverts are a GBB and a G. pulchripes according to your profile. I sure hope you did research P. cambridgei before you got it - that T is big step (in my opinion) from those two you own.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Same thing happened to my P. Irminia... I posted about it too because her abdomen was so tiny. She looked a little weak to me but she is fine and plump now. Dont worry about yours and give it a week to harden before feeding....maybe a bit less at 1/4" but trust me, Psalmos will eat like champs and put the weight back on quick. I have a small Cambridgei myself and this spider is a fearless glutton just like my Irmina was at that size!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Same thing happened to my P. Irminia... I posted about it too because her abdomen was so tiny. She looked a little weak to me but she is fine and plump now. Dont worry about yours and give it a week to harden before feeding....maybe a bit less at 1/4" but trust me, Psalmos will eat like champs and put the weight back on quick. I have a small Cambridgei myself and this spider is a fearless glutton just like my Irmina was at that size!
Provided good setup, temp and food, these will also turn out up to 7" within a couple years. Biggest of the genus, so the OP will have to rehouse it quite frequently as they grow pretty quick.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Very quickly, I picked up mine from and expo in April at just shy of .75" and is already 3.25"-3.5" and was able to confirm it a female with the last molt.