Does there exist any OW Tarantula similar to Acanthoscurria geniculata (B.WhiteKnee)

Testamento

Arachnopeon
Im searching for OW Tarantula similar to the NW Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian Whiteknee). In that regards, Im looking for the following traits

- big size,
- hungry
- visible (no hiding pet-holes)

The reason that I dont want A.Geniculata is the urticating hair/bristles.

Thanks!

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When it comes to old worlds, you won't be getting much visibility with most of them. Obviously there are exceptions to every generalization about tarantulas, but for the most part old worlds are secretive.
HOWEVER, with that said there are plenty of species that meet the first two requirements. H. gigas is a species that gets to big papa size reasonably fast and has an appetite. I'm tempted to say P. muticus as well, but there's really no way in h-e-c-letter that comes after j that a P. muticus would ever be as visible as an A. geniculata. There's plenty of very big old world arboreal T's, but they're very leggy and light, not very similar to an A. genic in build.

Verdict: try the Hyserocrates genus. The hercules is very huge, as is the gigas. Just remember that nearly all old world terrestrial T's are pretty likely to burrow.

Last edited:

Testamento

Arachnopeon
So there is no OWT who meet all the criterias, including the being visable skill:/ ?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most Old World species are naturally more reclusive and hide a lot. The only ones I can think of that are regularly visible are poecs.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Most Old World species are naturally more reclusive and hide a lot. The only ones I can think of that are regularly visible are poecs.
Agreed, my most visible of all my OW is my P.metallica, ironically my P.muticus is actually out pretty often but most OW usually prefer to hide. Of course you will get variation but most people can agree that pokies are some of the more bold OW. I think they would meet the OP's requirements as they get large, stuff their faces and even have lovely patterns. Another good option might be some of the dwarf OW like H.gabonensis or H.villosella as they can be pretty active and like to eat but are small; if the size factor is not a very important requirement. The biggest question is if the OP has the appropriate experience for an OW as some will make a A.geneticulata look like a kitten and run circles around them.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Since you're looking for an OW,I assume you don't want to handle it.If you're not handling it,you're not likely to have THAT much trouble with the hairs.I have some T's with awful urticating hairs(T.stirmi) and only once did the inside of my fingers get itchy because I carelessly handled a molt.Other than that,no problems,unless you have some sort of severe reaction,I wouldn't let it stop you from getting the spider you want.

Testamento

Arachnopeon
To be honest, I dont like the idea of urticating hairs when we have children. Since the tarantula will be staying in our livingromm, there is no guarante that the A.geniculata will kick hair (when cleaning, tank jobbs), and the bristles/hairs become airborn into the room. Getting them bastards into the eyes like ive read reports from, scares the heck out of me. I rather feel Grim Reaper pain a few days then using eyedrops/pain the rest of my life. Therefor the choise of OWT

Any comments to help me futher is welcome:)

awiec

Arachnoprince
To be honest, I dont like the idea of urticating hairs when we have children. Since the tarantula will be staying in our livingromm, there is no guarante that the A.geniculata will kick hair (when cleaning, tank jobbs), and the bristles/hairs become airborn into the room. Getting them bastards into the eyes like ive read reports from, scares the heck out of me. I rather feel Grim Reaper pain a few days then using eyedrops/pain the rest of my life. Therefor the choise of OWT

Any comments to help me futher is welcome:)
It doesn't matter if you don't want to deal with urticating hairs, if you aren't ready for an OW T then it certainly shouldn't be around children. If it's going to be in the living room where I assume there will be a lot of activity then you're not going to see the T much, pokies are notorious for hating light and lots of noise (as does most Ts). Get a G.pulchra, they don't kick and usually aren't aggressive which solves your problem. I've honestly have only had one T attempt to kick hairs at me, the rest of my collection just retreat. You do know that there are NW Ts that lack the hairs right? Taps while they are not large, don't have any hairs and I see mine pretty often but they like to bolt which I imagine is not beginner or child friendly.

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Awiec is right: OW Ts hide a lot; as far as they stay in a living room with much activities and noises, you're probably gonna see them only at night (that's what is happening in my case). If it doesn't matter, then H gigas or Poecilotheria are excellent choices (for big sizes), as mentionned earlier. If you appreciate a "display" T, then you should stick with NW. Personnaly, I've three children, my Ts are in the living room, and I've several ones with urticating bristles since years. Nobody in the family has had any problems so far. As soon as you are prudent when opening the enclosure (the children shouldn't approach their faces too close) and act quietly, you shouldn't have any trouble. I've never noticed airbourne hairs in the room. To choose a rather "peacful" T (like mentioned, G pulchra for instance) rather than a hair kicker (like my B boehmei!) is a good idea. Maybe here's another idea: my C cyaneopubescens never kicked hair at me.

Testamento

Arachnopeon
It doesn't matter if you don't want to deal with urticating hairs, if you aren't ready for an OW T then it certainly shouldn't be around children. If it's going to be in the living room where I assume there will be a lot of activity then you're not going to see the T much, pokies are notorious for hating light and lots of noise (as does most Ts). Get a G.pulchra, they don't kick and usually aren't aggressive which solves your problem. I've honestly have only had one T attempt to kick hairs at me, the rest of my collection just retreat. You do know that there are NW Ts that lack the hairs right? Taps while they are not large, don't have any hairs and I see mine pretty often but they like to bolt which I imagine is not beginner or child friendly.
Thanks for you input. I know there are some NW that dont have those urticating hairs, but those who lack them are most likely as potent as OWT? Maybe the exeption of pokies. I have thought about getting a pokie, but id really like size on the tarantulas. The G.pulchra do kick hairs btw, They are reluctant to kick hairs, but they do.

