Need help with rehousing

magda101

Arachnopeon
I got my first Tarantula almost three weeks ago, so I'm very new to this.
She has midges in her tank and I want to clean it, but have no idea how to move her?Any tips or links to tutorials will be very helpful...

Kind regards,
Magda101

gobey

Arachnoknight
What kind of tarantula? This can alter your rehousing methods. You should have a catch cup, an artist's paintbrush, or long pair of tongs to maneuver the tarantula with. Ever catch bugs in cups as a kid? :)

milky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Go to youtube and type: tarantula rehousing

There is a lot of videos there.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The YT suggestion is one idea, or for example use a catchcup to put over her while you clean. Taking a T out of its enclosure "resets" them often, resulting in them having to get used to their enclosure once again.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Here are the steps I take with both OW and NW.
1) Get a work space that is clean without much clutter. A bathtub or a small clean room will work.
2) See where your T is and slowly open it's lid/door, if it starts to start running around or giving you a threat pose, then leave it a lone and try again later; if not go to the next step.
3) Get your catch cup/vial and slowly use a paint brush to nudge the tarantula into said container. You can tickle their abdomen or their legs to direct them.
4) Then put the cup into the new container, you can either let it come out on its own or gently nudge it out of the cup.
5) If possible put some of the old webbing in the new cage and leave the spider alone for a week or two. Don't bother feeding it during that time.

the best time to move a spider is during the time it's not very active like the day or when it's more plump as it will be a little slower. Tongs are needed if you are digging a T out or taking apart it's web hide on a log. As long as you're not re-housing an OBT you should do just fine, most Ts will go into the cup if you are patient enough, they do get tired eventually. Usually it takes me 5-10 minutes to rehouse a T, I just go slow and steady; both me and the T don't get hurt doing it nice and slow.

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would help to know what kind of tarantula it is.

magda101

Arachnopeon
Sorry for only replying now, it's an Indian Ornamental...
I have looked at various videos on youtube but none of them shows step by step, they're usually already out of their previous enclosure...

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

She is very relaxed, I actually feel sorry for her at times because she goes to the corner and looks like she's scared and trying to hide hahaha...

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 10:36 AM ----------

Thank you awiac, I will let you guys know how it went ;)

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 10:42 AM ----------

Oh and another question, she gathered all of her previous webbing and threw it into her water bowl, this was quite entertaining because she span new ones... Why did she throw it into her water bowl though? It looked like she did it intentionally?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sorry for only replying now, it's an Indian Ornamental...
I have looked at various videos on youtube but none of them shows step by step, they're usually already out of their previous enclosure...

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

She is very relaxed, I actually feel sorry for her at times because she goes to the corner and looks like she's scared and trying to hide hahaha...

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 10:36 AM ----------

Thank you awiac, I will let you guys know how it went ;)

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 10:42 AM ----------

Oh and another question, she gathered all of her previous webbing and threw it into her water bowl, this was quite entertaining because she span new ones... Why did she throw it into her water bowl though? It looked like she did it intentionally?
Well that doesn't tell us much as there are 13 species of Indian Ornamental aka the Poecilotheria genus, learn your scientific names but they all act similarly so at least we know that you are dealing with a very fast and potent spider. As for your water bowl question many tarantulas throw there trash in areas where water would come and wash in it away, she knows water is there so she threw it in there for it to be washed away; some of my T always throw their bolus in a certain spot too so it's very normal.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is only one "Indian Ornamental" and that is P.regalis. The ornamental tarantulas A.K.A. pokies or poecs are native to India and Sri Lanka.

OP: you could try researching the bag method.

awiec

Arachnoprince
There is only one "Indian Ornamental" and that is P.regalis. The ornamental tarantulas A.K.A. pokies or poecs are native to India and Sri Lanka.

OP: you could try researching the bag method.
I'm just speaking from experience from perusing for sale ads in my local area, I either see Indian Ornamental or Ornamental Baboon slapped onto at least 4 different pokie species that I could pick out; I certainly don't know what they call Ornamental Tarantulas in South Africa.

As for you OP, my regalis just clung onto her old webbing for dear life while I transferred so she was pretty simple. She did try to make a run for it after she got into the new cage so keep your cage top or catch cup handy as they will use their speed.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm going to be the devil here and say: I'm seing problems ahead. I'm also hoping I'm wrong about this.

What size of T are we speaking about? Here's an example for sling / small juvies I just rehoused recently:
[YOUTUBE]y4mUTWlKr5M[/YOUTUBE]

In regards to my initial comment: You're a starter, you stated. Why did you get a Poecilotheria regalis without even being aware how to do a rehouse? That's an OW T with very strong venom, able to be extremely fast and you don't strike me as having done sufficient research even to start with any OW species. Frankly, feeding, housing and rehousing, the like - that's starter knowledge a person should research -before- getting the specific T in mind. This seriously blows my mind...

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just speaking from experience from perusing for sale ads in my local area, I either see Indian Ornamental or Ornamental Baboon slapped onto at least 4 different pokie species that I could pick out; I certainly don't know what they call Ornamental Tarantulas in South Africa.

As for you OP, my regalis just clung onto her old webbing for dear life while I transferred so she was pretty simple. She did try to make a run for it after she got into the new cage so keep your cage top or catch cup handy as they will use their speed.
Ornamental baboons are Heteroscodra maculata, a totally unrelated species. They're a baboon tarantula native to Africa, not an ornamental tarantula, despite what the common name may suggest. Totally different genus. Ornamental tarantulas are only found in Asia.

