Aphonopelma genus characteristics?

Stickman

Arachnopeon
I am curious to know what the key identification features are of the Aphonopelma genus.
This would be in terms of specific traits (morphological) that belong to the species in this genus specifically.

I ask because I have not come across much info to ID them apart from other genera,
and also because in South Africa we do not have many of these species in our collections.
I have a supposed A. anax juvenile and would like to confirm at least the genus of my spider.

Feel free to add species specific characteristics such as hair length and densities, leg lengths, carapace and chelicerae morphology, colour (although does not hold much ground), etc (and pics too, if possible) if you like.
I am not sure if a similar thread has already been posted, is so then please post a link to it on this thread.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Unfortunately, the genus is such a mess not only from a taxonomic standpoint but they also seem to overlap in some places naturally, that most people ID them based on locality or as whatever it was sold as. If you're concerned that the tarantula you have isn't an Aphonopelma (which is the impression I'm getting, aside from just a species level concern) post a picture. No one will likely be able to tell you which, but affirming it's genus shouldn't be an issue.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately, the genus is such a mess not only from a taxonomic standpoint but they also seem to overlap in some places naturally, that most people ID them based on locality or as whatever it was sold as. If you're concerned that the tarantula you have isn't an Aphonopelma (which is the impression I'm getting, aside from just a species level concern) post a picture. No one will likely be able to tell you which, but affirming it's genus shouldn't be an issue.
Agreed there are only a few of the genus that stand out, but generally the genus is very calm and grows slow. Some of the slings look like Grammies so good luck if it is very small. I had a baby a.anax which was a light Carmel color, which the genus is native to north america too making things more interesting, which a.anax is very endemic to places like Texas, Oklahoma etc

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I am curious to know what the key identification features are of the Aphonopelma genus.
This would be in terms of specific traits (morphological) that belong to the species in this genus specifically.
For generic characters, see Prentice 1997. This article can be downloaded for free from the American Arachnological Society website. www.americanarachnology.org
Prentice, T. R. (1997). Theraphosidae of the Mojave Desert west and north of the Colorado River (Araneae, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae). Journal of Arachnology 25: 137-176.

Feel free to add species specific characteristics such as hair length and densities, leg lengths, carapace and chelicerae morphology, colour (although does not hold much ground), etc (and pics too, if possible) if you like.
Identifying pet trade material to species level may prove very difficult as the specific characters for most Aphonopelma species are not well defined. I suggest you use the World Spider Catalog web site and find as much of the material on Aphonopelma anax as possible and at least eliminate A. anax as a possibility if you can't key it up with available published material.

I will also refer you to Chris Hamilton's website as he has excellent photographs of several Texas species of Aphonopelma, including A. anax.

It needs to be said though that you will need at least a good molt of an adult spider to determine it's species so you will be waiting a long time if your supposed A. anax is a juvenile

- Lonnie.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 02:47 PM ----------

which a.anax is very endemic to places like Texas, Oklahoma etc
A. anax is only found in south Texas

awiec

Arachnoprince
I only knew of their general area of where they were, some reading material argued that they are found elsewhere but when in doubt read the scientific literature. I'll have to familiarize myself with the species localities more, I can only tell apart a few.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Send as high-quality photo as you can to Dr. Brent Hendrixson, "Brent H" on here. He is specifically working on sorting out the Genus Aphonopelma and will be releasing the culmination of many years of hard work in a scientific paper next year. If my memory serves me correctly from his presentation at this year's American Tarantula Society Conference, he has narrowed down all of the North American Aphonopelma into sixteen species. Brent is "the man" when it comes to Aphonopelma!
Good luck!

Quick link: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/member.php?6162-Brent-H.