Lasiodora Parahybana and GBB

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
Hello all,

I am the proud guardian of two wonderful slings. One is a GBB named JewlZ, and the second is a LP named Pickles. I've noticed something odd about their respective behaviors and was wondering if anyone else had observed similar traits.

My GBB JewlZ spends all of her time in an arboreal state. She never comes down unless to get her meal and then hikes it back up to this wonderful funnel like web she's spun. That is where she molted recently as well. She is growing beautifully and her color changes are something to behold. I was told this species (the GBB) is terrestrial, but it does not appear to be the case, at least with her. She is still a sling though, but now a happy 3.5 inches.

And, my LP, Pickles, also just molted and already outgrown JewlZ, is now 4 or so inches and never comes out of his burrow!! I was told they pretty much don't hide at all, but he is very skittish and nervous but with an appetite to shame a gorilla! lol

If anyone here can give some advice I'd be very grateful. Thanks ;)

gobey

Arachnoknight
I don't think those qualify as slings anymore. Those are both juveniles/sub adults.

My 2 L.P.s are about 4" and 5". Both are very skittish and both have burrows. One hides in it all the time. The other only half the time. I'm hoping with size they'll stay out more. But they are reputably skittish.

Last edited:

Monkeyock

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I am the proud guardian of two wonderful slings. One is a GBB named JewlZ, and the second is a LP named Pickles. I've noticed something odd about their respective behaviors and was wondering if anyone else had observed similar traits.

My GBB JewlZ spends all of her time in an arboreal state. She never comes down unless to get her meal and then hikes it back up to this wonderful funnel like web she's spun. That is where she molted recently as well. She is growing beautifully and her color changes are something to behold. I was told this species (the GBB) is terrestrial, but it does not appear to be the case, at least with her. She is still a sling though, but now a happy 3.5 inches.

And, my LP, Pickles, also just molted and already outgrown JewlZ, is now 4 or so inches and never comes out of his burrow!! I was told they pretty much don't hide at all, but he is very skittish and nervous but with an appetite to shame a gorilla! lol

From what I have read, in the wild, GBB will make webs around the base of bushy or shrubby growth, and utilize the lower branches to some varying degrees. So yours' behavior is probably re-creating that. I have two GBB, a mature male and a 2" juvie, and the mm is mostly terrestrial and made a horizontal funnel web in his enclosure, and the smaller one webbed all over its fake plants in his enclosure and alternately sits beside them on webbed substrate, or on top of the plants depending on its mood.

I have 4 LP slings that are around 1.5-1.75" and they all have access to hide areas, and one uses it almost all the time, a couple use it sometimes, and one almost never uses it. I'm interested to see how they behave as they grow up and get big.

It wasn't until I had several of each species that I was aware that the "usual temperament/behavior" descriptions are general guidelines for maybe the majority of individuals in each species, but each individual may deviate far from the usual. That's what's so interesting about keeping, even the same species can keep you guessing if you have more than one individual, even when they are sac mates!

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, definitely NOT slings at that size...in fact they haven't been for a while. As for GBB, they're often described as semi-arboreal, and frequently have those tendencies.

The LP, as younger spiders they can be very skittish and hide a lot...its not until they are adults that they tend to stay out in the open. They get confident when they get BIG.

You are not dealing with any unusual behaviors for these species.;)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
GBB in their natural habitat live in burrows actually, but aside that they are quite adaptive in captivity and will utilize the whole cage if provided with ample achors to web onto. Don't own an LP but that simply sounds like a spider being a spider. They are all different and individuals will vary in behavior. Just because the general description says a T will be visible all the time, doesn't mean the particular one a person gets will follow that :D

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I third the juvies.. as for the Ts i say nothings wrong. My 2in lasy's are both always on display but my gbbs have dif lifestyles.. my male at 3.25-3.5 lives in a hammock like bed. Hardly touched sub. He does lay out in ooen but on more webbing inch or more above sub. Infact seen him playing acrobat so he didnt touch floor to drink.. my suspected fem, shes s land dweller i tried giving her leaves n etc to climb and make a similar web. But shes only got it making a web roof for her terestrial self. But isnt so offen to be seen.

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Hello all,

All Ts are different but for the most part GBBs love to climb but are terrestrials I have 2 they are rarely ever on the floor maybe that'll change as adults maybe not as long as they are healthy that's my only real concern.

Most of my LP slings (the length of an adult cricket) hide a lot but even if I take the hides (did an experiment) they'll still eat, thrive no problem.

And LPs are in the open as adults 4" isn't an adult LP so when it's full grown that might change