I also second keeping a catch cup near by.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Ornamental baboons are Heteroscodra maculata, a totally unrelated species. They're a baboon tarantula native to Africa, not an ornamental tarantula, despite what the common name may suggest. Totally different genus. Ornamental tarantulas are only found in Asia.

I also second keeping a catch cup near by.
As I said, the people in my area just throw around common names, I went to go see an "Ornamental Baboon" and it was a P.regalis juvie. When I asked why they called it that they said all OW are called baboons and this one has some stripes on it so it's an ornamental. People will just make up names and common names are crud anyway so I don't like it when people use them. Regardless the OP went and got a tarantula they didn't even know the real name of, how to even transfer said spider or cared enough to research that said T is not for newbies. All can be done now is that they are given the best advice possible and might pay for their mistake of not researching; I certainly would take the spider if they lived in the US but that is not an option.

magda101

Arachnopeon
I'm going to be the devil here and say: I'm seing problems ahead. I'm also hoping I'm wrong about this.

What size of T are we speaking about? Here's an example for sling / small juvies I just rehoused recently:
[YOUTUBE]y4mUTWlKr5M[/YOUTUBE]

In regards to my initial comment: You're a starter, you stated. Why did you get a Poecilotheria regalis without even being aware how to do a rehouse? That's an OW T with very strong venom, able to be extremely fast and you don't strike me as having done sufficient research even to start with any OW species. Frankly, feeding, housing and rehousing, the like - that's starter knowledge a person should research -before- getting the specific T in mind. This seriously blows my mind...
First of all, I did do my research and this forum is there to help me. Sorry for not knowing all the scientific names by heart.
I'm merely looking for info and will then decide the best way for me to go.

Secondly, I didn't buy her. My boyfriend did and as with all the other pets he has I have to take care of them. He bought her because she's pretty and he got her for a good price.

Third, if you have a problem with giving advice you really shouldn't be here, because every newbie will be on here looking for answers.

And last but not least, I could've just not cared, but instead I'm here looking for the best answers I can get.

So stop being the devil and just try to help where you can instead.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 11:13 AM ----------

And in answer to your question on her size, she is as big as my hand and no, I haven't measured her in inches or centimetres because I don't know her well enough yet...

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Secondly, I didn't buy her. My boyfriend did and as with all the other pets he has I have to take care of them. He bought her because she's pretty and he got her for a good price.
I'd have a serious talk with him then if I'd be you. Impulse buys on animals "because they're pretty and nicely priced", without knowing anything really about them - are not really a good thing to do. Much less, if someone else than the initial person getting them has to take care of them - it's unfair and in this case, we're talking about an arachnid that is able to put either of you into a really miserable place if you get tagged. No one should go out and buy a venomous animal on an impulse because they like their looks...common-sense?

Third, if you have a problem with giving advice you really shouldn't be here, because every newbie will be on here looking for answers.
...and I did post a helpful answer besides stating my worries / reservations, too. Certainly don't have a problem giving advice, but I have a problem with people lacking common-sense and then acting annoyed when other members like myself point out concerns because of it. I feel sorry for you having been put into this place by your BF.

And in answer to your question on her size, she is as big as my hand and no, I haven't measured her in inches or centimetres because I don't know her well enough yet...
By logic, just measure your hand? I'm assuming we're talking about a juvie here, though. Approx. 4" perhaps?

Helpful: Search "bag method" on here - one way to rehouse. And as it has been pointed out multiple times, there are tons of YT vids showing different methods of rehousings, too.

In any case: If I'd be you, I'd sell that particular T to prevent problems and put your BF in his place about his impulse buys. That's my personal opinion to which I'm entitled to. You can take it the advice, or leave it - that's entirely up to you.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
As I said, the people in my area just throw around common names, I went to go see an "Ornamental Baboon" and it was a P.regalis juvie. When I asked why they called it that they said all OW are called baboons and this one has some stripes on it so it's an ornamental. People will just make up names and common names are crud anyway so I don't like it when people use them. Regardless the OP went and got a tarantula they didn't even know the real name of, how to even transfer said spider or cared enough to research that said T is not for newbies. All can be done now is that they are given the best advice possible and might pay for their mistake of not researching; I certainly would take the spider if they lived in the US but that is not an option.
Storm, I think this is what magda101 was getting snippy about not you're comments. This one kind of was a little harsh. OP is here expressly for the purpose of trying to learn. At least she's doing the best she can in a precarious situation. Her boyfriend is the idiot that impulse buys tarantulas, she's just trying to deal with that aftermath.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Storm, I think this is what magda101 was getting snippy about not you're comments. This one kind of was a little harsh. OP is here expressly for the purpose of trying to learn. At least she's doing the best she can in a precarious situation. Her boyfriend is the idiot that impulse buys tarantulas, she's just trying to deal with that aftermath.
I'm not attacking anyone personally here anyways. In her case, the best thing would be to sit down and have a serious talk with her boyfriend. But I'm not getting into the middle of a relationship over some post on a forum - not my business. I'm only stating my opinions. Besides, rat, she quoted my post and not awiec's :)

magda101

Arachnopeon

I am sorry for lashing out...

I don't know how to measure her, but i just used a ruler now...

In the upright position she's in now her body length is 7.5cm / 2.7" and the rest of her from toe to toe, top to bottom is 16.5cm / 6.2"

Hope this helps...

Like I said before the YT videos don't give me any specific way to this I have watched a few. I will try the bath tub method since I'm scared I will hurt her with the bag method...