Ready.. Set...SHOOT!

kittiekins

Arachnopeon
What was this all about?!
So I got my very first tarantula from, get this, A FAIR GAME!!!! I went home with an Antilles versicolor tarantula for 1$. So not knowing a whole bunch on this breed I did my research and its been a few months, 3 molts and a LOT of Dubai roaches later and she goes and does this weird thing on me. She's never done this before.

So I went to go clean her cage and I take her out and she runs around really fast, but then she got to my hand shot out a little bit of what looked like webbing and JUMPED AT MY BROTHER! Thankfully she landed on my other arm but what did she shoot out and why?! I know their can jump rather far and rather high but I've never seen her shoot web out like that before. Was it supposed to be a defense mechanism? Was it really webbing she shot out? Why the sudden leap of faith/suicide attempted?

I am very much in love with her though. (Pre jump shot! Thanks to my very scared brother)

uploadfromtaptalk1410923245889.jpg

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm going to assume what shot out of her was probably poop. Avics are famous for it. As for why she made her 'mad dash' your guess is as good as any. Perhaps she was startled, or just felt like it.

kittiekins

Arachnopeon
Haha that's amazing!!! Probably the best thing I've heard all day. Good thing it was aimed at my brother and not me! I just figured she's a baby and babies like to run. I've just never had her try to jump off me.

kittiekins

Arachnopeon
You got your versicolor at a fair? I want to go to this fair!!! Beautiful versicolor BTW.
It was at the reptile expo, on the last day a stand had a bunch of simple fair games set up. It was a dollar to play. I tried for candy, got a spider. Equally happy. Haha maybe even more. And thank you, I'm actually not sure if Frodo is a boy or girl though. Sexing them confuses me so much.

gobey

Arachnoknight
It pooped on him. My Avic. (Not a versi) Will not bite. But he will poo or jump at any disturbance or handling. And before he made his web home, which took him 3 and a half months to settle in to his enclosure and do. I'm assuming because it's a wild caught petsmart Avic, he'd be real restless sometimes. And those would be the Times where if you opened the lid... You had to play catch the tarantula.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish I could win a versi for a dollar. :( And take a picture of it's vents, I'll sex him/her for you. Avicularia are very easy to sex , since the female's lips are so big lol.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
is that the enclosure in the bottom left corner? hard to tell from the blurry pic, but it looks kinda wet in there.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wait fuzzy, if my avic avic (3") doesn't have very obvious lips it's a male? Will they be a different shade than the surrounding area?

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish I could win a versi for a dollar. :( And take a picture of it's vents, I'll sex him/her for you. Avicularia are very easy to sex , since the female's lips are so big lol.

Ummm, nobody else?

Really?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What was this all about?!
So I got my very first tarantula from, get this, A FAIR GAME!!!! I went home with an Antilles versicolor tarantula for 1$. So not knowing a whole bunch on this breed

Why the sudden leap of faith/suicide attempted?
Tarantulas don't exist as breeds in case you didn't know. They are each individual species. A species is not a breed. Dogs are all the same species, but have many different breeds.

In case you aren't aware, your T expects to be in the wild, where a jump will likely result in a fast get away. It doesn't expect to do a flying leap into nothing as you suggested.

kittiekins

Arachnopeon
is that the enclosure in the bottom left corner? hard to tell from the blurry pic, but it looks kinda wet in there.
Yes, it's his/her baby enclosure, not wet. Just a lot of dirt stuck in his/her web.:geek:

---------- Post added 09-20-2014 at 09:08 AM ----------

Tarantulas don't exist as breeds in case you didn't know. They are each individual species. A species is not a breed. Dogs are all the same species, but have many different breeds.

In case you aren't aware, your T expects to be in the wild, where a jump will likely result in a fast get away. It doesn't expect to do a flying leap into nothing as you suggested.
Note taken. It's different for me cause I work at a vet clinic so saying breed comes naturally. After all I am working with cats and dogs all day long. All I was saying was he/she has never jumped off me before. I understand it's an escape. Just why now? When there was no sudden movement or anything around really.