Jumping spiders

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Oh wow. That is super cute. I get three different kinds/colours of jumpers on my balcony, but none has smiley faces! Mine are black with green chelicerae, black/brown, and an almost OBT shade of orange. I find them chasing each other around.

And now I'm going to start looking for smiling ones too!

Edit: doesn't matter that you're far far from me, I'm still gonna look for them. :)

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
Yeah he is - I had to control my chuckling and not shaking the camera while taking the video- he was way more responsive/reactive to me than any of my Ts - probably because jumpers are prey sight hunters and have more acute vision than Ts - have a few others in my apartment - 1 lives inside my shower stall - will look out for them and see if they are same species with smiley faces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I love it when they jerk their little fuzzy pedipalps up and down like that! It's very cute, and gives them such character too.

JayDangerVL

Arachnosquire
Er... could it maybe be Hasarius adansoni? Maybe like a juvenile? That's my wild guess anyway. Nice find, at any rate! :D

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
Er... could it maybe be Hasarius adansoni? Maybe like a juvenile? That's my wild guess anyway. Nice find, at any rate! :D
Google the species, you're absolutely right! Many thanks:) it actually seems quite intelligent - very inquisitive and with the smiley face - cheeky - I am new fan of it!!!

JayDangerVL

Arachnosquire
lol I rarely trust a Google search when it comes to spiders, but thank you.

I totally know what you mean about the jumper having that sort of personality! Jumpers are my favorite kind of spider to keep--they seem very cat-like to me. The most common ones I get around my house are Phidippus audax and Playcryptus undatus. Both beautiful jumpers with amazing personalities!

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
Oooohh that p audax is stunning!
Growing up, it's almost a schoolboy tradition that we keep - THIANIA BHAMOENSIS aka malaysian Singapore fighting spider - I was the rescue centre for battled males - nursing them back to health and releasing them in my garden.

JayDangerVL

Arachnosquire
Wow! I love the colors on these guys! I've never heard of a spider like that--that's so cool! I just looked up a youtube video--almost like they just sort of take part in grappling matches, right?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Wow, that one looks like it has a spooky Halloween face on it's bum!! I love it, perfect timing.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
Wow! I love the colors on these guys! I've never heard of a spider like that--that's so cool! I just looked up a youtube video--almost like they just sort of take part in grappling matches, right?
We kept them in little tin boxes with a leaf - on our breaks, we will take them out to battle - usually after the male contestants have been pepped up and shown a female, they go a little berserk. The males will grapple, shove and occasionally bite the opponent - winner gets the girl.

JayDangerVL

Arachnosquire
Are there any rules to the fights? Does everybody have to bring their own female, too? Do these have to take place during a certain time of year, or does it go year-round?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Are there any rules to the fights? Does everybody have to bring their own female, too? Do these have to take place during a certain time of year, or does it go year-round?
Free for all. Anything goes. Rappelling, ankle biting, hiding behind a horsefly, puddle jumping and lots of calling each other nasty names. Often the female hangs about to watch, only to turn the winner into her dinner.