My Missing C. bertae

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

Ever since I got my 1/4" sling Cyriocosmus bertae on Saturday, and I rehoused it into a container about 3" across and about 3" high about half filled with cocohusk, I haven't seen it. I'm concerned it may have escaped through one of the holes in the lid that I may have made too big. However, I have found evidence of some slight webbing, and I can see areas against the sides and bottom of the container that may be tiny tunnels, though it may just be my imagination. I plopped a little cricket in there yesterday, and it's still there today. Is it possible that it just hasn't found it yet if it's busy digging tunnels? Should I remove it? How do you find a tiny spiderling loose in your room? Any ideas, guys?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
A picture of the lid/enclosure may be more helpful to judge. I always get a little nervous when I can't see my 1/4" slings, but they're always there eventually.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
1/4" sling probably isn't going to take down a live cricket. try pre-killed pinheads, or just take the leg off a cricket and leave it in there. even then it may not take it if it's pre-molt, or not comfortable yet in it's new container.
how big are the holes? pinhole-size? bigger? anything larger than a pinhole-sized hole is an escape risk for a sling that small. there's a good chance your T is just burrowed and hiding at the moment, but if you're worried the holes are too big, change them ASAP before it gets a chance to find out.

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
IMG_1672.jpg

Here is the lid. Note that the cricket in there was sold to me as a "pinhead," though having seen newly-hatched crickets I'd say it's moulted at least once since hatching.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Here is the lid. Note that the cricket in there was sold to me as a "pinhead," though having seen newly-hatched crickets I'd say it's moulted at least once since hatching.
Those holes make me nervous. Why not use a small drill bit so they're not so irregular and easy for a sling to slip thru.

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
Would if I could, but I don't have access to a drill and don't have the cash to buy one (student :p).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Would if I could, but I don't have access to a drill and don't have the cash to buy one (student :p).

I'd think someone you know has one you could borrow. If not, for a sling that small, use a pin. Soldering irons are cheap, and I make small holes with the tip of (and maybe you know someone with a soldering iron).

If it hasn't already escaped thru one of those holes, it still can. For a spider that small, you don't need airholes in the cup immediately.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
With slings that small i use a needle to make airholes. And with 2nd instar Cyriocosmus i make sure the needle only barely pierces the plastic.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
I'd think someone you know has one you could borrow. If not, for a sling that small, use a pin. Soldering irons are cheap, and I make small holes with the tip of (and maybe you know someone with a soldering iron).

If it hasn't already escaped thru one of those holes, it still can. For a spider that small, you don't need airholes in the cup immediately.
Totally agree- those holes are way too big - I had an escapee 2 months ago - never found it:( - to make smaller holes - a safety pin straightened out and a cigarette lighter - hope your sling is still in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akai

Arachnobaron
With slings that small i use a needle to make airholes. And with 2nd instar Cyriocosmus i make sure the needle only barely pierces the plastic.
This +1. These should be thumbtack size holes for 1/4 inch slings. I'd fish around to see if it's in there and if it is in there I'd definitely rehouse it and use the above advice.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Totally agree- those holes are way too big - I had an escapee 2 months ago - never found it:( - to make smaller holes - a safety pin straightened out and a cigarette lighter - hope your sling is still in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EXACTLY!

Dude I had holes that looked similar to yours.... smaller, but slightly cracked. Because this skewer I used would slightly split the deli cup. I thought it was smaller than my T, a 1/4" B. Albopilosum...

It wasn't. Now I'm short one T. This was about a week ago.

I made sure EVERY enclosure is now made with holes from pins. Use safely pins, sewing needles, a thumbnail may even work. These holes must be 100% without a doubt smaller than the CARAPACE of the Tarantula.

On a brighter note, I thought once my H. mac sling disappeared and died. It sure enough was fine.... just built a new home hidden away from everything. Your T could be fine too.

But fix those holes!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I had a similar scare with my C.elegans about a week after getting them as teeny slings (they're now sub-adults), except my holes were pinpricks so they couldn't have gotten out. I eventually found them burrowed deep into the substrate--the burrow entrances were so small and inconspicuous that they were easy to overlook.