Active G. rosea in hand not in tank

faiththebyrd

Arachnopeon
Hello all, I am new to owning a tarantula. I recently acquired a G. rosea. I have her in a critter keeper at the moment with Repti bark for substrate, half a coconut with an entrance hole for a hide, and a small water dish. When she's in her tank, she's a "pet rock" most of the time. She moves very little while in the tank and hasn't eaten since I got her.

When I handle her, however, she's super inquisitive and seems to enjoy crawling around my desk, my arms, chest, shoulders, etc. She'll stop to rest or groom occasionally, but then continues exploring. Her movements aren't panicked, but more like she's perusing the area. Has anyone encountered this? Should I provide something more entertaining in her tank?

I'd hate to think that she's bored out of her mind in her tank, or that she's freaking out while she's being handled. She really doesn't seem to be panicked while out of the tank, though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
First, change the substrate to something like coco fiber. Tarantulas don't 'get bored'. G. rosea's aren't exactly active tarantulas, if it isn't constantly moving in its tank, its usually pretty content. When you take it out of its tank it is exploring unfamiliar territory. They are pretty much blind so feel is how they get used to things.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
Just a warning, you're going to get a lot of replies telling you to not hold your tarantula. I just thought someone should tell you that... so you can brace yourself. :) I myself don't particularly care either way, although I do tend to think people are probably right when they say tarantulas get stressed from being held.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Being new to tarantulas, you should know a fall could kill your g. rosea. Even a small one. When you do handle her, keep her close to the ground/bed/whatever to avoid trajedy. Enjoy.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Get Stan Schultz' book - read it cover to cover - repeat this after finishing to catch the things you might have overread.

A few "facts":

* removing a T from it's enclosure causes most of them to "reset", having to adjust to their enclosure again
* a lot of tarantulas dislike the feeling of human skin and want nothing more than get off it
* tarantulas don't see really, they feel and smell with their "hairs" and are extremely sensitive to vibration or air movement of any kind

The above being said - what would you say now why she's "active" on your hand?

Also: NOT gonna start the handling debate.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Agreed about the substrate - change it to Eco Earth which is softer and more suited to a G rosea/porteri.

Also +1 with the previous comments that a sedentary rosea is a content rosea. They are not a particularly active species; in fact most tarantulas when settled are not all that active in general when compared to other animals.

Tarantulas do not have a complicated enough "brain" if you will to be able to be "bored." They exist on pure instinct that has evolved over time.

One thing - you mentioned a coconut for a hide. Is that one of those "hermit crab" coconuts? Is it large enough for her to get into comfortably? You may need to switch to a half log or other type of hide if she can't really get in there without squeezing and scraping her way in.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
enough has been said here but ill throw in a couple pennies XD

ofcourse sub needs changed. coco, dirt something soft thats not wood chips as they can hurt her in a fall or if you scare her and she bolts and impales herself [seen this a few times in person].. be sure the subs high enough so its only as long as her length from front leg to back leg on opposite side to avoid hurting if she climbs.also that its dry! they dont typically like wet! take out any rocks that make the cage look "pretty" if you have some. less chance of damage in a fall. maybe add a dif hide. i dont think those coconuts are big enough for any T under 3" personally. heck my scorpion has trouble getting in the biggest one i found and cut even. and its bigger then the ones i see at pet stores. maybe put a half log, a flower pot on its side of appropriate dimensions.

now all roseas and porteri are said to be pet rocks.. tho i have a fairly active one and semi active as well as a bump on a log lol. when i say semi active i dont mean running everywhere like 2yr old. i mean i can look ever at her on my days off and within 7-8 hrs i sill see her switch hides a few times, come out to drink or just soak up some rays ..but some times even mine who likes to climb around and have a good time still just sits there for hours on end. they are pet rocks. no exotic invert or reptile is going to be constantly on the move like you think.

now im not sure if they get bored, some peoples plays with pingpong balls, is that out of entertainment? boredom? is it just a "i want to move this light-weight rock over here" type of thing? we may never know. but shell addapt to the new environment in due time but shes fine no toys needed

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
now im not sure if they get bored, some peoples plays with pingpong balls, is that out of entertainment? boredom? is it just a "i want to move this light-weight rock over here" type of thing? we may never know. but shell addapt to the new environment in due time but shes fine no toys needed
My thought on the matter is it's just something they can move, so they do. I've had Ts pluck the decorative leaves off their hides, some for a reason, like my E.murinus who lined her burrow with them, and then others like my largest G.porteri that just left them on the sub, apparently she just pulled them off because why not.

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Here's my g. Rosea being bored. Most T's look bored all the time when really, they are plotting how to escape and take over the world.. Also trying to master the art of selfies. :)

Sorry for the upside down photo hehe

Attachments

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
My thought on the matter is it's just something they can move, so they do. I've had Ts pluck the decorative leaves off their hides, some for a reason, like my E.murinus who lined her burrow with them, and then others like my largest G.porteri that just left them on the sub, apparently she just pulled them off because why not.
very true. but we dont know why they do it. maybe with the porteri she didnt like the placement? maybe it annoyed her or made her feel like she cant see her surroundings *shrugs*

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello all, I am new to owning a tarantula. ...
WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

WELCOME TO THIS FORUM!

... I recently acquired a G. rosea. I have her in a critter keeper at the moment with Repti bark for substrate, half a coconut with an entrance hole for a hide, and a small water dish. When she's in her tank, she's a "pet rock" most of the time. She moves very little while in the tank and hasn't eaten since I got her.

When I handle her, however, she's super inquisitive and seems to enjoy crawling around my desk, my arms, chest, shoulders, etc. She'll stop to rest or groom occasionally, but then continues exploring. Her movements aren't panicked, but more like she's perusing the area. Has anyone encountered this? Should I provide something more entertaining in her tank?

I'd hate to think that she's bored out of her mind in her tank, or that she's freaking out while she's being handled. She really doesn't seem to be panicked while out of the tank, though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you read Care and Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula? If not, do so now.

Have you read the rest of the Spider's Calgary website? If not, do so now.

She may want something to do in her spare time. Wash and rinse a new ping pong ball to remove the manufacturing chemicals, then put it in the tarantula's cage. Yes, that's right. A ping pong ball!

Lastly, don't stress out over your rose. They'll thrive in a coffee can on a crumpled paper towel as long as they have access to a water dish and you throw in one (1), and only one (1), adult sized cricket a week!

Cheers,

Tarantulas think it's SSSOOOooo funny!

...watching you freak out like that!