Winterizing my T's

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
Just became a neophyte to the T hobby and I wanted to know what are the best ways to keep my T's warm throughout the winter months . I've heard and find it logical that heating pads would devastate them, I had consider a space heater but considered the potential hazard in the unseen transmitted heat variables. So what do you guys use or suggest ?

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Check out the Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Stan Schultz. It has a section on temperature. The short answer is this: If you're comfortable - they are. But you should get or read that book/section. It will be very clear to you what you need to do for this and almost all other care questions (not that you shouldn't talk about your issues though).

cold blood

Staff member
Winterizing? They are t's, not a boat...lol. Seriously though, if you do a search you will find lots of info on the subject, much of it rather recent. A space heater is the safest, cheapest way under most circumstances. They make them now much safer than back in the day...also much more economical to run as well.

If your profile is correct and your in N. Carolina, I don't see why there would be a need to do much of anything, its not exactly the great white north.;)

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
it gets pretty cold for a couple of months in NC... below 32 degrees for a while. That being said, unless you lack central air and heat, (which I believe a lot of people in NC use kerosene heaters and so may NOT have central heat), you'll be fine. If you don't have central heat, use space heaters. They are safer now then they used to be and most have automatic shut offs if they get too hot or get tipped over.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks I consider a space heater yeah That will work !
I've used space heaters during the winter in my room before, it's just a little electric one that shuts itself down. Really it was just for the windows so I wouldn't have ice form on the windowsills but the Ts seemed comfortable with it on. The lowest my room gets is about 65-68 during the night and all of my T's seem fine and grow at a decent clip. They should be okay as long as the room isn't regularly dipping below that level. A little cooler temps during the night time is not going to hurt them and is very natural for most of them actually.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Winterizing? They are t's, not a boat...lol. Seriously though, if you do a search you will find lots of info on the subject, much of it rather recent. A space heater is the safest, cheapest way under most circumstances. They make them now much safer than back in the day...also much more economical to run as well.

If your profile is correct and your in N. Carolina, I don't see why there would be a need to do much of anything, its not exactly the great white north.;)
dang you cold. i JUST seen this lmao and thats the first thing i thought "winterizing? wtf they arnt a boat or sea-doo o_O"

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 04:32 AM ----------

i also recomend a space heater preferably the ones that have a shut off if they tip over. and for extra security id put it on a surg protecter and tstat :p

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
dang you cold. i JUST seen this lmao and thats the first thing i thought "winterizing? wtf they arnt a boat or sea-doo o_O"

---------- Post added 09-16-2014 at 04:32 AM ----------

i also recomend a space heater preferably the ones that have a shut off if they tip over. and for extra security id put it on a surg protecter and tstat :p
you are a fan of overkill aren't' you.. LOL no seriously though, the more precautions you can take the better off you will be in any event. :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
you are a fan of overkill aren't' you.. LOL no seriously though, the more precautions you can take the better off you will be in any event. :)
haha WEEEELLL.. lol actually yes im in the middle of tornado ally more or less.. you dont know security or precaution till youv had lightning fry 2 (two) $400 tstat, and a alienware desktop computer XD i actually used to run 3 stats off of one another.. one stat plugged into another, into another and that way when one broke, it let full current thru, but the other 2 stopped it XD plus i checked it for flaws every week lmao.. security is no game when you keep animals :p

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If your looking to add heat, go with a oil filled heater. Those small electric fan heaters are junk, and like to short out.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As the others have said space heaters work. I prefer one with a thermostat. I just bought a Lasko CT22410. You can get them for $50 at Walmart. I'm personally not digging this model but its working. Its OK to keep tarantulas a little cooler but I suggest not to go below 68 degrees Fahrenheit. I like to control the day and night temps. In my T room during the day its always 80-85 and at night its 68-72. You don't need the higher temps. However I personally get very specific. Just as long as you have normal room temps your tarantulas will be more than fine during the winter. Cooler temps definitely will not hurt them.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Check out the Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Stan Schultz. It has a section on temperature. The short answer is this: If you're comfortable - they are. But you should get or read that book/section. It will be very clear to you what you need to do for this and almost all other care questions (not that you shouldn't talk about your issues though).
Thanks for all the good words!

Also read Myths: Temperature.

In fact, back up that web tree a few branches and start reading from Spiders, Calgary.

________________________ THOUGHT FOR THE DAY _______________________

DID YOU KNOW -

All the television documentaries notwithstanding, no one has died of a spider bite in North America since the Korean War!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Jeeze, talk about over-thinking! Haven't you folks ever heard of a hibachi grill.? Seven eight bucks at Wal-mart, plus another ten bucks or so for charcoal and lighter fluid and you are more than set for the entire winter.*

*Note for the truly stupid who are not familiar with me...eh, never mind. If you are that stupid and especially if you are not familiar with me and never have visited the Watering Hole, you deserve what you get for following my advice. :D**

** No,seriously, take my advice, don't follow my advice.

Akai

Arachnobaron
additionally you can buy styrofoam coolers/ice chest for cheap at Walmart or save your insulated boxes you get your Ts in the mail in to store your collection if temps get dangerously low or god forbid you get a power outage. this past years polar vortex was particularly nasty especially to the northern U.S. and Canada.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Being in Florida, I haven't turned on my furnace in 4 or 5 years. I use a space heater to heat my T room, and let it get down to the high 60's at night. I'd let it get a few degrees cooler, but I want the slings to keep feeding regularly so they grow. In the daytime in the winter, the room high is always 70-75+. There are a few days here it doesn't get above the 50's, and that too cold from my tropicals.