White mites!!

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Hey everyone! I found white mithes in the waterdish of my brachypelma smithi sling. I keep sub dry. What must i do? Clean everyting?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Only in the water dish? Are you sure it isn't just springtails?

Draven

Arachnopeon
Have seen crickets lay eggs in the sub close to the water dish and the baby that comes out usually then go for the water if the enclosure is dry. That's probably the main reason I changed to roaches

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Neoza

Arachnobaron
No im sure it are mites! They are also in the enclosure. Besides its the enclosure of a sling and i feed him baby crickets so they cant lay eggs.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If the substrate is completely dry, the enclosure must have poor ventilation or something to allow enough humidity for the mites to survive. Most mites desiccate very easily, and die in dry conditions. You use a water dish for a sling? Pictures would be helpful.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Ventilation is good! Its not very humid, its a smithi so they dont need high humidity. And yes i use a waterdish for a sling ( its a real small water dish and its already a big sling). I checked the tarantula keepers guide and they say that i need to wash and rewash everything. I did this though. But im worried that my other spiders also are in danger and that the mites will come back. And sorry i already cleaned everything, it was my first reaction.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 07:49 PM ----------

Well i have to say i live in a humid country, it rains a loooot (65-70% natural humidity). Maybe its related to that?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well i have to say i live in a humid country, it rains a loooot (65-70% natural humidity). Maybe its related to that?
Same where I live, humidity in that range (sometimes higher in the summer months) with frequent rainfall. I haven't had any mite issues with my T enclosures.

I wonder why only one of your enclosures had mites? Do you have any pics of your set smithi enclosure? Is it near the others?

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
assuming the sub is COMPLETELY dry, you can try just removing the water dish for a week and letting the mites dry out. they'll either leave or die without a moisture source. assuming it's plump and healthy, the T will be fine without a water dish for a week or so.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Same where I live, humidity in that range (sometimes higher in the summer months) with frequent rainfall. I haven't had any mite issues with my T enclosures.

I wonder why only one of your enclosures had mites? Do you have any pics of your set smithi enclosure? Is it near the others?
Same, never had any problems with my emperors over a few years. What are you using for a hide? Anything from outside? In the past I deviated from using anything from outside, no matter how much I boiled and baked it, because of stuff like this.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Same, never had any problems with my emperors over a few years. What are you using for a hide? Anything from outside? In the past I deviated from using anything from outside, no matter how much I boiled and baked it, because of stuff like this.
What do I use for hides? Or are you asking Neoza?

I use mostly cork bark, usually the rounds or rounds cracked in half.

Neoza

Arachnobaron

Yes i was wondered to, i never thought i have to deal with mites! And yes the enclosures of my T's stand next to eachother. I checked the other waterdishes and enclosures an i see nothing.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 09:52 PM ----------

assuming the sub is COMPLETELY dry, you can try just removing the water dish for a week and letting the mites dry out. they'll either leave or die without a moisture source. assuming it's plump and healthy, the T will be fine without a water dish for a week or so.
i already cleaned everything, i will see if they come back.

---------- Post added 09-17-2014 at 09:53 PM ----------

No i never use things from outside.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
This is the pic of his enclosure. It was always like this. There are lots of holes in the sides of the enclosure. And thanks for reply guys :) image.jpg

Neoza

Arachnobaron
I just checked his cage and i see again mites in the waterdish. Im going to try what 'timisimaginery' said, take out the waterdish for a few days and than put it back in and see if they come back! :(

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just checked his cage and i see again mites in the waterdish. Im going to try what 'timisimaginery' said, take out the waterdish for a few days and than put it back in and see if they come back! :(
Could you please try taking a better picture of the waterdish with those "mites"? I'm pretty sure it's what vespers suggested: Tiny springtails. They're always ending up in the waterdish and besides not being harmful, just take it out and clean it, then put it back.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Could you please try taking a better picture of the waterdish with those "mites"? I'm pretty sure it's what vespers suggested: Tiny springtails. They're always ending up in the waterdish and besides not being harmful, just take it out and clean it, then put it back.
I don't have a picture of the mites because i already threw them away. And it cant be springtails because i fed baby rickets and they can't lay eggs. And they are to tiny, you can barely see the mites, you have to have good eyes for seeing it.

---------- Post added 09-18-2014 at 02:53 PM ----------

When i see the mites again i will take a picture.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Springtails have nothing at all to do with crickets.
Sorry my english.. I thought springtails were baby crickets, what are they? sorry for this noob question but i already tried to translate it but i get nothing.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Springtails are very tiny, often white, organisms that look like tiny insects. When in a terrarium, its common to find many of them at a time floating on the surface of the water in a water dish. They're actually beneficial, and act as enclosure cleaners. Dart frog keepers usually intentionally add them to natural vivariums, to act as tank janitors and feeders for tiny froglets. They often show up in enclosures "on their own" as well.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5104/5741804642_77eef30091_z.jpg
http://www.livefoodcultures.com/_borders/Springtails_3.jpg
http://www.dartfrog.tk/uploads/images/springtailculture8.jpg

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Springtails are very tiny, often white, organisms that look like tiny insects. When in a terrarium, its common to find many of them at a time floating on the surface of the water in a water dish. They're actually beneficial, and act as enclosure cleaners. Dart frog keepers usually intentionally add them to natural vivariums, to act as tank janitors and feeders for tiny froglets. They often show up in enclosures "on their own" as well.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5104/5741804642_77eef30091_z.jpg
http://www.livefoodcultures.com/_borders/Springtails_3.jpg
http://www.dartfrog.tk/uploads/images/springtailculture8.jpg
Oh thank you for info!!! It could be that! How do i know the difference between mites or springtails? And when it are springtails, i actually don't want them so what must i do? When they don't harm the T I'm not going to clean everything because that just stresses the T out but i can clean the water dish frequently. When I'm home i will post a pic! Thank you !!