Jungle Carpet Python + Hornworm?

Elyse

Arachnopeon
I bought a huge hornworm for my 3.5 inch p.metallica and the spider want's nothing to do with it.
Does anyone know if hornworms can be fed to a jungle carpet python? I don't want to waste the bug. I might end up eating it myself.

=)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have never, ever heard of any python species eating insects. There actually are only a few snakes that will eat insects, all of these small species. Rough and Smooth Green Snakes are primarily insect eaters. Most Bearded Dragons will eat these large caterpillars, as will several other larger insectivorous lizards, or large frogs, but not most snakes. You could just let it develop into a large moth if you have something to feed it.

pitbulllady

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm idly wondering it there is some genetic instruction in many animals to avoid hornworms. The hornworm diet can consist of some of the most toxic plants known and they become toxic accordingly. Nicotiana, Oleander, tomato and potato leaves, nightshade etc.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I'm idly wondering it there is some genetic instruction in many animals to avoid hornworms. The hornworm diet can consist of some of the most toxic plants known and they become toxic accordingly. Nicotiana, Oleander, tomato and potato leaves, nightshade etc.
I'm not sure. The main animals I feed them to are black tree monitors, who aren't native to the hornworms' range, and a striped skunk, who is native but captive bred. None of the animals have any hesitation eating them. I would be curious how some birds would react if offered hornworms, though.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
probably snark they are usually realy bright[in the wild]. and what does bright mean? TOXIC :p i love horn worms great for fishing:love: but i had beardies i fed mine to. which ofcourse, Australia inhabitants. i used to try and feed the babies to my parrots, no luck they looked at me like i was crazy [CB ofcourse so not bright colored]

a colubrid is the only snake sp i know who will eat a bug thats just my knowledge typically a garder... but if your T wont eat it. use it for fishing :D or give me them to me lol

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I've seen several feeding videos of people feeding hornworms to their T's, maybe your's just doesn't know it's food because it's so unfamiliar. I've read somewhere recently too that sometimes it will take several introductions of a new food item to your pets before they will try it.

Kind of like children; when introducing a new food to a child beginning to eat solid foods will often times take 3 - 4 attempts to offer a specific food to your child before they will usually respond favorably. Some foods are accepted instantly, others take some time.

LauraMI

Arachnopeon
Have hornworms to three of my T's for the first time; 2 devoured, one didn't. That latter is new however & had two small crickets the day before.
But yes, very expensive to waste.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
i fed a small hornworm to my platyomma and he ate it. but he'll eat anything. it was pretty messy and it fattened him up quickly. hornworms grow so quickly, i have trouble feeding them all off to my beardie before they get too big and start dying. i was hoping the skink would help him finish off a cup of them, but he's no help.
an adult-size hornworm is so big and juicy, i'd probably only feed it to one of the larger T genera like Theraphosa, Lasiodora, or Pamphobeteus. i also worry about their jaws, at adult size a hornworm's jaws can match a superworms for bitey power and crushing/removing the heads is a bit more awkward due to the softness and juiciness of the worm. those things are flexible and they'll put up a fight.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i fed a small hornworm to my platyomma and he ate it. but he'll eat anything. it was pretty messy and it fattened him up quickly. hornworms grow so quickly, i have trouble feeding them all off to my beardie before they get too big and start dying.
Fridge buddy, fridge ;)

Last edited:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a huge hornworm for my 3.5 inch p.metallica and the spider want's nothing to do with it.
Does anyone know if hornworms can be fed to a jungle carpet python? I don't want to waste the bug. I might end up eating it myself.

=)
Nope. Stick with mice. Perhaps your metallica wasn't hungry? You could try again later.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
The only snake I have seen eat a 'bug' is an eastern wormsnake (Carphophis a. amoenus). They love earthworms! lol