Funny spots on my red rump: Revisited

Saark

Arachnosquire
So, back in June I got a B. vagans and found strange little blisters or bald spots on the abdomen and had posted a picture asking if anyone knew what was going on. Well, it's been three months and little if anything has changed. No molt yet and bumps look just the same. The T has a healthy appetite and seems to be doing fine. At this point I'm wondering, am I being overly paranoid keep it in quarantine out of my tarantula room? The nights are really starting to get cold and the rest of the house doesn't get out of the high sixties.

What do you all think?

Thanks again for your input

Spots as they were back in June
AbdomenBlisters.jpg

Spots as they are today
AbdomenBlistersSept.jpg

B. vagans today
Bvagans14-09-14.jpg

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is bizarre. I'd be inclined to err on the cautious side and keep it quarantined until next molt.

Saark

Arachnosquire
I hope she molts soon. It may be another 3 months or more... I've got her half on a low wattage heat mat but it's barely keeping her above 70 and it's just going to get colder. During the winter we keep the furnace set at 64 during the day and 58 during the night. My other Ts get to enjoy the space heater I just bought today :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I hope she molts soon. It may be another 3 months or more... I've got her half on a low wattage heat mat but it's barely keeping her above 70 and it's just going to get colder. During the winter we keep the furnace set at 64 during the day and 58 during the night. My other Ts get to enjoy the space heater I just bought today :)
ever thought about a Ceramic Heat Emitter? CHE's are used for herps but i have used them for everything from fish to scorplings its actually my secondary heat for my quarantines next to a set of small UTH kept on stats :)

also before anyone jumps my case about they can very in temps. each item has its own stat. with probes. i operate typically 4-6 heat pads at a time running off of indevidual herp stat 1 and herp stat 2's. also run one off of a johnson controls t-stat :) no lps stats here :) typically i place this on the right [warm] side taking up less then 1/3 the QT container :) iv adapted this from my herps to T's they dont seem to mind XD

Last edited:

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can place the enclosure in a Styrofoam cooler, and if you place a heat pad in it (or below, under, or on the side) you can get the temp to the 80s. They sell foam coolers at the .99Cent Store, but not sure if they have them in your area. Just drill holes in the lid to allow heat to escape, and keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Once you find the optimal number of holes to drill, and where to place the heat source, it'll stay pretty constant start throughout the day and night.

Last edited:

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My B. vagans has the same thing. She had a few last instar but after the last molt she has more. She's 5 1/2" now and I've had her since 2i. They look just like yours'. Mine eats fine and appears to be healthy. I have no clue what it is or if it's bad or not or what. I'll get i touch with you if I have any developments, you do the same.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Just throwing this out there, maybe some type of fungal infection? Maybe previous keeper was keeping with far too little ventilation/high humidity and now in your care has better conditions which has prevented/slowed the progression. Just what comes to mind when I look at the pictures. Hopefully they are gone/ reduced with the next molt.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
what's striking to me is that telepatellas spider molted out with more spots. Any arachnologist in the house?

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
what's striking to me is that telepatellas spider molted out with more spots. Any arachnologist in the house?

true after re reading that I think it kinda blows my idea outta the water. Unless maybe its something that is happening deeper than the exoskeleton and is spreading below the surface showing progression with each molt?

cold blood

Staff member
Maybe it had suspect breeding habits at one time....STD alert...teehee, don't touch the warts...eeeeewww. hahaha

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
But, I was wondering about inbreeding.
but if this was the case woudlnt we see diferent deformations first? more duds,bent legs etc etc? maybe ditzy wobbly spiders? not random spots? and woudlnt it be more likely wed see simething in other species of spiders first? like smithis or something?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I think I would put a little dab of anti fungal on each spot and see if it clears up? Idk. :(