Tips for Breeding Orthochirus innessi

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Got a pair of Orthochirus innessi recently, so now that they've settled in, what recommendations do people have for breeding them? Being a desert species, should I expose them to a change in temp/humidity or is that something I should do later on (perhaps once the female is gravid)? I know that the gestation period on these is pretty long, so it might be a while before I see anything. I've made sure to give them plenty of things to hide/burrow under, along with making sure that there are a variety of different textured surfaces for the male to (hopefully!) place a spermetheca on. Feeding is one small lateralis every two weeks.

Thanks for any tips!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

http://bultel.p.free.fr/En/Orthochirus sp.htm
that guy is/was a pretty experienced keeper, some useful advice there

the info i noticed the most which is relevant is perhaps the short lifespan of the adults? Is this the case?

Need to breed them asap! small broods too IIRC?

put em together and put the CD on too!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good info! Thanks for posting it. That's interesting, I didn't realize the adult lifespan was short. I had assumed that since it takes so long for them to reach adulthood that they could live for several years as adults (especially since the females are probably gravid for a long period of time). I've kept them together since they came in, so now I guess it's just time to sit back and wait! I haven't found any spermathecae yet, but considering how small it would be I'm not very discouraged. I keep them nice and warm during the day (~90 F = 32 C) and then let them get down to room temp during the night (75 F = 24 C). Room temp will be a bit colder during the winter though, so hopefully that mimics their natural environment enough.

Any thoughts on boosting moisture to encourage breeding, or should that be saved for when the female is about give birth?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not seeing the sperm package is annoying! I have the same problems in lots of my communal pairs
Either they are eating it or... NOT BREEDING!

I'll PM you the email of someone who has kept Orthochirus and had babies!