Mason jar + screen lid for arboreal slings

CBickert

Arachnopeon
Quick question, I did a quick search for my subject but didn't find a definitive answer.
I have a few arboreal slings that will need to be rehoused into a more appropriate enclosure. Mason jars that are the tall widemouth are about $1.50 a piece and seem like a good cheap enclosure. The only problem I see is creating ventilation. I either have the choice to nail holes in the metal lid, or secure a piece of cut screen on the screw top. To me the screen seems like the easier and better option, BUT will the slings be able to "chew" through it and escape? I planned on just getting the door screen from Home Depot, will it work? Any other things I am missing as to why this idea wouldn't work? Thanks.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
personally i think this is an all around no. most people will say arboreals' need cross ventilation. theres more suitable "jars".. you should never take the cheapest rout... a simple run to the local craft store and you can find. i just got some from amazon that are 4x4x7 they cost like 5 bucks and are great sized. also 32 oz cups can be found at your local dollar tree if you realy need them. or even ebay or amazon..

for the screen. it could work. but so could a $2 vent or 2minute of burning with a wood burner or soldering iron or even a little dremal or drill would work.and you will know they cant chew [just gota be carefull on size]

CBickert

Arachnopeon
As much I would like to use the AMAC boxes, they are a bit expensive personally. Plus I don't have the tools available to create holes for ventilation. I will splurge on the final enclosure once they reach an appropriate size. Until then I would like to be economical about things. And 32 oz deli cups were the back up choice. If more people say this is a bad idea I will get the deli cups as I have some time. Just trying different option. Thanks for the input!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Tall, screw-top Gladware containers...they're like 2.50 at Target, come in a two pack and being plastic you can drill/sear holes in them quite easily. Also I'm sure you have the tools to create holes. You already said you have nails, combine those with pliers and a stove, heat the nail and voila, they burn neat even holes in plastic.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
As much I would like to use the AMAC boxes, they are a bit expensive personally. Plus I don't have the tools available to create holes for ventilation. I will splurge on the final enclosure once they reach an appropriate size. Until then I would like to be economical about things. And 32 oz deli cups were the back up choice. If more people say this is a bad idea I will get the deli cups as I have some time. Just trying different option. Thanks for the input!
no prob. i mean if u find the plastic ones, MAYBE. itd look pretty bad imo. but i dont see this working out for an arboreal, terrestrial maybe. a fossorial sling, most likely would work.. but not all amacs are expensive but id def say go to 32oz. i moved mine from 16oz to 32's and its nice. i used a paper clip to burn holes [hopefully you have a torch lighter with a lock because using a bic was annoying. id of bought butane for my torch if id of thought about it XD]

btw nice idea bella.. wish i ddint just remove our gas stove now XD

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
no prob. i mean if u find the plastic ones, MAYBE. itd look pretty bad imo. but i dont see this working out for an arboreal, terrestrial maybe. a fossorial sling, most likely would work.. but not all amacs are expensive but id def say go to 32oz. i moved mine from 16oz to 32's and its nice. i used a paper clip to burn holes [hopefully you have a torch lighter with a lock because using a bic was annoying. id of bought butane for my torch if id of thought about it XD]

btw nice idea bella.. wish i ddint just remove our gas stove now XD
you can melt holes with a small screwdriver and an electric stove if you need to. you put the end of the screwdriver between the last ring and the ring next to it on the electric range and let it heat up that way. If you have a ceramic top stove then IDK what you'll do but that's how I did my first tubs. :)

tweakz

Arachnosquire
The soldering iron I've been using for enclosures for the past two years cost me 5$! Really not a very expensive investment.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
you can melt holes with a small screwdriver and an electric stove if you need to. you put the end of the screwdriver between the last ring and the ring next to it on the electric range and let it heat up that way. If you have a ceramic top stove then IDK what you'll do but that's how I did my first tubs. :)
lol iv used a wood burner for all my animals enclosures but the only 32oz i found where just to flimsy to drill they literally bowed when i put water in them XD so i had to improvise =\ and i didnt have a small screwdriver for a 3/4-1in skiny sling

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
The soldering iron I've been using for enclosures for the past two years cost me 5$! Really not a very expensive investment.
That's what we use as well. It can even "cut" larger holes or whole panels out, in the case of my incubator, if you're determined enough.

tweakz

Arachnosquire
That's what we use as well. It can even "cut" larger holes or whole panels out, in the case of my incubator, if you're determined enough.
Although the holes are usually the perfect size, besides 2nd and 3rd instars, I've used it to melt out HUGE vent holes to be covered with mesh for my dubia colony and adult T's.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Quick question, I did a quick search for my subject but didn't find a definitive answer.
I have a few arboreal slings that will need to be rehoused into a more appropriate enclosure. Mason jars that are the tall widemouth are about $1.50 a piece and seem like a good cheap enclosure. The only problem I see is creating ventilation. I either have the choice to nail holes in the metal lid, or secure a piece of cut screen on the screw top. To me the screen seems like the easier and better option, BUT will the slings be able to "chew" through it and escape? I planned on just getting the door screen from Home Depot, will it work? Any other things I am missing as to why this idea wouldn't work? Thanks.
I did the mason jar/screen top thing 35 years ago. There FAR better spider cages available now, much cheaper. You can get a sleeve of deli cups (16 oz or 32 oz) from a restaurant supply store, and make holes in the upper sides with a cheap soldering iron, which is all I do anymore, and more than half my collection is arboreals (34 species).

