Paraphysa parvula? Euathlus truculentus? Gold Burst?

gobey

Arachnoknight
Ok so my buddy got some new Ts for the pet shop. Our other slings are either too small too sell, and a lot are old world tarantulas, the only ones that aren't are B. albos and they're semi slow growers and are still under an inch. Not quite what a pet store customer is usually looking for. Plus the slings are mostly mine.... I have the option to sell.... But I'm not sure I want to until the Ts are bigger and I've had them. Then maybe I'll trade a couple of those curly hairs.

Anyways my buddy's train of thought was different than mine. We got in 2 L.p. slings, each maybe just over an inch. Not quite an inch and a quarter. They're cool because I got my 2 L.p.s at 3.5" And 4". They're now 4" and 5". :) S slings are beat to see.

But coming round now to t y e topic title. He told me he got one bugger tarantula. That actually needed a larger enclosure. A "good burst".

A what??? I said..... Now I'm no expert. I'm just a guy who now sends all his free time reading about tarantulas. Until it's time to work, work out, or check on the tarantulas lol. But I've never heard of a gold burst.

I know there are lots of "starburst" baboons and the like. But I couldn't imagine he'd buy that. And it couldn't be an OBT because he knows what that is.

Well he leads me to this little metallic gold T. Like it looked spray painted. It had a little red abdomen. Maybe 2.5"

This thing was the cutesy tarantula I've ever seen. Maybe I've not seen many in person, but even through picture and video. So I ask "how's it behave?" To which he showed me. By sticking his hand right in there. And the spider just walked right up onto it.

Now I decided my Ts aren't for handling. I don't trust any of them not to bite or flick hairs. Except my avic. But he'll him or shoot poo. So yeah. Handling got old quick. Real quick.

This little tarantula though.... OMG it makes me want to break my times every time I'm in there. He tickles on your skin! And it's SUCH a pretty color.

So I of course have to add it to my wishlist. Or arrange a trade lol. But what T is this!?!?!? So I can add it to my wishlist because I really shouldn't get any more as much as I want that guy. And I know I can find a better deal probably asking here than his distributor.

Idk the spider is $35 about I think for let's say 2" to be safe. Pet store price. You don't want to know what the L.Ps cost lol.

But I need a scientific name. I can't determine if he's either of these. I'll try to get a picture. Are those the same spider though? Euathlus truculentus and Paraphysa parvula? Like how P. muticus was whatever is was. I'm not even going to attempt to spell that. crawshei? I attempted lol

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I know it's early, but you're asking us to identify a tarantula you are barely describing. Like Storm said, pics please. Gold Burst does seem to be the common name for Paraphysa parvula though.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I know it's early, but you're asking us to identify a tarantula you are barely describing. Like Storm said, pics please. Gold Burst does seem to be the common name for Paraphysa parvula though.
I apologize it's back at the shop at the moment.

I have to stop getting excited and making such long posts. I think you've answered my question however. It was called and sold 'gold burst'

Again it's fairly small, a metallic gold bodied terrestrial T with a red rump.

I'd just never heard of it in any of my books, or on these boards. And when I looked up the scientific name for it, I got no real clear answer between those 2 species names.

I apologize I wasn't too clear and to the point. I just get so excited t talk tarantulas with you guys. :biggrin:

Ayways can anybody tell me anything about gold burst tarantulas? This one is quite little and super curious after being maybe slightly skittish if it didn't see you.

I'll be in the shop if not today then tomorrow, I'm pretty busy today. I'll revive the thread with a picture of the little fella.

It's pretty positive a gold burst though. Looks just like this one.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3036/3009780547_cd7825798c.jpg

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'd just never heard of it in any of my books, or on these boards. And when I looked up the scientific name for it, I got no real clear answer between those 2 species names.
This probably has to do with the fact that they aren't very popular. They tend to fall into that "boring" category for some people. I've been offered one a time or two and looked into how to keep them (same as the other terrestrial Chileans btw), but they didn't really spark my interest--and I'm not usually one to pass up a cheap spider with a boring label (I love my P.cancerides, B.albopilosum and L.parahybana to pieces). I will say their hair tufts are very interesting though.
Paraphysa also underwent a revision lately, and I believe parvula is now classified as a Euathlus.

cold blood

Staff member
I really like the look of P. parvula...if I could find one, I'd snatch it up for sure....really pretty t...only gets to a max of like 4" I believe.

gobey

Arachnoknight
This probably has to do with the fact that they aren't very popular. They tend to fall into that "boring" category for some people. I've been offered one a time or two and looked into how to keep them (same as the other terrestrial Chileans btw), but they didn't really spark my interest--and I'm not usually one to pass up a cheap spider with a boring label (I love my P.cancerides, B.albopilosum and L.parahybana to pieces). I will say their hair tufts are very interesting though.
Paraphysa also underwent a revision lately, and I believe parvula is now classified as a Euathlus.
Ah ok cool that clears it up. Man boring??? I guess maybe in it's tank it's not gonna move much. Pet rock. But honestly most of my tarantulas are pet rocks more often than not. The slings move the most.

I think I'd rather have had this little guy first than my Porteri. He seems much more docile and curious. And not to mention absolutely adorable with beautiful colors. He did say keep it like a rose hair.

Too bad I'm so stocked up on Ts. And this one is his purchase for the store and he needs to sell it at profit price. I'd rather find one at arachnoboards price! ;)

But yeah either way this little guy stole my heart. I just wanted to know what to ask for if I'm looking for one. Are these normally cheap then?

