My new T's

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Never thought i'd be so happy about a Tarantula, but the versicolor is insane! First time i've seen one in real life, and they're just the cutest spiders ever. Did squirt on me though..

And my elegans sling..didn't anticipate it would be this small lol.

And my Idiothele mira sling, doesn't look too good now, but cant wait for adult coloration.

I want some more Avic's now lol, i love the way they walk too.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They're "feeling" for obstacles, air movement, the like with that walking. Almost every arboreal walks that particular way IME. At least my Psalms and Poecies do it, too.

Good luck with those. Keep in mind the requirements for Avics, but don't overworry either. Just a tad bit more attention in terms of checking and adjusting if need be.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@Storm, my first Avic sling was on the bottom of the tank. I didn't want to (under)react so I took and poked about 200 holes on the sides of its enclosure for some more airflow....just in case. It cant hurt to do that lol.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Never thought i'd be so happy about a Tarantula, but the versicolor is insane! First time i've seen one in real life, and they're just the cutest spiders ever. Did squirt on me though..

And my Idiothele mira sling, doesn't look too good now, but cant wait for adult coloration.

Whatever enclosures you use for these make sure the holes are SUPER small just make a lot of them. I'd useva sewing needle or a thumb tac..remember these are babies so you can feed them 2-3 meal items a week. They need to eat a lot until adult hood

Crotalid

Arachnopeon

That's my avic enclosure at the moment, that cork bark is stood at an angle doesnt really look like it in that picture. But yeah, is that enough holes? the lid is also completely covered in holes. Should i just add more just in case?

The water is what i sprayed today by the way it's not actual condensation, it quickly dried out anyway, within an hour or so.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That's my avic enclosure at the moment, that cork bark is stood at an angle doesnt really look like it in that picture. But yeah, is that enough holes? the lid is also completely covered in holes. Should i just add more just in case?

The water is what i sprayed today by the way it's not actual condensation, it quickly dried out anyway, within an hour or so.

Good. You don't want moisture in an Avics cage like that for more than a few hours. Some people keep their Avics like that and lose them (at any size), probably from respiratory issues.

cold blood

Staff member
I would put a larger piece of bark in there, they tend to prefer to make their hide up near the top....Nice looking set up, very well done, indeed.

I find that a syringe works better for adding moisture than misting ever could. A syringe allows you to specifically place water droplets in the web or on the side without inundating the enclosure with temporary monsoon conditions. It also allows you to add that water without the need to open the lid and surprising the sling. I'd also put a water bottle cap in for a small water dish, this will help keep humidity, the droplets from the syringe will be for drinking opportunities. I got mine at 1/2" and they have always had a dish available. Great species, love my slings, great little eaters.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I also wet some shpagnum moss for moisture and for drinking for slings. :)

Works well so far.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I would put a larger piece of bark in there, they tend to prefer to make their hide up near the top....Nice looking set up, very well done, indeed.

I find that a syringe works better for adding moisture than misting ever could. A syringe allows you to specifically place water droplets in the web or on the side without inundating the enclosure with temporary monsoon conditions. It also allows you to add that water without the need to open the lid and surprising the sling. I'd also put a water bottle cap in for a small water dish, this will help keep humidity, the droplets from the syringe will be for drinking opportunities. I got mine at 1/2" and they have always had a dish available. Great species, love my slings, great little eaters.
My meat syringe is my best friend. most of my Ts are excitable so having a tool that puts water exactly where you want is vital. I keep my avics a little more on the dry side as my room stays pretty humid so I'm less lax on the water but that is just my area, people in hotter areas would have to adjust accordingly.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks for the tips everyone :), i've added a taller piece of bark now.

I tried feeding them all, none were interested, except the mira. I guess the others are still adjusting.

Oh, before i changed the bark with the avic, it was at the top webbing as someone said above. Does it matter that everytime i open the top it will destory it's webbing? well part of it at least.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Oh, before i changed the bark with the avic, it was at the top webbing as someone said above. Does it matter that everytime i open the top it will destory it's webbing? well part of it at least.
They eventually learn not to web there, besides an avic can web an entire enclosure in a day if it wanted to.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ok thanks for the tips everyone :), i've added a taller piece of bark now.
I tried feeding them all, none were interested, except the mira. I guess the others are still adjusting.

My mira slings have made silk tubes in the substrate with trap doors at one end. Yours should be working on theirs. Versicolors usually start spinning a silk sheet/tube near the top pretty quickly, I've had slings start spinning within minutes of being put in a new cage, but as they get older, it may take them a few days to start. I'm open to open my Avics lids without damaging the silk, although with some I don't lift the lid completely off. Looks like a good Avic set up, but I don't see a water bowl.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon

Congrats on getting your very first Poop Cannon. :)

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Congrats on getting your very first Poop Cannon. :)
Haha thanks, :).

My mira slings have made silk tubes in the substrate with trap doors at one end. Yours should be working on theirs. Versicolors usually start spinning a silk sheet/tube near the top pretty quickly, I've had slings start spinning within minutes of being put in a new cage, but as they get older, it may take them a few days to start. I'm open to open my Avics lids without damaging the silk, although with some I don't lift the lid completely off. Looks like a good Avic set up, but I don't see a water bowl.
Yeah, there wasn't one in there yesterday, but there is now. Had to go and buy something from the shop with a small enough cap on it.

My mira hasn't done anything yet..still sat with it's food.

The elegans, i tried feeding it a little fruit fly, and it kept running anyway from it lol. So i left in a chopped up mealie, and took a look last night and it was sat on top of it, presumably feeding. Is it ok to keep doing that? Not sure why it kept running away from the fruit fly though, if it was hungry.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your versi !!! I wish they grew up with that blue so pretty but their adult colors are lovely as well and the change is awesome to watch it's almost like getting a new t . I have one of my adult females in an enclosure that has a lid on top and a door on the side , every time I rehouse her she goes to work and seals them both up real tight . I feel bad because I have to destroy part of her web so I can feed and water . Although she does not fix it after I mess it up lol

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Congrats on your versi !!! I wish they grew up with that blue so pretty but their adult colors are lovely as well and the change is awesome to watch it's almost like getting a new t . I have one of my adult females in an enclosure that has a lid on top and a door on the side , every time I rehouse her she goes to work and seals them both up real tight . I feel bad because I have to destroy part of her web so I can feed and water . Although she does not fix it after I mess it up lol
Thanks :) I know, the blue colour they have as slings is my favourite colour too :( They do look cool as adults, but i do prefer them as youngsters!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks :) I know, the blue colour they have as slings is my favourite colour too :( They do look cool as adults, but i do prefer them as youngsters!
Fortunately they grow so slow that you can enjoy the color for a long time. I've had mine for 15 months and it might start getting adult color next molt, whenever that is.