One of the problems with screen tops, besides spiders being known to chew thru them, is that they allow too much airflow and that ruins the microclimate effect. The spiders are subject to too many hot and cold drafts, fumes, etc.

If you haven't read the 3rd edition of Stan Schultz's book, please, do yourself a favor and get it before you go any further in the hobby.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
lol iv used a wood burner for all my animals enclosures but the only 32oz i found where just to flimsy to drill they literally bowed when i put water in them XD so i had to improvise =\ and i didnt have a small screwdriver for a 3/4-1in skiny sling
if the cup is really that flimsy then a simple thumbtack should suffice.. ;)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
if the cup is really that flimsy then a simple thumbtack should suffice.. ;)
i did that to one lol didnt like the look XD prefered my approach looks little better to me bigger holes and less struggle XD plus i ruined 17 tacks doing other one [cant stand unburned holes lol]

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 06:01 AM ----------

Why isn't this your signature yet?
lol ikr poec says it so much youd think hes the author lol. but in all fairness 3rd is alot better also i fyou use tapatalk you cant see a sig ;) . but im glad its not like it was 5yrs ago "go to your local library grab all the books and read them" now we've narrowed it to one lmao

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why isn't this your signature yet?
It should be. There's so many questions that would be cleared up for beginners. That would free up more forum time for more important things rather than Tarantula 101 basics. It's not asking too much that they meet us halfway and do a little homework themselves. Otherwise the forum gets jammed up with newbie question threads, and the most knowledgeable collectors/breeders get bored and quit.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those could work. The only problem I foresee would be with Avicularia slings, which tend to construct their web retreats at the very top of the enclosure. You would risk destroying their handiwork every time you opened it up. A better option might be small plexiglass enclosures with pre-installed screen vents. You can situate them such that the "lid" is the floor of the cage (I hope that makes sense). When you open up the enclosure no webbing will be disturbed. None of this will be an issue with Psalmopoeus, Poecilotheria, and other "arboreal" genera that tend to burrow and build and intricate network of tunnels and web curtains.

I've never had an issue with my tarantulas chewing through screen vents.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've never had an issue with my tarantulas chewing through screen vents.
Do a search, there's pics posted here. They're strong animals with a lot of time on their hands. I had a Hysterocrates snap off a piece of a Plexiglas divider, and a Phormictopus chew a hole thru a thick piece of cork.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do a search, there's pics posted here. They're strong animals with a lot of time on their hands. I had a Hysterocrates snap off a piece of a Plexiglas divider, and a Phormictopus chew a hole thru a thick piece of cork.
Oh I'm not saying it's impossible, only that it's never happened me. I've had a mature male cambridgei do some damage to a piece of cork bark. It basically shredded the top layer. I'm sure it could have done the same to a piece of screen. I should have specified that I've only used enclosures with screen vents for slings and juvies. After seeing my P. cambridgei in action I'd hesitate to use them for adults. All of my adults are housed in enclosures with holes drilled for ventilation.

CBickert

Arachnopeon
First off thank you for all of the suggestions. Looks like I will be using 32 oz deli cups after all. I am currently using 16 oz deli cups but as the arboreals reach a larger leg span I want to rehouse them in something with a little more height. The terrestrials will continue to stay in the 32 oz.

I do have a ceramic stove as well. But I can go out and buy a soldering iron. I have been using thumbtacks to poke holes.

And I yes I may be a beginner with questions, but I do own "The Tarantula Keepers Guide."
On page 253 Stans says, "Depending on the size of the tarantula, pill bottles, baby food jars, small plastic food containers, condiment cups, and many other containers have been used." and again on page 254 he says, "Glass containers must have their lids perforated to allow for ventilation as the only resource."

After reading this I posted the thread asking primarily if this an a viable option or if it would create more complications that maybe I didn't think of being a beginner. Poec54 I appreciate your concern and comments, but if you don't allow for beginners to ask their questions, their won't be another wave of advanced keepers. We were all beginners once with more questions than answers.

And I remember you posted on my thread a few weeks ago about my A. urticans being in a "monsoon" of spray. (even though I had just misted, a little too much I'll admit) I took your advice and let it dry out. The said sling is being way more active now webbing and walking some around the enclosure. I also had my 1/2" A. versicolor sling molt successfully and have lightened the misting quantity and schedule. So I am listening to the more advanced keeper as I would like to contribute to this hobby as well.

As a wrap up, there is a restaurant supply store close by and I will check either that or the dollar store. Thanks for everyones advice.

OH and all of my slings/juvies (no adults at the moment as I started with slings) are housed in my closet away from the ceiling fan I use at night, along with the A/C vent. BUT are able to get a peek of natural light daily. Hopefully their microclimate is stable within the containers and appropriate for each of the different species.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Poec54 I appreciate your concern and comments, but if you don't allow for beginners to ask their questions, their won't be another wave of advanced keepers. We were all beginners once with more questions than answers.
The days of glass bottles and jars are pretty much behind us, as weight and ventilation holes have always been an issue with them. Plastic is more versatile and cheaper. The cross ventilation available with plastic helps reduce mold and overly stuffy cages.

I obviously allow beginners to ask their questions, as I answer and help many of them. One reason I have so many 'thanks/likes.'