Baking wet substrate. Plus sex my L.p.?

gobey

Arachnoknight
So my smaller L.p. is a somewhat slow feeding response. She's also very timid and shy. I tried giving her a super. She didn't even know it was there. It burrowed. I lost it. Never again.

BUT... Her brother has burrowed all the way o the plastic. I'm assuming she could too. They only have maybe 2-3" substrate. And they both just molted 2 weeks ago within days of each other. She (I'm assuming due to size difference) is about 4", her brother (also guessing) is 5"

So I knew they are in need of a redesign in enclosures with more substrate. So here's my excuse for this one to get it out of the way rather than wait until she's bigger and possibly meaner like the other one is. But all the plantation soil I have left over that's honestly like 6 weeks old. Is still soaking wet.

I have the oven at 350. How long do you usually bake for. Is that a good temp? I have a full sheet.
Should I rotate the substrae? Like mix the bottom to the top at some point?

Also here's my T. My phone wouldn't let me upload it to the sexing forum.
Thanks

Attachments

gobey

Arachnoknight
So far it just seems hot and wet now maybe after 20 or 30 min

gobey

Arachnoknight
Cool.... I'd like to get her out of that cup and back home ASAP. I feel bad for her having to wait. I just didn't expect this to still be so wet.

gobey

Arachnoknight
your LP looks like a girl to me :)
Yeah yay! I'm not so great with ventral sexing. Even with reading so many T books. And she chewed up her molt pretty good. I know it's not 100% but I figured she's a girl by body shape so far. But especially growth rate. She's a good inch smaller than her sac mate right now. In fact for an L.p. she didn't seem to grow much with the last molt at all.

I'm ok with the other one being a boy. I'll give him to a lucky breeder one day or just give him hospis. And I'll have a nice big enclsure for my growing slings when he passes. I have a good mix of slow and fast growers.

Back to substrate I took it out after like 40 minutes. It's still super damp. But it's drying out on my porch. Worse comes to worse and it doesn't dry I'll just put her log on top of a higher mound of sub and throw in the rest of my bag of shpagnum moss. That'll get her to 3-4" to burrow.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The substrate doesn't have to be completely dry; this is a tropical forest species.

gobey

Arachnoknight
The substrate doesn't have to be completely dry; this is a tropical forest species.
I know they're not necessarily Rosea picky over substrate. But mine was like squeeze water out wet. I figured that was a bit much right? Plus I have a lot and I'd like it to be universally ready to use for all my Ts because I have like 15 now. :/

The new OBT is burrowing in this wet sub without me realizing too. Luckily they will tolerate anything. But that still doesn't make it ideal for them.either. I know these are hardy adaptable creatures. And T keepers probably over worry a lot. But I'd still rather be close to optimal as I can. I'm still learning a lot in my journey into this hobby. I have to cut myself off on buying anymore tarantulas too. I'm already in pretty far for where I'm at. I have enough to keep me on my toes and keep learning. :)

Thanks though! I'll house her when it cools then and mix it with the dry sub and maybe some moss.... I'll get her back in and all dandy!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I know they're not necessarily Rosea picky over substrate. But mine was like squeeze water out wet. I figured that was a bit much right? Plus I have a lot and I'd like it to be universally ready to use for all my Ts because I have like 15 now. :/

The new OBT is burrowing in this wet sub without me realizing too. Luckily they will tolerate anything. But that still doesn't make it ideal for them.either. I know these are hardy adaptable creatures. And T keepers probably over worry a lot. But I'd still rather be close to optimal as I can. I'm still learning a lot in my journey into this hobby. I have to cut myself off on buying anymore tarantulas too. I'm already in pretty far for where I'm at. I have enough to keep me on my toes and keep learning. :)

Thanks though! I'll house her when it cools then and mix it with the dry sub and maybe some moss.... I'll get her back in and all dandy!
haha obt isnt saying much oold joke when i first started thinking about a t [prob around '08-'09] was "an obt is the hardiest species, they could even live on a substrate of broken glass" lolsadly enough.. id kinda believe it XD iv seen obts kept as swampy tropical for 5+ yrs befor anyone said something. XD

as for the lp i keep mine on eco thats damp [tho mines like 2-2.25] it is a chill little T XD i think the eco will be fine let it dry naturally :p so long as its not swampy hell be ok. only thing id of done was pick out of bucket/tub a handfull at a time and squeezed it but not drained all the water :p

gobey

Arachnoknight
haha obt isnt saying much oold joke when i first started thinking about a t [prob around '08-'09] was "an obt is the hardiest species, they could even live on a substrate of broken glass" lolsadly enough.. id kinda believe it XD iv seen obts kept as swampy tropical for 5+ yrs befor anyone said something. XD

as for the lp i keep mine on eco thats damp [tho mines like 2-2.25] it is a chill little T XD i think the eco will be fine let it dry naturally :p so long as its not swampy hell be ok. only thing id of done was pick out of bucket/tub a handfull at a time and squeezed it but not drained all the water :p
Exactly what I did :)