Is my A. australis really in premolt?

Sonic53

Arachnopeon
Guys, my female A. australis was sold to me as premolt. And it's color is dull than the normal one. But she's so active at night. And that confuses me if she's really in premolt because scorpions that are on this process are supposedly inactive and stays in its burrow until it molts. Guys, can someone explain it to me what's going on with her and it's coloration? Thank you in advance, sirs/ma'am.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
A few pictures would help. "Premolt" is kind of a weird term because technically a scorpion is always in pre molt before its next molt ... Scorpions that are close to molting are pretty obviously "fat" in appearance.

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A few pictures would help. "Premolt" is kind of a weird term because technically a scorpion is always in pre molt before its next molt ... Scorpions that are close to molting are pretty obviously "fat" in appearance.
Are you trying to confuse them? Come on. You know what was implied by 'premolt'. And simply relying on "fatness" isn't going to help either unless you know what instar the scorpion is, which I'm sure this person doesn't.

http://www.allscorpionarchives.com/t10-how-to-what-is-molting-and-premolt-in-scorpion-context

Wow. That was easy. And look, pictures!

Last edited:

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you can post a picture, we can give you a pretty good estimate =)

Cheers,

Rob

---------- Post added 09-19-2014 at 03:46 PM ----------

Damn, a scorpion hobbyist who is splitting atoms...

Sonic53

Arachnopeon
If you can post a picture, we can give you a pretty good estimate =)

Cheers,

Rob

---------- Post added 09-19-2014 at 03:46 PM ----------

Damn, a scorpion hobbyist who is splitting
Sir, first of all I wanna thank you for replying the post. I really appreciated it. Here are the photos, sir.

Attachments

MountainGeckos

Arachnopeon
She may be in the earlier stage of being pre-moult. Or she may be gravid. Or just fat lol. Once she burrows and stays in the burrow at all times means she's getting close to a moult :)

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doesn't really look pre-molt to me, I could be wrong though. The animal just looks like it has been well fed!

Cheers,

Rob

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Something to look for is seeing that it's digging around more than usual and scraping with the tail, getting things out of the way. You'd see that if there is not a good place to hide and so preparing to molt on the surface. They become noticeably more defensive too. Normally if they weren't about to molt and not hungry they would not be so defensive toward things that are normally prey, but when preparing to molt, they make an effort to chase threats away from them more than usual.

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
looks like its a molt or 2 away from maturity. try to feed a few times more. i think it needs to get fed more until the next molt.