Here is an eye accident from a G.Pulchra:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/855658-urticating-hair-my-eye.html

If im ready or not to have a OWT, time will show. I have had several of NW tarantulas before, but that was before kids:happy:. I dont want to expose kids for urticating hair, therefore a T without those hairs (OW or NW) is preferable.

Looking forward for more comments/help.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks for you input. I know there are some NW that dont have those urticating hairs, but those who lack them are most likely as potent as OWT? Maybe the exeption of pokies. I have thought about getting a pokie, but id really like size on the tarantulas. The G.pulchra do kick hairs btw, They are reluctant to kick hairs, but they do.

Here is an eye accident from a G.Pulchra:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/855658-urticating-hair-my-eye.html

If im ready or not to have a OWT, time will show. I have had several of NW tarantulas before, but that was before kids:happy:. I dont want to expose kids for urticating hair, therefore a T without those hairs (OW or NW) is preferable.

Looking forward for more comments/help.
My comment about G.pulchra was more towards that they don't usually kick, they have hair and I know they will kick if they want to, only T that has ever haired me is my pulchripes so I'm very aware of the fact the genus can kick. The NW who lack hairs don't have bites like OW, hence why it's always suggested to get a pslamo or a tap before getting an OW, they have all the speed and temper but not the potent venom. You can also opt for something like an A.anax, their hairs are so mild that many people have no reaction. Hairs really shouldn't be your worry as long as your kids aren't shoving their faces in the cage; I'd be more worried for an high strung OW to get out and hurt them instead.

Testamento

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I agree Awiec. But I cant see how the kids would be stung by OW as we dont handle them. Parants will do tankmaintainance, and the general work. I also agree about the hairs, but my concern if there would be a little airflow from a window in the livingroom, can that a factor to make the urticating hairs airborn and wander around the livingroom and possible into eyes. Everyone keep telling me that I should worrie about the hairs , but the eye-reports tells difference, many from experienced owners that took precautions.

I will look into the psalmo and tap. I thought they were just as potent as OWs. Just hope they are hungry and a not pet-holes.

.Nikola.

Arachnopeon
Try with Avicularia sp. They are New world but don't have a lot of urticating hairs, and the best thing - they don't kick them as a defensive mechanism but rub them on the enemy. So you might acquire some hairs if you handle it but otherwise you won't have any problems.

p.s. It is an arboreal species so it doesn't resemble A. geniculata in any way :)

Testamento

Arachnopeon
Dzoni: Thanks for the tips. But still, they leave those darn hairs in the ground. So the problem still exist in tank maintainance, even a slight Breathe in the tank can make them hairs fly Im guessing. Maybe I am exaggerating my fears... been reading to many accident reports from the hairs.

.Nikola.

Arachnopeon
Trust me, there is 20X more chance that an OW tarantula with its blazing speed will escape when you open it's enclosure than the situation you mentioned will happen. And you don't want to have an escaped OW tarantula with kids around.
You should read some bite reports from the OW's and I'm sure you will change your mind immediately.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Dzoni: Thanks for the tips. But still, they leave those darn hairs in the ground. So the problem still exist in tank maintainance, even a slight Breathe in the tank can make them hairs fly Im guessing. Maybe I am exaggerating my fears... been reading to many accident reports from the hairs.
Hair reports are usually only severe cases, usually involving someone who is very sensitive or got them in their mucus membranes of their eyes or mouth, most of the time some itching is present but it goes away; a bite from a scared OW will always be serious.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Trust me, there is 20X more chance that an OW tarantula with its blazing speed will escape when you open it's enclosure than the situation you mentioned will happen. And you don't want to have an escaped OW tarantula with kids around.
You should read some bite reports from the OW's and I'm sure you will change your mind immediately.
+1. Besides temperament and stronger venoms, OW's also tend to be more likely to run at high speeds. When NW's developed urticating hairs, they no longer had to rely on these other self-preservation strategies nearly as much. For someone wanting a living room display for the family, and who doesn't have much experience with tarantulas, geniculata is a FAR better choice than an OW. The OP has got himself unnecessarily worked up over the hairs. The people who suffer from them are almost always the ones handling or prodding them.

Monkeyock

Arachnopeon
What a discussion. I would like to second aweic with the Psalmopoeus suggestion. P.cambridgei gets pretty big, is usually a confident animal that stays "out and about" and based on the bite reports I have read has less potent venom than most old world T's. P.irminia get big too, but mine was very secretive until he became a mature wandering male, and I rarely saw him on display. Both of these will surprise the unprepared with their speed though, so do be aware of that. Personally, outside of itchy fingers here and there, I have had very little reaction with urticating bristles from any of my NW species. My B.vagans and C.cyaneopubescens are both flickers, but it never really bothered me.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard psalmos have more potent venom than other New World species, but obviously not as bad as any of the Old Word species.

cold blood

Staff member
They may not be the size you want, but rosehairs almost never kick hairs...in 14 years with one I have seen it kick once....the day I got it when it was being mis-handled. Much of the genus is reluctant to flick. Now ow isn't the way to go with kids around....would you rather the kid itch for a bit, or be nailed by one with medically significant venom that would almost certainly land a child in the ER? I'd take the hairs EVERY time....no brainer....plus, if you don't mess with them, and don't frequently open the enclosure, hairs are not something you are going to have to deal with. I'm shocked that you are worried about itchiness and not potent venom and extreme speed. Itching powder that's found in joke stores is made from urticating hairs, its just not that big of a deal unless you get a theraposa or are seriously into handling.

IMO you are overestimating hairs and greatly underestimating speed and venom potency.

Last edited: