moving slings?

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Hello to everyone again. I bought a .5" L. Parahybana not too long ago and he's already like, doubled in size (I realize they're notoriously fast growers). I have a bigger enclosure to settle him into, but the problem is how? With my adult T I put her in a deli cup and then put her elsewhere, what do I do with this guy? The first day I got him I released him into our kitchen so I don't have a great track record with handling. How do you guys relocate slings?

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
If the enclosure you're moving it into is big enough, you can just put the old enclosure inside and leave it open (obviously close the new one) and let the spider come out on its own. It's one of many methods, but it's a good one and it works for every species.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nudge him into a cup, place cup in new enclosure, nudge out of cup.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
My arachnophobic mother and i managed to safely move him into a more size appropriate container. Thanks everyone! One day I'll get the hang of dealing with slings

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My arachnophobic mother and i managed to safely move him into a more size appropriate container. Thanks everyone! One day I'll get the hang of dealing with slings
See this to me makes me think you're psyching yourself out. Slings aren't that much harder than adults--in fact depending on the species they can be significantly easier. Don't think of them as hard, be confident and I think you'll find it's a lot easier.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'm more brave I suppose with actually nudging slings (NW at least) with my fingertip. Otherwise try to get a pencil or toothpick or the like to corral them. Otherwise letting them come out of a smaller container into the larger one is good.

I do not touch OW slings as their venom can be just as potent at 1/2" as 10"

Amimia

Arachnosquire
See this to me makes me think you're psyching yourself out. Slings aren't that much harder than adults--in fact depending on the species they can be significantly easier. Don't think of them as hard, be confident and I think you'll find it's a lot easier.
I'm just worried about losing or squishing him. I'm probably being unreasonable, he's my first sling (second T) and I've only had him about 3 weeks. I'll try to relax more :biggrin:

LadyofSpiders

Arachnopeon
To me slings are easier than adults. They really go wherever you want them to. At least from the experience with mine anyway. The only one that gives me issues (including my pokies) for some reason was my E. cyanognathus. Mostly Becuase it wanted to hang onto the artists paint brush I use to coax slings... And wouldn't let go. So I just put the paintbrush in the new vial and nudged it with my finger and it went in. Just be very patient and gentle and always know that you are in control and the spider will be fine. For me, they get tougher as they get older cuz most of my species want to go toe to toe with me :) but it makes it fun.
You can also cut a hole out of the lid of a deli dish the same size as the vial your keeping the spider in and then cut a hole on the bottom of the same deli dish the size of whatever tool you use to coax your slings and that way you can place the deli dish over the vial and safely maneuver the sling out and into the new enclosure. It helps if you are unsure of how the spider will react.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm just worried about losing or squishing him. I'm probably being unreasonable, he's my first sling (second T) and I've only had him about 3 weeks. I'll try to relax more :biggrin:
Unless you're rudely shoving him around, "kick" him with whatever too you use, you'll be fine. Slings are fun to raise and see grow. The best reward is to see them doing well, growing and turning into the beautiful adult eventually. Don't be overly cautious, but don't be overconfident either. Use common sense and both of you will do just fine.