What happens to the molt

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I know that tarantulas ruin their molted skin, making it hard to sex them (or eat it if not removed).
But what does everybody do with the good skin that has not been ruined? Preserve them or throw them out

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
the first good-sized molt i got off my B. albo, i pinned it, put it in a shadow box, and gave to my mom as a Mother's Day present. she was not very amused.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
the first good-sized molt i got off my B. albo, i pinned it, put it in a shadow box, and gave to my mom as a Mother's Day present. she was not very amused.
LOL I did something similar with a G. rosea molt when I was in high school, must be a maryland thing :p

Neoza

Arachnobaron
image.jpg I put them in water with soap (to make it flexible) and carefully pin it on mush, i use a needle to lay the skin of the abdomen good and fill it with wool. I glue it together and let it dry. When its dry i glue it on a paper and put it in a box made if glass. I hang them up in my bedroom! Really nice to have! When you stand 30 cm away from it its like a real T is hanging there. Its also really cool to see the evolutions next to eachother!!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I keep them in a bin. Or at least the ones I didn't destroy sexing or that were so small they floated away (which totally happens...I find sling molts in the strangest places).

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They don't eat the molts. There is a fair amount of fluid associated with molting and they suck the fluid out of the molt to help rehydrate themselves.

Some of my obligate burrowers, I never see an exuvium unless they pitch out pieces and parts months down the road during housecleaning. Some just incorporate the molts into their burrows.

The top of one of the scorpion tanks has become a catchall for tarantula exuviae.

This little 5" cube filled up ages ago... They're sort of packed in there. As they disintegrate and 'melt' down, there is sometimes room for a few more. :)

Some of the nicer molts used to go in this cast off tea container until it filled up.

And I've got about 40 microscope slides currently living on my desk with ventral abdominal parts on them.
I also throw many away.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 06:19 PM ----------

I find sling molts in the strangest places).
LOL This is so true!