B smithi sling won't eat and has small abdomen.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
The title pretty much says it all. I bought it a week ago from a local pet store. It's 1/4" or 1/3" ish. The abdomen is the same size as the carapace, maybe a little smaller. He's too small to get a decent picture of. I can get a bad one if it'll help. So far I've tried different parts of a cricket (head, body segments, arms and legs, ect). Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Is the substrate damp? That could turn them off. A week without food won't kill it. Try again in a couple of days.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
As with most brachys the best bet is prekilled. Your best is to be sure to continue to mist with water once a week and try a smaller container such as a 20dram or smaller vial. Fruit flies may be attempted but best luck will be the large cricket leg. Place in a dark area for 24hrs. Try to feed once every 5 days at that size.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Is the substrate damp? That could turn them off. A week without food won't kill it. Try again in a couple of days.
The sub is pretty dry.

---------- Post added 09-14-2014 at 09:35 PM ----------

As with most brachys the best bet is prekilled. Your best is to be sure to continue to mist with water once a week and try a smaller container such as a 20dram or smaller vial. Fruit flies may be attempted but best luck will be the large cricket leg. Place in a dark area for 24hrs. Try to feed once every 5 days at that size.
He's already being fed pre-killed. I'll upgrade him in 5 mins or so.

cold blood

Staff member
Sometimes they just won't eat...other times they just choose to molt very early without ever getting really fat. I have a B. vagans that when it was that size, would eat once, maybe twice after molting, then sit idle for a month or so before molting. Its sibling would eat 8-10 meals in that same time.

I also have a pair of B. albiceps, one eats well and plumps up normally, the other is the master faster. Despite its small size (its just under 3/4" now), it stops eating well before it gets that plump rump. It just went 44 days refusing food. I kept offering because its rump was still kinda small, but it kept refusing like it was its job. After that 44 day fast, it molted last night without issue. Both of the t's I mentioned are also growing slower than their respective siblings or all other brachy slings that I have raised. I wouldn't worry if I were you, its just taking its sweet time....maybe its just lazy...lol.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Sometimes they just won't eat...other times they just choose to molt very early without ever getting really fat. I have a B. vagans that when it was that size, would eat once, maybe twice after molting, then sit idle for a month or so before molting. Its sibling would eat 8-10 meals in that same time.

I also have a pair of B. albiceps, one eats well and plumps up normally, the other is the master faster. Despite its small size (its just under 3/4" now), it stops eating well before it gets that plump rump. It just went 44 days refusing food. I kept offering because its rump was still kinda small, but it kept refusing like it was its job. After that 44 day fast, it molted last night without issue. Both of the t's I mentioned are also growing slower than their respective siblings or all other brachy slings that I have raised. I wouldn't worry if I were you, its just taking its sweet time....maybe its just lazy...lol.
Alright. Thanks. I normally wouldn't worry but the last T I got starved itself to death. It's was a 1/4" Pseudohaplopus sp "long hair" that didn't eat for 3 months.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Alright. Thanks. I normally wouldn't worry but the last T I got starved itself to death. It's was a 1/4" Pseudohaplopus sp "long hair" that didn't eat for 3 months.
I see your reason for concern. That would make me worry too. Keep trying. Perhaps give it a live pinhead cricket. Keep an eye on it and see if that stimulation doesn't turn feed mode on. If that doesn't work, try fruit flies.