A wild cricket made it's way into T enclosure and T unfortunately ate it. Will it be okay?

Mcskillz

Arachnopeon
I kid you not. So I found out tonight that my Tarantula was doing the happy dance and I realized a cricket had somehow made its way into the enclosure as I had it open and was cleaning it. I get crickets occasionally in my house.

My question is, will my Tarantula be okay? I know she shouldn't eat anything that is wild and I don't want Athena to die because of that one cricket.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
anythings possible. however i woudlnt get too down os of yet. i used to get a cricket problem. and my geckos took care of them. [lids stay open sense they dont climb] so long as you or your neighbors arnt using pestisides id say you should have a good chance at it being fine. but may want to watch what you do next time.

tweakz

Arachnosquire
The reason we don't feed WC prey to our T's is obviously the threat of pesticides they may have encountered. But, understand that this is mostly just a precautionary policy and that the unfortunate WC meal is most likely not going to be a problem, even if it was there would be nothing you could do so worrying would be unnecessary. Don't be worried your T is going to be just fine, just think of it like he ate his occasional meal from McDonald's.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Ok to be clear, the reason we caution against using wild caught isn't just because of possible exposure to pesticides. There is also the issue of parasites, which may not be readily obvious on the food item and could take quite some time to become apparent in your T if it becomes infected. I'm not trying to scare the OP but I'm concerned people will see some of these responses and take away from it "It's ok to feed WC food sometimes".

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Ok to be clear, the reason we caution against using wild caught isn't just because of possible exposure to pesticides. There is also the issue of parasites, which may not be readily obvious on the food item and could take quite some time to become apparent in your T if it becomes infected. I'm not trying to scare the OP but I'm concerned people will see some of these responses and take away from it "It's ok to feed WC food sometimes".
I totally forgot to mention parasites you are absolutely right but my point was that this is most likely nothing to worry about as long as it doesn't happen often. And at the end of the day there is nothing you can do about it so worrying is just unnecessary.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 02:34 AM ----------

Also I've never seen you post this late belle lol why are you up?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I totally forgot to mention parasites you are absolutely right but my point was that this is most likely nothing to worry about as long as it doesn't happen often. And at the end of the day there is nothing you can do about it so worrying is just unnecessary.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 02:34 AM ----------

Also I've never seen you post this late belle lol why are you up?
Absolutely worrying is moot. But lurkers and new people read through our old threads all the time--I just want to make sure we're being clear about the risks.
------------------
I'm working graveyard hours at the moment, so until that stops (hopefully soon) I'll be crabbing up late nights. :D

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Admirable aspirations! And seeing as I'm one of the few late-nighters on here, damn college lifestyle, any patrons are welcome!