Substrate?

husoldire

Arachnopeon
I am never satisfied with the substrate that I put in my T enclosures I have tried 2 different kinds of ecoearth and I feel like it just isn't "natural"? What do you guys use for substrate? Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I only use bagged potting soil, the cheap kind from Home Depot that sells for $1.30 for 40 lbs. Good stuff, holds it's shape for burrower and tunnels. I don't like any of the cocofibers, it's not natural for T's, as there isn't much that can survive living under falling coconuts.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I switched to exp terra plantation soil. It's cheaper than eco earth
My G. porteri and my L.p.s seem fine with it. Both OBTs have settled on it as terrestrial Ts now. It's more like dirt than eco earth. More earthy.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I switched to exp terra plantation soil. It's cheaper than eco earth
My G. porteri and my L.p.s seem fine with it. Both OBTs have settled on it as terrestrial Ts now. It's more like dirt than eco earth. More earthy.
:laugh: It's exactly the same stuff, just coco fiber under different brand names.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
you just gota find what works for you. iv preached eco earth for years [i keep herps] but i quickly found out not all T's like it XD my b. smithi doesnt know how to burrow she bulldozes.. so my nice packed down sub. turned into fluff.. now shes trying to make a burrow for molting.. and its bearly panning out XD i have a few on eco peat mixes. and a few on soil. i cant decide what i like the best. for my tropicals im def gona use my eco peat and eco spagna peat mix. makes decent burrows as well as keeps humidity up. but my dry sp is what i cant decide on. dont like the idea of potting soil as it seems to mold. but after baking i havent had much trouble.

its a personal choice. realy but an internal battle for me lmao

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
dont like the idea of potting soil as it seems to mold. but after baking i havent had much trouble.
I don't have mold issues with top soil and I live in a hot, humid state. Maybe you need more ventilation?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I don't have mold issues with top soil and I live in a hot, humid state. Maybe you need more ventilation?
doubt it, iv had luck after i baked it, but kept in a 10g moist to see how i liked it and got white mold that turned into mushrooms, yuck. after throwing away the spots and shrooms i baked it.after baking it i dont see that issue. not sure what it is i have one cage with dirt from a private yard another from a bag of dirt.. the bag grew the umbrella mushrooms and i did a imediate rehouse to a catchcup and threw other soil in oven. it is now fine after heat treating :p

gobey

Arachnoknight
:laugh: It's exactly the same stuff, just coco fiber under different brand names.
It's also coconut I know, but it's a different consistency. Not as much long stringy fibers. It's more like dirt. And cheaper. :p

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's also coconut I know, but it's a different consistency. Not as much long stringy fibers. It's more like dirt. And cheaper. :p
I've used both interchangeably for years with no discernible difference in consistency whatsoever. Also, Eco earth has almost always been cheaper than plantation soil where I live at least. (Exo Terra products are pricey at retail pet stores here, you have to go to reptile shows to get reasonable prices or order online.)

Even a quick glance at Amazon shows Exo Terra's brand being slightly more expensive:

Loose dry bags, for example:
Eco Earth 8 qt. $7.69
Plantation Soil 7.2 qt. $8.68

3 count compressed bricks:
Eco Earth $5.29
Plantation Soil $5.99

Not to mention you can get Eco Earth in a loose 24 qt. bag, which is more cost effective. Exo Terra doesn't even have an option to purchase a single bag of that size. I usually use the loose bags, so I don't have to worry about any of that soaking/expanding/baking/drying you experienced in this thread:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?267509-Baking-wet-substrate.-Plus-sex-my-L.p.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Hmmm... must just be my store. Brock of exo terra is $3.50 and eco earth is $5. It's just the pet store here I guess.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Eco earth works for all my T's/true spider's etc, but its best to try others out and come to a conclusion as to what works better.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I only use bagged potting soil, the cheap kind from Home Depot that sells for $1.30 for 40 lbs. Good stuff, holds it's shape for burrower and tunnels. I don't like any of the cocofibers, it's not natural for T's, as there isn't much that can survive living under falling coconuts.
This is what I use, too.

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 12:56 PM ----------

doubt it, iv had luck after i baked it, but kept in a 10g moist to see how i liked it and got white mold that turned into mushrooms, yuck. after throwing away the spots and shrooms i baked it.after baking it i dont see that issue. not sure what it is i have one cage with dirt from a private yard another from a bag of dirt.. the bag grew the umbrella mushrooms and i did a imediate rehouse to a catchcup and threw other soil in oven. it is now fine after heat treating :p
FYI, neither those mushrooms nor mold will necessitate rehousing. And if you are wanting to keep it damp, you can toss in some isopods whichwill keep it in check.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
This is what I use, too.

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 12:56 PM ----------

FYI, neither those mushrooms nor mold will necessitate rehousing. And if you are wanting to keep it damp, you can toss in some isopods whichwill keep it in check.
Been studying isos just never find them as cheep as id like.. debated on putting out a slate slab to attract some n isolate wc ones to see how i like them xD

my genic and lassys like moist soil all hid on hides/dish when dry... one of my roseas also favors wet sub but i dont wana moist quarter or half of sub lol