Brachys vs eupalaestrus: which is better

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
As a rookie with no experience in tarantulas, which species is better for the beginner/arachnophobe?
Any one of the brachys, campestratus, or are there better tarantulas that i may not know
about.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
The best hands down are Euathulus sp Red, and Euathulus sp Yellow
+1 to Euathlus sp. "red" -- I have two adults and two slings. The slings are adorable but oh so tiny. My adults are always ready to come see what I'm doing when I open the cage for feeding or maintenance. If handling is something you're interested, they practically crawl up and onto your hand on their own accord. I'm not saying they are affectionate and enjoy it, they're more so very inquisitive and ready to explore. I've never seen one act defensive, and I've never heard of one biting. Rare to flick hairs as well.

Only problem- a very small problem- is that they are dwarves. So they will not get bigger than 4" and they grow agonizingly slow.

gobey

Arachnoknight
+1 to Euathlus sp. "red" -- I have two adults and two slings. The slings are adorable but oh so tiny. My adults are always ready to come see what I'm doing when I open the cage for feeding or maintenance. If handling is something you're interested, they practically crawl up and onto your hand on their own accord. I'm not saying they are affectionate and enjoy it, they're more so very inquisitive and ready to explore. I've never seen one act defensive, and I've never heard of one biting. Rare to flick hairs as well.

Only problem- a very small problem- is that they are dwarves. So they will not get bigger than 4" and they grow agonizingly slow.
Is that really a problem? My smallest L.p. is 4", and she's a darn tarantula sized looking spider. Now those guys grow much quicker, and double in size from that. And she's shy, and usually super skittish and afraid of me. She got real mad recently when I rehoused her And left her in the catch cup for a bit while the substrate settled to be put in. The bigger one will bite and kick hairs.

But for an arachnophobe, a tarantula that's the opposite is better correct? One that is super docile, isn't skittish all the time, is handlable, doesn't get too large to handle, or grow very big at all very quick so you are never surprised by an inch bigger T after a molt that needs a new house all of a sudden with a temper tantrum.

And by the time you're done. You have a wonderful, curious, decent enough size spider that will have totally helped you ish aside some of your fears and hopefully interest you in keeping more. Or maybe you just need that 1! :)

Anyways that's what I have gathered from that species. I have not owned one however. It is cheap as a sling, indeed very small with years to grow before tarantula sized. Maybe look into an adult if you're not straooed on cash and don't care about raising the animal.

I have a mix of slings and adults. Buy I stared with spiders Although 3-5" to make interesting display pets. Then moved to slings. But again an arachnophobe may benefit from raising a baby tarantula into an adult small sized tarantula lol.

I can't recommend anything really long term. Haven't had anything long enough. I have 2 great Brachypelma albopilosum slings though. Mini tarantulas at only 1/2". And they grew to 3/4 inch last molt. They pounce hard on baby crickets.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Is that really a problem? My smallest L.p. is 4", and she's a darn tarantula sized looking spider.
Well, the fact that they grow agonizingly slow is a 'problem' just because it takes such a long time to go from teensy little sling to mature adult. As for their overall size being small, it's not really a problem. In fact, there are advantages to it. Small enclosures take up less space after all! But if you're looking to end up with an impressively sized tarantula when all is said and done, the dwarf-size can be a turn off. I think their personalities well make up for it, that being said.

If you buy a Euathlus sp. "red" sling, you just need to be prepared to wait a long time for it to show adult colors and look like more than just a tarantula that lost it's 'clothes' and tangled with a shrink-ray.

Ahaha, I have also noticed that my Euathlus sp. "red" slings are more apt to run away from their meals. I offer pre-killed now, head crushed and legs removed since crickets tend to keep squirming even after a severe head trauma.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yeah my post was long long long. I tend to do that here. I love to talk tarantulas! But yeah I went over the con of growth rate for that species Not just being slow, but being exceptionally slow for a tarantula correct? Again I have never owned one. I suggested buying adult or juvenile Ts for a first T. Start at 2 or 3" Or full blown grown up.

How long does a E.sp red take to mature from sling anyways?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah my post was long long long. I tend to do that here. I love to talk tarantulas! But yeah I went over the con of growth rate for that species Not just being slow, but being exceptionally slow for a tarantula correct? Again I have never owned one. I suggested buying adult or juvenile Ts for a first T. Start at 2 or 3" Or full blown grown up.

How long does a E.sp red take to mature from sling anyways?
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...p.-quot-red-quot-quot-fire-quot-MM-in-3-years

My MM took 3 years to mature. The (suspect) females are still growing. Also, 4" is a bit much - afaik they maxed out around 3"-3.5" at the most. The MM is just a bit over 2" only.

gobey

Arachnoknight
2"! So tiny! 2 years is pretty fast though no? For a T at least. I heard a LOT longer for females though?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
2"! So tiny! 2 years is pretty fast though no? For a T at least. I heard a LOT longer for females though?
Oh yeah. My two Euathlus sp.red slings have been with me for a year now and one is actually the same size as my A.eutylenum EWLs, and has molted all of once. The other is twice that size (this is it's third molt in my care) but still about the same size I bought it at. They're ridiculous; when I recommend them to new owners I usually qualify it with "but get a sub/adult female".