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 11:43 AM ----------

I really like the look of P. parvula...if I could find one, I'd snatch it up for sure....really pretty t...only gets to a max of like 4" I believe.
Yeah is it rare in the hobby? This little guy is about 2" I wanna say. Maybe a bit more. Such a beautiful metallic sheen to the gold carapace. And then a fuzzy red bum. I just am so loaded on Ts. But I mean technically last week I did have one more than I do now. What better way to get over losing a 1/4" B. Albo than with a 2" gold burst!?

It wouldn't take up much space lol.

Oh man this hobby. How do you guys contain yourselves? I have to develop restraint somewhere. I'm feeling like an animal hoarder lol.

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Too bad I'm so stocked up on Ts. And this one is his purchase for the store and he needs to sell it at profit price. I'd rather find one at arachnoboards price! ;)

But yeah either way this little guy stole my heart. I just wanted to know what to ask for if I'm looking for one. Are these normally cheap then?
Well they're small so I'd encourage you to get her before someone else snatches her up, but you set your pace, this is just my opinion. I've seen them go between $40-$60 for an adult female--and that's retail. Bioquip actually has one for sale right now for that lowest price, Jamie tends to have them in stock in that range (she has scrofa right now but no parvula) and Ken has both species (although not sexed) so yeah...not a little bit rare.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Well they're small so I'd encourage you to get her before someone else snatches her up, but you set your pace, this is just my opinion. I've seen them go between $40-$60 for an adult female--and that's retail. Bioquip actually has one for sale right now for that lowest price, Jamie tends to have them in stock in that range (she has scrofa right now but no parvula) and Ken has both species (although not sexed) so yeah...not a little bit rare.
See she's being sold at $35 for her size though. Let's call her 2.5" max. Pet store price. But factor in shipping of Jamie or Ken and what am I paying for them too. And this T is also unsexed.

It's tempting though just as it's a really awesome pretty little T that would take up very little space at that size. And I have lots of substrate waiting to be used lol.

This is why I go to you guys lol

I'll do some more research. But I feel like that might be my spider soon. I can't believe he got something I've never heard of. And not another Rose hair or two to stock. I guess he was serious when he said he'd like tarantulas to come back to the reptile section in a better way.

Oh man, I just looked. Ken has one at 3" for $60!!!!!

And this is how tarantula purchases are justified. This one is an inch shorter, but cheaper by size compared to KTBG, plus no shipping, is never for sale in stores, and is not usually seen on the classifieds lol.

I swear he bought this knowing I'd be the one to bring it home.

We'll see. I just dropped $325 on fitness equipment for my company. So maybe I'll convince myself to save $. Or I'll convince myself what's another $40 on top of that?
:sarcasm:

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Hmmm, net-bug is where I have seen them...I like perusing there because they have great variety and some of the best pics I come across...the pic they have of this t is absolutely stunning. They are not too expensive, but your price is right in the ballpark, sans shipping.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Hmmm, net-bug is where I have seen them...I like perusing there because they have great variety and some of the best pics I come across...the pic they have of this t is absolutely stunning. They are not too expensive, but your price is right in the ballpark, sans shipping.
Oooh.... That doesn't make this easier. :/

I'm going to attempt to trade for it I think. Perhaps I can acquire this T while also downsizing my collection closer to 13 than 15. Make a little room. I think I'd rather have this little fellow in my porteri's enclosure. And my porteri is less interesting visually than this tarantula, although twice as big.

My porteri also bites a lot. :/
Idk. I think I could trade her for a prettier T that's rare and rightly priced. See if I can discount a bit.
I'll have to think about that too though.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 11:45 PM ----------

Ok so united I read that wrong, this is actually a Euthlus parvulus?

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Your T is Paraphysa parvula and you should care for it exactly the same a G rosea. Water dish, hide and dry substrate. A plastic shoebox size enclosure is big enough for an adult of this species because they are kind of a small T at about 4"

And if it winds up being a male you should send him my way when he hooks out for a breeding loan :D

gobey

Arachnoknight
Your T is Paraphysa parvula and you should care for it exactly the same a G rosea. Water dish, hide and dry substrate. A plastic shoebox size enclosure is big enough for an adult of this species because they are kind of a small T at about 4"

And if it winds up being a male you should send him my way when he hooks out for a breeding loan :D
You would have one! How are they? Just like other pet rock Ts? I didn't get it yet. But it's sure tempting. :)

Speaking of breeding loans. I know an OBT who's about to get lucky ;)

skippydude

Arachnobaron
They can be a bit of a pet rock, very docile and usually out in the open. Had mine a month or two now and she has laid down quite a bit of webbing. I love the color and patterns on this tarantula IMO a great NW addition to any collection.

Best of luck with the OBT pairing, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what gentle lovers they are. They treat their mates way better than they treat their owners

gobey

Arachnoknight
Guys I bought her!!!!!

I didn't trade any Ts in. Now I have 16. And I'd regret it if she wasn't so freaking pretty and so docile! She's very curious and very calm so far. Only slightly skittish. More apt to just check out what you're up to and crawl right on your hand to chill. So far at least. I'm not used to handling a T so much. In fact I've now handled her in 2 days as much as my Rose hair and Avic in 3 months. And trust me we don't touch the rose hair anymore lol.

Anyways I'm super glad I got her. Hopefully it's a her. She was probably overpriced but was still cheaper than any online vendors and no shipping at her size. Plus I got to see the T beforehand and see it's temperament.

If it's male. I'll be contacting you the minute it hooks out Skippy because the world needs more gold bursts!

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
The species just jumped to the top end of my wish list...beautiful...love the carapace! And that rump!

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
All I can say is based on the description, it is assuredly not E truculentus. I'd post a picture of mine, but I'm not at home to take one.

Edit: just saw the picture and the second page. My post is irrelevant. Move along!