New owner asian forest

Gambit

Arachnopeon
I was just given an Asian forest scorpion from a co-worker. I've never had a scorpion before but it was either take it or he was going to throw it out in a wooded area somewhere. I'm sure it came from a petco or petsmart. I don't know how old it is, which sex or if it's even the said species.

It came in a super small critter keeper I've since put it in a ten gallon aquarium. I've got about 2 and a half inches of coco fiber in there with a hide, water dish, some sphagnum moss and was given a heat lamp. He also gave me a weird climbing thing I've seen in lizard cages that's pretty heavy so I didn't put it in just in case it would fall. I've been able to keep humidity at 70-85% and the temp steady around 75f.

In the 10 days I've had it, it's eaten one cricket and one superworm, is it normal to eat so little? Am I missing or lacking anything? Here it is, sorry if the pics are too big or anything else it's been awhile since I've been on message boards lol.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

It is a Heterometrus species (Asian Forest scorpions), most likely H.spinifer, H.laoticus or H.petersii

Being male might solve your feeding question, they don't eat as much as females as they'll be out and about searching for females!
Great thread here by GS on a different forum for sexing: http://www.allscorpionarchives.com/t39-sexing-pandinus-spp-and-heterometrus-spp

Also 75F (23C) is an OK temperature, but you'll get increased activity/eating at higher ones! (up to 30 Celsius )

Also in my opinion (some may disagree) a heat mat is better than a lamp, you can reduce ventilation thus increasing temp/humidity in the box/tank
It will also be less irritating to the scorpion! No chance of any activity until the light is turned off

If you have more questions post them here and we can answer!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
looks liek an H. longimantus to me. not a spinifer.

not sure on the males not eating thing tho mine is fm rest are slowly growing 3rd instar.

im glad hes out of the KK and into some actual sub. a 10g seems huge for one but my girl utalizes it quite a bit.. id say go buy 1 more brick of coco personally. as she will use it all and 2inch aint much. also for eating the specimen was most likely caught in the field. my girl was also wild caught and she eats so little i worry about her compared to my T's and snakes lol... temps alright as said. id personally bump it up a little for more activity. if you have a didgital thermostat a heat pad would work i wouldnt recomend it without a stat as iv had the "2.5 gallon hermit crab uth" hit a hot spot of 120ish Fahrenheit OUCH! that could cook a scorp who dug all the way down..or even a ceramic heat emmiter to bring up the temp and the CHE wont dry out the sub.

also if your using a dial hydrometer. toss it now. invest in a digital. after a wiel the stat and will read 90 plus when its bone dry ;P i have one iv taken apart. and i kept it in a box without humidity or air flow [air tight too] and the meter always bounced for no reason. very unreliable.

Gambit

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been going back and forth between a heat mat and a CHE. I've got plenty of substrate as I bought a big bag of coco fiber. I haven't added any because I've been looking at doing the false bottom set up.

Trying to gather info between using gravel, aquarium rock or hydoballs. Some people say to put a screen between these and the substrate, is this necessary?