My tarantula is bleeding :/ pictures inside

Testamento

Arachnopeon
I noticed a little bleed from one of the front legs. Its not big, but I see there is a little bubble. Is this dangerous, and is there any thing I should do regarding this?

View attachment 130028

awiec

Arachnoprince
I noticed a little bleed from one of the front legs. Its not big, but I see there is a little bubble. Is this dangerous, and is there any thing I should do regarding this?

View attachment 130028
You could sprinkle some corn starch on it but seeing as it's on a palp the T can cut off the circulation and pop the palp off, which will come back the next molt.

Testamento

Arachnopeon
So, maybe the best thing to do is to let her rest and let nature do its wonders, or should I try to go the corn starch route?

awiec

Arachnoprince
So, maybe the best thing to do is to let her rest and let nature do its wonders, or should I try to go the corn starch route?
Whatever you feel is best, if it continues bleeding and she doesn't cast it off then you might want to put something on it. But you're the one who has to get her to hold still long enough to put the starch on and she probably won't be happy about it, so it's your decision

Testamento

Arachnopeon
Whatever you feel is best, if it continues bleeding and she doesn't cast it off then you might want to put something on it. But you're the one who has to get her to hold still long enough to put the starch on and she probably won't be happy about it, so it's your decision
The bleeding has decreased. Its no more bubble, just a little wet spot. Ill check again later. How long do you guys recommend to let the wound bleed before taking action with cornstach/Maizena?

Need to prepare with full moonsuit and some qtips to rub it on. I know she wont be happy and will try to kill me

awiec

Arachnoprince
The bleeding has decreased. Its no more bubble, just a little wet spot. Ill check again later. How long do you guys recommend to let the wound bleed before taking action with cornstach/Maizena?
I'd wait a day but keep a close eye on her, though she will probably be fine and might just take off the palp.

Testamento

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the newb question, but is there a chance that the wound will heal, and she will keep the palp?

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
it won't bleed to death from the palp. not worth stressing the T further trying to help it. let nature and the T take care of itself. it's only worth trying to treat something like this if it's on the carapace or abdomen.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sorry for the newb question, but is there a chance that the wound will heal, and she will keep the palp?
Maybe, but if not she will grow a new one if she casts off her palp. A lost palp is not very detrimental, I've had a 5 legged sling before and it was very capable of trying to bite me just like it was when it had all of its limbs. If she throws it off, the palp will probably be smaller that the other after she re-grows it but it will be normal again when she molts again.

cold blood

Staff member
You positive it isn't from the freshly killed roach? That's what it appears to be to me.

Either way, its of zero concern...do nothing.

About the only time you need to worry about stopping bleeding or injuries is if the damage is to the body, legs are a dime a dozen (ok, and 8-pack).

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you sure it's not bug guts versus hemolymph? Some spiders are messy eaters.

Ts can and have bled out from leg injuries. Typically, if the spider feels a leg injury is significant, it will autotomize the leg. The act of removing the leg causes the muscles to constrict at the coxa thus sealing the wound and preventing gross hemolymph loss. Wounds to either the prosoma or the abdomen are usually of greater concern.

Akai

Arachnobaron
I'm guessing that's superworm-fluid :D
That's what it looks like to me honestly. Any sort of worm feeder tend to squirt all over when they are punctured. Don't get me started on wax worms. They explode. lol

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
That's almost certainly hemolymph from the superworm, not the spider. If it's not, (sincerely doubt that) it's no big deal if it's a small leak on an appendage. Don't worry about it. Good picture, though. I wish every "help me with this" thread came with one of this quality.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
You positive it isn't from the freshly killed roach?
+8 to all who say bug bits. I had a chameleon a few years back, and I loved giving her hornworms. Especially after feeding them small pieces of different coloured vegetables. :D It was like a Gallagher Splash Zone to be standing too close at feedings.

That droplet is pretty much the perfect colour of the inside of that super worm. And boy, they explode on impact.