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I have most of the Brachys (emilia, smithi, vagans, and albopilosum), and I love them all. They, like the Grammastolas, grow slowly, but are still great for the beginner to start with. My personal recommendation for your first would be a G. pulchra. Very active, very docile, aggressive eater, and will grow into a 5-6 inch solid black T.

I've seen so many people rave about the Euathlus sp., I may have to look into getting one myself. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have 3 E. Red/Yellows. The likely male I have has not grown slowly. It went from TINY to 1"-1.5" DLS in 6 months.

I think this species ROCKS!! Wish someone would classify them to determine if Red and Yellow are the same species, locality differences etc etc. Or simply naturally occurring color morph mutations.

Someone's video of an adult http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eynusLViSw

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 09:12 AM ----------

+1 to Euathlus sp. "red" -- I have two adults and two slings.

Have you posted any pics of your E sp Red adults? I'd like to see them compared to my own E sp Red's color.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...p.-quot-red-quot-quot-fire-quot-MM-in-3-years

My MM took 3 years to mature. The (suspect) females are still growing. Also, 4" is a bit much - afaik they maxed out around 3"-3.5" at the most. The MM is just a bit over 2" only.
You're right. I was rounding up, but that isn't very fair in a dwarf species. Half an inch to an A. geniculata is nothing- but half an inch to a Euathlus sp. "red" is a lot. My lady is a little over 3" but I don't have any official measurements. I'll say between 3"-3.5" My male is probably only a little smaller surprisingly. He's got an impressive leg span.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 12:57 PM ----------

Have you posted any pics of your E sp Red adults? I'd like to see them compared to my own E sp Red's color.
Oh, I have some pictures. But they aren't the most impressive specimens. I love them to death, but both are a bit rugged. They have bald spots and each look to have dropped a leg previously. I purchased them this way a little over a month ago. I've been told my lady is in very early pre-molt, so when she finally takes her sweet time and sheds her skin I'm hoping her leg will look more sturdy and she'll get her hair back.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the pics. Both of my E sp Red are rust colored, like yours, not a cherry red like I have seen in some photos (granted who knows what real color w/digital), but my sp Yellow is also similar in color. I wonder how much variation in the E sp Red there is, as so many I have seen lately, are not really cherry red. They are more like ours, this GBB burnt orange.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
any of the brachy's or eupalestrus is fine for a beginner. read up on the different species individual characteristics and behaviours (keeping in mind the T's regard those descriptions as mere suggestions from which they may deviate whenever they wish) and their appearances and pick the one that appeals to you the most and comes closest to meeting your wants and preferences. there's a ton of good beginner T's to choose from, so it's really a matter of deciding what you personally find most appealing, since everyone has different tastes.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the pics. Both of my E sp Red are rust colored, like yours, not a cherry red like I have seen in some photos (granted who knows what real color w/digital), but my sp Yellow is also similar in color. I wonder how much variation in the E sp Red there is, as so many I have seen lately, are not really cherry red. They are more like ours, this GBB burnt orange.
That is interesting. And it's true, digital photos can be misleading though I do say mine are definitely the burnt orange in real life. But, different cameras with a different setting might produce a brighter red. Or a variation of bulb. All sorts of variables to sort through. And then, there's nothing to say that some species aren't more red than others. Especially after a fresh molt.

I've noticed the same with my B. emilia though. In a lot of photos, the species looks bright red whereas my own specimen is the same burnt orange. When s/he molts for me, I'm interested to see if it's a more vivid red that fades into the burnt orange s/he has currently.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gonna throw this at you, too: Stuart Longhorn and me had a long email-discussion last year about these, in which he stated that these are most likely not even "Euathlus" at all. Instead, they're seemingly "true" Homoeomma spp. - I keep mine labled as they are, but just for those keeping them to keep this in the back of their memory. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reclassification for these at some point in the future - frankly, I'm looking forward to it.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
To all who recommended the euathulus sp red and sp yellow, i am considering both very heavily after a little bit more research.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
To all who recommended the euathulus sp red and sp yellow, i am considering both very heavily after a little bit more research.
Well, after talking about it in my earlier post, I went ahead & ordered a 1/4" Euathlus sp. red from Tarantula Canada. :) And here I thought my T buying was over until spring. Silly me! LOL

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gonna throw this at you, too: Stuart Longhorn and me had a long email-discussion last year about these, in which he stated that these are most likely not even "Euathlus" at all. Instead, they're seemingly "true" Homoeomma spp. - it.
In my research on them a guy on the board here told me that last year. When I was digging for specific geographic locations on the species. The guy doesn't post much- so I don t remember his name here, or the thread.

Euathulus is just a place holder for unknown species. I think B smithi had this name at one point, I know other established species in the wild have had this place holder.